Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Instant Pot New England Clam Chowder is going to be your new favorite way to cook up clam chowder soup. Get that rich and creamy chowder, cooked in a fraction of the time.
New England Clam Chowder
New England Clam Chowder is always a favorite of mine to order at the restaurant. Now, I make my own homemade chowder at home, and I have leftovers to enjoy.
This is by far the best clam chowder recipe, that you will want to make and serve your family or a crowd.
How to Make
The full ingredient list and directions are printed below in the printable recipe card. This is just added help for making the soup if you are a visual learner.
Step 1: Turn the Instant Pot to saute, and add in your oil and onions. You will want to cook them stirring occasionally to help soften and make onions translucent.
Step 2: Then you will add in your chopped clams, and cornstarch, stirring well. You need to make sure it is all well incorporated.
Step 3: Add in the remaining ingredients and cook as directed below. Once done do a quick release.
Turn the pressure cooker to saute and finish cooking and thickening up your savory clam chowder soup.
Can I Add Extra Clams To Chowder
If you are a super fan of clams, go right ahead and add in extra. I love the amount that is in the recipe. But, this recipe can be adapted to fit what you might want in terms of flavor and texture.
What Are The Best Potatoes To Use
I used russet potatoes for this soup. Now, you could even swap for a Yukon gold if you would like. I prefer to peel and dice my potatoes. I find the skins can really alter the texture of the chowder.
If you like peels on potatoes go ahead and leave them on if you would like.
What To Serve With Clam Chowder
I love using bread to dip in my chowder. You could also pair with a sandwich to lighten up for a lunch. Or even a crisp green salad.
This dish is hearty enough it can be eaten alone, or you can serve with any or all your favorite sides.
Storing Leftover Chowder
You can store your chowder in the fridge for a few days. Due to the clams always use your best judgment in terms of quality. When in doubt, toss it out.
Since this is a thick and creamy based chowder, you will find it does not freeze well. The dairy in the soup will curdle and affect the texture once it thaws from being frozen. So it is best to not freeze any leftover soup you may have.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Chicken and Dumplings in the Instant Pot
- Chicken Florentine Soup in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Chili Recipe- Best Award Winning Chili Recipe
- Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe for Instant Pot
- New England Clam Chowder Recipe Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- How to Make Chicken Chili in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Cream of Cauliflower Soup Recipe
Have you tried this recipe? Don’t forget to Rate This Recipe below!
- 4 (6.5 -ounce cans) chopped clams, juice drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups water
- 4 cups half & half
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Turn your Instant Pot to sauté mode. When the pot is hot, add the oil and the chopped onions. Saute the onions for 2-3 minutes.
- Add to clams and corn starch to the inner pot and mix.
- Add in potatoes, salt, pepper, water, and half-and-half. Stir well.
- Place your lid on the Instant Pot. Set your instant pot to high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Allow for a quick pressure release, and then open the Instant Pot when all the pressure has been released.
- Push cancel on the Instant Pot and then select saute. Let the soup cook on saute for about 10 minutes to let it thicken.
- Top with parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 634Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 139mgSodium: 2069mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 4gSugar: 14gProtein: 41g