This is the best Chicken Tikka Masala recipe you'll ever have. And the best part? You get to use your Instant Pot to cook it perfectly time and time again. If you're looking for a hearty meal, this is the one for you.
Make certain to check out our Chicken and Rice Burrito Bowl as well! It's another super simple chicken dish that tastes amazing.
The Best Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
There's nothing quite like the flavors that you find in this Chicken Tikka Masala recipe. It's a light flavor that adds a warm comfort to your heart and soul.
And if your family is anything like my family, we eat a ton of chicken but are constantly looking for new ways to put a spin on it to get new flavor and taste.
This is why this simple chicken recipe needs to be on your radar. It's an easy way to make a delicious meal that will have everyone loading their bowls for round two.
Kitchen Supplies We Used to Make Chicken Marsala WITH Pot-in-Pot Rice
- Glass meal prep freezer containers | We used these meal prep glass containers to marinate the marsala chicken for this recipe in the refrigerator overnight AND to store leftovers in the freezer for a quick heat and go meal later in the month.
- Non-stick inner pot | This is my go-to inner pot to use when cooking any type of meat. It really does prevent a bunch of stuck on food and is easier to clean.
- High trivet | We used this trivet to put over the chicken marsala in this recipe and cooked a pan of rice on top of it at the same time as the chicken was cooking.
- 7-inch pan for pot-in-pot rice | While technically a cake pan, this 7-inch pan comes in handy for all our pot-in-pot cooking. It's such a time savings to be able to cook two recipes at one time, like we did for this chicken marsala and rice recipes.
Chicken Tikka Masala Ingredients
- Greek yogurt
- Fresh ginger
- Garlic powder
- Ground cumin
- Ground coriander
- Cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Skinless chicken breast
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Fresh ginger
- Tomato paste
- Crushed tomatoes
- Garam masala
- Heavy cream
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Basmati rice
Is Chicken Tikka Masala an Indian dish?
It is. The flavors added to this dish are the flavors that you'll find in many traditional Indian dishes as well.
What does tikka mean in Indian?
The word tikka means actually means "a cut of meat" which is why we choose to use chicken in this recipe.
The chicken pairs perfectly with the Indian spices and the added rice.
What is the difference between butter chicken and chicken tikka masala?
People will actually get these two recipes confused and while they can be similar, they have major differences in flavor. Butter chicken uses more cream in the recipe and tends to have a lighter color while tikka masala is more tomato-based and will be a darker sauce.
How to Eat This Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
There are many ways that you can enjoy this simple Chicken Tikka Masala recipe so it's really up to you.
Some people don't like to mix together rice and chicken and that is fine to eat them separately. The other option would be to mix it all together and have all the ingredients in each and every bite.
And if you're trying to cut out some of the carbs, you can omit the rice altogether, too. Just replace with some sauteed veggies or steamed veggies or even just eat from a bowl on its own.