Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. I might receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Tomato Basil Tortellini soup is a homemade tomato soup with cheese filled tortellini in every bite. Pair grilled cheese and tomato soup for a hearty weeknight dinner.
This creamy Instant Pot Tortellini Soup is so simple to make, full of rich flavors, and a creamy based soup. You can save the leftovers and meal prep for a few days for a quick grab and go lunch or dinner.
Tomato Basil Tortellini
This is the best tomato soup recipe I have made in quite some time. The Instant Pot helps to infuse all the flavors for a rich soup that takes a fraction of the time to make.
- Roma Tomatoes
- Seasonings and Spices
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Chicken Stock
How to Make Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup
To make this soup you will start by turning on the saute feature. Add in half the tomatoes and toss in the garlic, onions, oil, and salt and pepper.
Cook for 5-7 minutes making sure to stir often or it will burn on the saute feature.
Now you will turn the saute off, and add all items but the tortellini in. Place the lid on and do a sealing on the valve. Cook for 5 minutes on manual pressure. Do a natural release for 10-15 minutes.
Then blend up your soup to get a creamier texture. Add in the tortellini, and cook 3-4 minutes or until the pasta is soft and cooked.
Salt and pepper to taste!
Supplies for Homemade Tomato Soup
- Immersion blender | Use an immersion blender to blend the tomato basil soup recipe right in the inner pot. This saves time and dishes.
- Wooden spoons | This set of wooden spoons is attractive and comes with a space-saving container to display the spoons in. It makes it easy to grab a spoon while cooking.
- Nonstick inner pot | A nonstick inner pot is a handy tool to have because it makes cleanup so much easier.
- Living basil | Basil can be found at some grocery stores, but it isn't always in season. Living basil is my go-to because it is fresher.
- Hydroponic gardening system for fresh herbs | Since fresh herbs aren't in season for many people, a hydroponic gardening system is an ideal way to grow your own fresh herbs year round. You can also use this hydroponic gardening system for lettuce.
What to Serve with Tomato Basil Soup
Grilled cheese is a classic to serve with this. Since the tortellini is in the soup, it kind of makes it a meal in one. Or pair with some bread, a side salad, etc.
I have also heated this soup up for lunch the next day and did a classic side salad and it complimented each other really well.
Best Tortellini To Use
Refrigerated tortellini is what I reached for. I love the flavor and the texture of the tortellini. If you don't have fresh you can use frozen or dried. You will need to adjust the cook time to fit the type of pasta you use.
You can also look for different flavored tortellini if you would like. I reached for a cheese filled pasta, so it would be mild and compliment the acidity of the tomato soup.
Feel free to store your leftover soup in the fridge. Just place in a proper container and store for a few days.
Then to reheat go ahead and warm it up in the microwave, on the stove, etc.
Craving More Instant Pot Soups
- Chicken Florentine Soup | A rich and creamy chicken Florentine soup that is so delicious to make. Whip this up for dinner tonight.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup | Serve up this creamy broccoli cheese soup for dinner today. It is a super easy soup that takes no time to get it cooking.
- Chicken Noodle Soup | If you are craving a comfort soup, this chicken noodle will hit the spot. Tons of flavor in every decadent bite.
- Immersion blender
- Wooden spoons
- Nonstick inner pot
- Living basil
- Hydroponic gardening system for fresh herbs
Easy Instant Pot Tomato Soup with Tortellini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 pounds Roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 28-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh chopped basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 (20-ounce) package of ready-made tortellini (found in refrigerated section of your grocery store)
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add the olive oil.
- Wash and cut the tomatoes in half, and then add them to the Instant Pot.
- Add the garlic, onions, and salt and pepper to the tomatoes and stir.
- Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Turn the sauté mode off and add all remaining ingredients for the homemade tomato soup, with the exception of the tortellini.
- Deglaze the bottom of the pot by scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the valve to sealing.
- Set to manual high pressure cooking time for 5 minutes.
- When the cooking time finishes, allow for a natural pressure release. This should take 10-15 minutes. Let our any additional steam if necessary. When the pin drops, it is safe to open the lid.
- Blend soup using in immersion blender in the pot.
- Add the tortellini to the soup, and then cook on the sauté mode for 3-4 minutes until pasta cooks.
- Add additional salt and pepper to season, as needed.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 1018mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 6gSugar: 11gProtein: 6g