Colorful, packed with Spanish flavors and so easy to make- that’s what this instant pot rice recipe is all about. Go try it out!
Perfect for those weeknights when you’re not in the mood to cook something elaborate, but still want a healthy dinner for you and your family, here’s a Spanish rice recipe that’s super easy to make.
What’s best is the fact that you’ll need just a handful of ingredients to get started on this, and you probably already have most of them in your pantry.
Ready to give this a shot? Here’s what you need to know before you go ahead!
New to cooking with a pressure cooker? Try out the Be the Boss of Your Instant Pot Video Course! It’ll help take the pressure off and ease you into cooking with your Instant Pot.
What Else Can I Mix In Instant Pot Spanish Rice Recipe?
Spanish rice is actually just an excellent example of how you can make use of items in your pantry to whip up a perfectly delicious rice based meal, and if you’ve got a few other items in your refrigerator waiting to be put to use, you could do that too.
You could throw in veggies like green peas, broccoli, cauliflower florets, green beans, bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, chopped spinach, beans or even scrambled eggs into the mix.
My Spanish Rice is Hard. What Do I Do?
If you’re making Spanish rice for the first time or just experimenting with a rice dish in your instant pot, it can get a bit tricky, and you might end up with rice that’s hard and undercooked.
Fixing this is actually pretty simple.
Add just a little bit of water in there- around ¼ cup or so- enough to create a little steam, close the lid and allow the rice to cook on very low heat for another 5-7 minutes.
More SW Inspired Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Carnitas Recipe – a Pressure Cooker Dinner
- Spanish Rice: Instant Pot Rice Recipe
- Easy Instant Pot Beef Enchiladas
- Instant Pot Taco Soup: The Best Chicken Taco Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Mexican Casserole Recipe
- Instant Pot Nachos with Chicken & Homemade Queso Dip
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Enchilada Hamburger Helper Casserole Recipe
- Instant Pot Pinto Beans Recipe
- Instant Pot Ranchero Beans
My Instant Pot Rice recipe Gets Mushy. What Should I Do?
In contrast, if your Spanish rice (or any other rice dish for that matter) keeps getting mushy no matter what you do, there’s actually an easy way to fix that too.
The secret is to not stir- at least not as often as you’d been doing.
You might be tempted to stir the dish frequently to ensure that all the ingredients have incorporated well, but in most cases, rice that isn’t stirred doesn’t end up mushy and has those perfectly intact, long grains of rice.
Another cool tip to try out is to saute the dry rice in a bit of oil for a few minutes before you add the water in to cook it.
Serving Suggestions & Ideas
If you’re preparing Spanish rice to feed a crowd, and need a side or two to go along with it, we’ve got you covered there too. Here are a few good options to get started with.
- Chicken enchiladas
- Shrimp tacos
- Mexican stuffed bell peppers
- Mexican avocado & chicken burgers
- Fajita bake
- Stuffed sweet potatoes
- Seafood paella
- Hand tossed green salad
- Roasted & spiced corn
- Stir fried green beans
- Shrimp fritters
- Spinach and chickpea stew
Have you tried this recipe? Don’t forget to Rate This Recipe below!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow or white onion
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup minced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, optional
- 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute mode. Once the pot gets hot, add the oil, and onions. Cook the onions about 4 minutes until they become soft.
- Add in the garlic and cook with the onions in the pot for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the rice and mix well to incorporate the onion and garlic to each grain. Allow the rice to brown for about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, diced tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder to the Instant Pot. Stir well.
- Scrape the bottom of the pot to remove any food that has stuck to the bottom of the pot. Press the cancel button.
- Close the Instant Pot by twisting on the lid. Close the valve, and set the Instant Pot to High Pressure for 8 minutes.
- After it has cooked for 8 minutes, release pressure manually.
- Stir and fluff the rice. Plate on a dish or in a bowl alongside your favorite dish, or by itself. Garnish with cilantro.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Tempered Glass lid, Clear 10 in. - 8 Quart
ekovana Stackable Steamer Insert Pans with sling - compatible with 6qt Instant Pot - Pressure Cooker Accessories for Pot in Pot, Baking, Lasagna pan
Instant Pot Duo Crisp 11-in-1 Air Fryer, Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Sous Vide, Roast, Bake, Broil, and Warmer|8 Quart|11 One-Touch Programs
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 5g