30 minutes is all it takes to make this old fashioned Instant Pot potato soup! A gluten-free potato soup that is loaded with cheese, tender potatoes, bacon, and top with some green onions! This is the perfect potato soup for a chilly winter day.
Or if you don't have an Instant Pot transform this into a Ninja Foodi potato soup. It works just the same as an instant pot.
Old Fashioned Potato Soup
If you are a fan of the Panera potato soup recipe, you might really enjoy this one. It is very similar in flavor. And you can make it at home without having to get out of your pj's!
Why I Recommend This Cheesy Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Delicious and kid approved
- Great for cold winter days
- Store leftovers for an easy lunch
- Dress up with your favorite potato soup toppings
Variations To Potato Soup
- Use mashed potatoes to make potato soup.
- Reach for frozen hashbrowns or frozen diced potatoes.
- Consider making sweet potato, potato soup.
- Make potato soup with instant potatoes.
- Add ham to make a ham and potato soup.
- Leave out the bacon if you want a meatless potato soup.
- Add in corn to make it more of a potato corn chowder.
What Do I Need For Country Potato Soup
- Diced Potatoes
- Chicken Broth
- Onions and Garlic
- Sour Cream
- Herbs and Spices
- Toppings - Bacon, green onions, etc
Supplies We Use to Make Instant Pot Soup
- Ladle spoon rest | If you tend to grab a plate or saucer to put your spoons or ladles when cooking, or worse yet place them directly on the counter, you really should consider a ladle/spoon rest.
- Silicone soup ladle for non-stick cookware | This is the best ladle to use with a non-stick inner pot because you don't want to scratch your pan.
- Nonstick inner pot | We almost always use our non-stick inner pot when cooking in the Instant Pot now. It's an absolute breeze to clean and prevents excess stuck on food.
How to Make Potato Soup
Toss onions in Instant Pot and butter and saute to 3-4 minutes. You want them to become soft. Then once onions are done add in garlic and mix until fragrant.
Turn the saute off, add in spices and herbs along with potatoes. Pour in broth and cook as directed, followed with a natural release of pressure.
Open the lid, and stir in your cornstarch slurry to help thicken then soup. Then you will add in your cheese and such.
If you want a thinner soup mash up the potatoes, or leave chunks for a chunky soup.
How long does Instant Pot potato soup last in the fridge
Your potato soup will store for around 4-5 days in the fridge. If you add the bacon into the soup, you can store it for 3 days. Always use your best judgement.
Can I freeze potato soup
Due to the dairy in the soup you can't freeze potato soup. It will separate and become extra soft. Now, if you do freeze and want to try, you can. Just know the texture will be very soft and you will need to stir well to incorporate.