Sharing is caring!
The Southwest is well-known for its connecting four states and delicious tex-mex meals, so it was only right to whip up a Mexican-inspired culinary dish for a twist on pan-roasted Tilapia in its honor. Bursting with hints of lime and honey, our Southwestern Fruity Salsa Tilapia is filled with enough chunks of avocado and zucchini to give you that airy feeling on a hot sunny day.
Table of contents
I hate to admit it, but I have a love and hate relationship with Summer.
There are days when I can't wait to don a swimsuit and camp out at the nearest lake, and then there are times where waking up drenched in sweat and humidity sends me up a tree.
Balance is what I like to shrug it off as, but being energy depleted before lunchtime does not make for a very productive day- and with my current hectic schedule, I cannot afford to be wiped out. I know many of you are in the same boat.
This is why for the days when the heat is above my tolerance range, I opt for meals that are light but nutrient-dense.
Filled with vitamins but with enough flavor to not feel deprived or restricted, I go with 'grab-bag' ideas that can be quickly thrown together with minimal effort. This Southwestern Fruity Salsa Tilapia is my go-to summertime recipe for this, and I have no complaints.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Keto and low carb friendly
- A light and airy meal for extremely hot weather
- Salsa can be a standalone meal
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
Here's what you will need to recreate this dish:
- Tilapia fillets
- Olive oil
- Green onions
- Chipotle powder
- Oranges, limes, and lemon
HOW TO MAKE TILAPIA WITH FRUITY SOUTHWESTERN SALSA
Incorporating fruits, vegetables, and protein, this Southwestern Fruity Salsa Tilapia is a healthy alternative to traditional tex-mex food. Here's how to prepare it:
- With a bowl underneath, grab your avocados, knife, spoon, and de-pit your avocados, placing the halves into the bowl and then dicing them into small thick chunks.
- Next, grab your limes and gently squeeze the juice into a separate container for later use.
- In a small bowl, cut up your oranges, lemon, and limes into tiny chunks and add in the avocado chunks.
- Next, slice up your green onions and add the onion's white portions to your avocado mixture. Save the green onions as garnish.
- Grab your honey, lime juice, and salt, and blend well. Once combined, pour the mixture onto avocado and fruit chunks and give it a good toss.
- Once completely coated, sprinkle on chipotle powder and sit aside.
- Grab your tilapia fillets, and in a bowl, coat both sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Next, grab a microwave-safe dish with a lid and place your zucchini noodles with 2-3 tablespoons of water added into the microwave on high for approximately 3 minutes.
- While noodles are heating up, take your large-sized skillet and heat olive oil on medium-high heat to prepare the fillets.
- Once the skillet is hot, add in Tilapia and brown on both sides.
- Plate fillets on top of zucchini noodles, cover with fruit salsa and garnish with remaining green onions. Serve immediately.
TIPS FOR MAKING TILAPIA WITH FRUITY SOUTHWESTERN SALSA
- Prepare all your ingredients before cooking. This recipe cooks quickly, and you do not want things overcooking while you are preparing other things.
- If Tilapia is frozen, be sure to thaw thoroughly and brine (if necessary) before cooking.
ADDITIONAL RECIPES TO TRY
Supplies used to make a delicious Tilapia with Fruity Southwestern Salsa recipe
- Avocado Tool
- Mixing Bowls
- Wooden Spoon
- Spiralizer (Zoodle Maker)
- Microwave dish
- Large Skillet
- Salt and Pepper Grinder
Ingredients used to make the best Tilapia with Fruity Southwestern Salsa recipe
- Slice the avocados through the skin and around the pit in their center. Place the whole avocado between your hands and twist in opposite directions to separate the avocado from its pit.
- Once you have the pit out, use a spoon to scoop the meat from their skins.
- Next, coarsely dice the avocado halves and place them in a small mixing bowl and add your fruit chunks.
- Combine these chunks with the avocado pieces and the white parts of the green onions. Slice some of the green parts of the onions for garnish.
- Now, mix the lime juice, honey, and salt in a separate small bowl until well-mixed. Pour over the avocado and fruit pieces, and toss them to coat everything.
- Sprinkle the chipotle powder over the salsa and set aside while you cook the zoodles.
- Place your zoodles in a microwave-safe dish with a lid and add 2 tablespoons of water, and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until they are cooked to your satisfaction.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil while you salt and pepper on both sides of each fillet.
- Brown the fillets in the hot oil for 4 minutes per side. Move the fillets to a plate and keep them warm.
- Make a bed of zoodles on a serving plate and add a cooked tilapia fillet. Sprinkle salsa over the warm fish and top with the remaining green onions. Serve right away. Yum!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Latent Epicure Battery Operated Salt and Pepper Grinder Set (Pack of 2 Mills) - Complimentary Mill Rest | Bright Light | Adjustable Coarseness |
Rachael Ray 87631-T Cucina Hard Anodized Nonstick Skillet with Helper Handle, 14 Inch Frying Pan, Gray/Red
Pyrex Basics Clear Glass Baking Dishes - 2 Piece Value-Plus Pack - 1 Each: 3 Quart Oblong, 2 Quart Square
Toshiba ML-EM34P(SS) Smart Countertop Microwave Oven Works with Alexa, Humidity Sensor and Sound On/Off Function, 1100W, 1.3 Cu Ft, Stainless Steel
Brieftons 7-Blade Vegetable Spiralizer: Strongest-Heaviest Spiral Slicer, Best Veggie Pasta Spaghetti Maker for Low Carb / Paleo / Gluten-Free Meals, With Container, Lid, Blade Caddy & 4 Recipe Ebooks
EasyOh 3 Pack Kitchen Whisk 8"+10"+12", Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set, Whisks for Cooking, Blending, Whisking, Beating, Stirring
Wooden Spoons for Cooking,Nonstick Kitchen Utensil Set,Wooden Spoons Cooking Utensil Set Non Scratch Natural Teak Wooden Utensils for Cooking(Teak 8 Pack)
Mixing Bowls with Airtight Lids, 6 Piece Stainless Steel Metal Bowls by Umite Chef, Measurement Marks & Colorful Non-Slip Bottoms Size 7, 3.5, 2.5, 2.0,1.5, 1QT, Great for Mixing & Serving
OXO Good Grips 3-in-1 Avocado Slicer - Green
Amount Per Serving Calories 1Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 2mgCarbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g
Jessica McCoy is a seasoned food blogger with 14+ years of experience in the industry. As a self-taught home cook, she enjoys creating and finetuning easy recipes that are fool proof and simple for anyone to make. Her expertise is in all things kitchen: cooking tips, air fryer recipes, Instant Pot and other pressure cooking recipes, and slow cooker recipes. Jessica was the previous owner of AllSheCooks, where she focused on easy every day recipes including budget friendly dinner recipes and desserts.
Sharing is caring!