Sharing is caring!
When it comes to a fun and flavorful recipe, you're not going to want to miss out on this Instant Pot Pork Shoulder Roast. Not only does it give you that pork flavor and taste but the added addition of cocoa makes it really unique and delicious.
Table of contents
The flavor of this Instant Pot Pork Shoulder Roast is one of a kind. The added flavor that the cocoa brings adds a depth and warmness that you're really going to enjoy.
This is just one of those comfort recipe that is perfect for any time of the year. It's a nice change and option for a holiday meal or can easily be whipped up quickly for a fast weeknight dinner or delicious weekend meal, too.
For the Dry Rub
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- chipotle powder
- ground cloves
- sea salt
- black pepper
For the Pork Roast
- 3 ½ - 4-pound pork shoulder roast
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- chicken broth
- bay leaves
- fresh rosemary
- fresh thyme
- White Instant Pot Duo | This is our favorite Instant Pot because of its versatility and its sleek look.
- Non-stick inner pot | Cleanup is so easy with a nonstick inner pot. If you've used nonstick pans on the stovetop, you know that food doesn't stick to them and washing dishes is so much easier.
- Wooden spoon set | We always use a wooden spoon to scrape bits of cooked meat from the bottom of the pan. This prevents a burn notice. If you are using a non-stick pan, there won't be as much to scrape, but it is still a good idea to keep in practice and always scrape the bottom of the pan before you set the pressure cooker to cook.
- Tongs | These silicone tipped tongs are our go-to tongs whenever lifting meat (or other ingredients) in and out of the Instant Pot...especially when using a non-stick inner pot. When you use a non-stick pan, it is very important to not scratch the pan.
- KitchenAid immersion blender | We use this immersion blender frequently to blend soups or gravy right in the Instant Pot at the end of the cooking time. For this recipe, we removed the meat from the pan after the pressure cooking time finished and then blended a delicious gravy.
Since this is such a versatile recipe, you can literally eat any type of side dish with Instant Pot pork roast. Some of the most popular ones are mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, sweet potatoes, and rolls. If you want to make homemade rolls or French bread, learn how to proof dough in your Instant Pot.
Don't forget to pair it up with a side salad as well to really seal the deal.
It can. Since you're cooking the meat at such a high temp, it can make the meat more tender and easier to eat.
But it can also overcook the meat as well, which can then have the opposite effect and make the meat chewier and dried out.
Make certain that you follow the directions below to know the exact times to cook the meat in your Instant Pot.
There might be a chance that you overcooked the meat, which can make it suddenly become a lot tougher.
Yes, you can. As long as you store it in an airtight container or freezer-proof bag, you should be able to freeze this without issue for up to 2 months of time.
To cook the pork shoulder roast in the Instant Pot, it's going to take about 50 minutes of time. Make certain that you realize that there are a few steps before this and after to consider but as far as cook time, this is what you can depend on.
One of the biggest tips to keep in mind when making this Instant Pot roast is that you can sneak in other veggies to cook up with it. It's such a simple way to make a hearty and healthy meal for the family.
Why You Will Enjoy Pork Shoulder Roast
- Full of flavor
- Whole food ingredients
- Made from scratch
- Family dinners
Supplies for Making Roast
Dry Rub Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ tablespoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Pork Roast Ingredients
- Make certain that you take the pork shoulder out of the fridge about 30 minutes prior before cooking.
- Make the dry rub by combining the dry rub ingredients. Stir. Reserve one tablespoon of the roast dry rub to use later. Rub the rest of the dry rub mix on all sides of the pork shoulder.
- Put on the Sauté function and add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil when hot. Put in the pork and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes per side. Once done, put on plate and set aside.
- Put in the rest of the olive oil and the carrots, onion, and celery. Sauté while stirring occasionally for about 4-5 minutes.
- Put in the broth and stir. Scraping brown bits off the bottom with a wooden spoon. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Put the pork shoulder back in the pot. Add in the bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary. Put in the rest of the dry rub and stir. Add lid and lock. Turn to sealing and put on manual for 50 minutes.
- Once done cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 20 minutes. After that, manually release any pressure.
- Take off the lid, get rid of bay leaves and stems. Put the pork roast on a platter.
- Use an immersion blender and blend the pan sauces until smooth.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 585Total Fat 43gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 24gCholesterol 164mgSodium 597mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 43g
Try These Instant Pot Beef Recipes You Might Like
- Instant Pot Beef Enchilada Hamburger Helper Casserole
- Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
- Korean Ground Beef
- Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
Jessica McCoy is a seasoned food blogger with 14+ years of experience in the industry. As a self-taught home cook, she enjoys creating and finetuning easy recipes that are fool proof and simple for anyone to make. Her expertise is in all things kitchen: cooking tips, air fryer recipes, Instant Pot and other pressure cooking recipes, and slow cooker recipes. Jessica was the previous owner of AllSheCooks, where she focused on easy every day recipes including budget friendly dinner recipes and desserts.
Sharing is caring!