Sharing is caring!
Looking for a sweetened condensed milk substitute? You've come to the right place.
There’s just something about sweetened condensed milk that can instantly make any dessert recipe sing. You know that- you know how it can transform the taste, flavor, and texture of whatever it is that you’re making.
But what happens if you don’t have it at hand? Or what if you’re looking for an alternative? Well, there are quite a few substitutes and replacements for you to pick from when you look for a sweetened condensed milk substitute. Scroll down and keep reading to discover more about them.
Whether you're making pumpkin pie or some other yummy recipe that calls for sweetened milk instead of regular milk, you're in luck because we're here to give you options to use if you don't have that essential ingredient on hand.
Sweetened condensed milk is a common ingredient in many sweet dessert recipes like pies and fudge.
What is Sweetened Condensed Milk?
Sweetened condensed milk is actually a pretty simple concoction- it is cow’s milk that is reduced down to such an extent, that almost all of the water that it contains is evaporated, and you’re left with a slightly caramelly, thick, and creamy mixture.
Sugar is also added into the mix to give the mixture some sweetness that it is so famous for. It has a very thick consistency, and store-bought sweetened condensed milk has a long shelf life, so you can stock up on it when you find a real deal at the store.
This process is usually done on medium to low heat, and the resulting mixture is generally high in fat and calorie content.
How to Make Sweetened Condensed Milk
Let’s get real- even though there are some pretty good sweetened condensed milk substitutes out there, sometimes, there’s no match for the real thing, especially if there’s a specific recipe that revolves around it. And if you don’t have a can in your pantry and don’t fancy a trip to the supermarket, you can actually scratch-make it yourself.
There are two simple ways to make sweetened condensed milk from scratch, right in your kitchen. Depending on what you prefer, you can go ahead with either of these methods.
As long as you have the key ingredient, you will be ready to go. It's the only thing you simply must-have. And, to store your homemade recipe, don't forget an airtight container.
Stovetop Sweetened Condensed Milk Substitute
Microwave Sweetened Condensed Milk Substitute
Other Substitutes for Sweetened Condensed Milk
Canned Coconut Cream- Often Labeled Cream of Coconut
Sweetened Condensed Milk Recipe
What To Do With Leftover Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Top your dry or stale brownies with a generous drizzle of condensed milk and microwave for a few seconds before you dig in. It lends a nice bit of creaminess and softens up the brownie wonderfully.
- Top your scoop of basic vanilla ice cream with some condensed milk for some extra flavor. Or better yet- add it to your homemade ice cream to lend it that delicious, rich taste.
- Add some of it to your iced tea or coffee to give it a creamy taste.
- Drizzle some of the condensed milk over a bowl of fresh fruit to transform it into a fancy-looking dessert.
- Add a splash of the condensed milk to your homemade milkshake or smoothie or even into your breakfast bowl.
- Spread some of it over your morning toast.
- Mix it with some melted chocolate and roughly broken-up biscuits or cookies, pour the mixture into a baking tray, and allow it to set before cutting into squares- it can be a wonderful sweet treat to whip up and enjoy as a dessert.
- You could also look up an easy fudge recipe and utilize your leftover condensed milk.
- Make up a key lime pie recipe.
Jessica McCoy is a seasoned food blogger with 14+ years of experience in the industry. As a self-taught home cook, she enjoys creating and finetuning easy recipes that are fool proof and simple for anyone to make. Her expertise is in all things kitchen: cooking tips, air fryer recipes, Instant Pot and other pressure cooking recipes, and slow cooker recipes. Jessica was the previous owner of AllSheCooks, where she focused on easy every day recipes including budget friendly dinner recipes and desserts.
Sharing is caring!