Ditch the grill and try out our Asian-inspired Sweet Chilli Sticky Chicken Legs for your next backyard fiesta! Dipped in an irresistible sweet chilli sauce, sprinkled with sesame seeds and garlic, you'd swear that you're eating Chinese take-out after taking the first bite!
The sweet combination of honey, rice vinegar, and oven-roasted garlic (or air-roasted in this case) makes this dish finger-licking good!
Inspired by our love for all things take-out, this dish is a quick way to feel like you're having a weeknight splurge - minus the 45-minute delivery wait and tip.
Looking for more chicken recipes? Check out what's trending!
- Thai Chicken Wraps
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Casserole with Rice
- Chicken Wings with Sticky Sauce
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Leek Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipe
- Copycat Panda Express Black Pepper Chicken
- Orange Chicken Recipe
Since purchasing the air-fryer, weekly meal prep has been a breeze.
For a family-size bag of chicken drumsticks, I spend no more than 20 minutes max in cook time after cleaning and seasoning the meat.
Before, I prepared this recipe on the oven- or in the fryer when I was looking for a crispier texture.
Although delicious, when I found out that I could recreate the dish minus all the added grease in the air fryer I went for it!
Who really needs another reason to ditch added fat?
Table of contents
- Chicken drumsticks
- Olive oil
- All-purpose flour
- Pepper flakes
- Garlic salt
- Garlic cloves
- Rice vinegar
- Sweet chilli sauce
- Brown sugar
- Soy sauce
- Sesame seeds
How To Make Sweet Chilli Sticky Chicken Legs step-by-step
- Clean and rinse your chicken and pat dry with paper towels to remove remaining water.
- Grab a large bowl and mix together the chicken legs, salt, pepper, and olive oil with a pinch of garlic, and pepper flakes. Set aside.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine your all-purpose flour with the remaining pinch of pepper flakes (optional) and blend until fully mixed. Set aside.
- Grab a third bowl and place your cracked eggs inside, blending well until yolk is fully mixed.
- Next, take out your air fryer and line fry basket with aluminum foil.
- Once lines, preheat air fryer to 375 F for approximately 10 minutes. After pre-heat completely spray aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- To dredge your chicken legs, you grab one leg and first dip inside of egg wash until all sides are fully coated. Next, place chicken leg into flour mixture and coat evenly on boil sides. Repeat for all chicken legs.
- Next, transfer all coated chicken legs into fryer basket and cook for approximately 7 minutes at 375 F.
- After the first 7 minutes, remove basket from base and with tongs turn over chicken legs.
- Allow legs to cook for additional 7 minutes at 375 F.
- While legs are fryers, grab fourth bowl and combine sweet chilli sauce, honey, rice vinegar, garlic cloves, ketchup, brown sugar and soy sauce together.
- Chicken legs should now have a golden color to them. You can choose to cook for additional 7 minutes if you want a more crisp skin.
- Remove legs from fryer and place inside sweet chilli sauce mixture and toss with tongs (or seal on top and shake vigorously).
- Once fully coated, transfer chicken to serving tray and sprinkly on sesame seeds.
- Serve and enjoy!
What does it mean to 'dredge'?
Dredge, or 'dredging' is a process of coating your food item in either a dry or wet mixture for cooking. For our sticky chicken legs, we will use the dredge to give the chicken a crispy texture.
Looking for more Instant Pot Chicken recipes, see our complete list of Chicken recipes.
How to make chicken skin crispy using an Air Fryer?
We recommend that you fry the chicken on both sides for an additional 7-14 minutes, continuously checking both sides at the 7-minute mark. The skin will darken over time, but make sure that you are flipping both sides so that it is crisped evenly.
Yes, it will work. You use the eggs for the liquid portion of the dredge so make sure that you fully blend the egg whites before you place the chicken legs in.
You can, but to get that crisp authentic taste we recommend applying the sauce after the chicken has completely cooked. This is especially true if you are looking for more crisp chicken skin.
Additional grill inspired chicken recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings and Sticky Sauce | These wings are by far the best you’ll ever taste!
- Teriyaki Chicken Recipe | Serve your teriyaki chicken over a bed of rice and serve up dinner in no time.
- Instant Pot Hawaiian Chicken Recipe | This Hawaiian chicken in Instant Pot is tender and juicy chicken served over a bed of rice.