Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. I might receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Learn how to make red velvet cheesecake in your Instant Pot! This is a delicious red velvet cheesecake with an Oreo cookie crust. Whip this up to satisfy your Red Velvet Cheesecake Factory cravings.
Red Velvet Cheesecake
Whether you make this up for Christmas, Valentine's Day, or a date night dessert to serve up after dinner. This cheesecake is velvety, creamy, and loaded with flavor.
What Flavor Is Red Velvet
Red velvet offers a mild chocolate flavor. You get the deep red color from cocoa, food coloring and depending on recipe vinegar. With this cheesecake you get the red from the cake mix, and it offers a really light chocolate flavor.
Topping Ideas For Red Velvet Cheesecake
- Serve it naked with nothing on it
- Create a cream cheese or buttercream frosting to pipe over the top.
- Sprinkle with crushed Oreos and a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
- Add on some whipped cream around the edge with some sprinkles.
You don't have to decorate your cheesecake, but if you do those are a few ideas to consider.
Can I Swap Out The Crust
Not a fan or Oreo crust? You can easily swap with a classic graham cracker crust like we use in our Crème Brule Cheesecake, shortbread, etc. Feel free to get creative and use what you feel would pair the best with the red velvet cheesecake. You could also do a brownie bottom cheesecake like our popular Fudge Brownie Bottom Swirl Cheesecake has!
Can You Freeze Cheesecake
You can indeed freeze your leftover cheesecake. Just allow the cheesecake to fully set up in the fridge. Then slice or freeze the cheesecake whole. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil or place in an airtight freezer container.
Freeze for up to three months, then thaw in the fridge overnight. Or sit on the counter for 30-45 minutes for a quick thaw.
One good idea we've done is to make a couple different flavored cheesecakes (like our Nutter Butter cheesecake and Peppermint cheesecake) the same day and then serve half of each cheesecake and freeze half of each. That way we get to sample more cheesecake flavors.
Supplies Used to Make this Red Velvet Cheesecake Recipe
- 7-inch springform pan | This is the size and type of pan used in this specific recipe. We also regularly use Fat Daddio's 6-inch push pan for our cheesecake recipes, and Fat Daddio's 6-inch spring form pan is another great spring form pan alternative. They are an inch smaller in diameter, but they are taller and make a higher cheesecake.
- Round parchment paper | Parchment paper is used to prevent cheesecake or other recipes from sticking to the bottom of a cake pan or other round pan. These come in a range of sizes.
- Heart spoon | Just like our favorite wooden spoon set, this spoon is one of our favorite kitchen utensils and is used on a regular basis.
- Medium-sized bowl | If you cook or bake a lot, you can't have too many glass mixing bowls. This set has a few to get you started, and are the most common sizes. We also have a bunch of glass ingredient bowls with lids to use when prepping ingredients for recipes ahead of time.
How To Make
Crust | You will work at mixing up your Oreo crust, you use just the cookies and discard the cream filling. Press tightly in the bottom of a cheesecake pan.
Filling | Work on creating your filling as directed below. Once your batter is ready pour into the pan.
Transfer cheesecake pan to a sling before putting it into the Instant Pot so it is easy to lift out when it finishes cooking.
Cooking | Cover tightly and cook in your pressure cooker as directed. Your cheesecake will be mostly set up at this point, if it is too jiggly, then cook another 5 minutes or so in the Instant Pot.
Cooling | It is very important to allow your cheesecake to fully cool before slicing and serving. You will want to allow the cheesecake to chill over night in the fridge.
Can I Make This Cheesecake In Advance
I highly recommend making this cheesecake in advance. I would do at least 24 hours in advance, as it takes overnight to set up. Then when you are ready, remove from fridge, slice and serve!
I recommend to not make it for more than 2 days in advance, it offers the best flavor in the first day of it setting up after being cooked.
Easy Oreo Cheesecake Crust recipe
- 3 cups crushed Oreos (process in food processor)
- 5 tablespoons of melted butter
Red velvet cheesecake recipe
- (2) 8 oz. packages cream cheese
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup red velvet cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups water, for Instant Pot
- Powdered Sugar, optional for topping
- Start by placing your Oreos into a food processor/blender. Process until fine.
- Add melted better and mix together.
- In a large mixing bowl mix cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and cake mix.
- Add in eggs and sour cream and beat until smooth.
- Grease your springform pan, or line with round parchment paper.
- Press crumbs down into the bottom of your pan.
- Pour batter into spring form pan.
- Place a cup and a half of water into your instant pot and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes. I use a sling.
- Let vent naturally for 15 minutes, and then use quick release.
- Remove from instant pot and blot up excess water on top of cheesecake with a paper towel.
- Let cool completely. Place in fridge overnight.
- Top with powdered sugar.
- Add additional toppings to dress up this tasty red velvet cheesecake Instant Pot recipe. Try adding chocolate chips, chocolate ganache, or add a decorative cream cheese frosting and sprinkle with cocoa.
- Use a push pan for a taller cheesecake. This can make your cheesecake appear more professional and elegant. Fat Daddio's 6-inch push pan is what we always use when we opt to make cheesecake with a push pan. Pressure cooking time will remain the same. Fat Daddio's 6-inch spring form pan is another option if you prefer to use a springform pan but still want a taller cheesecake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 564Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 378mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 1gSugar: 48gProtein: 7g