Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Skipped canned soup and make this mushroom barley soup right in your Instant Pot. Pearl barley, mushrooms, celery, carrots, and more in a savory broth all in one incredible soup. Mushroom barley soup is a hearty and delicious fall soup.
Mushroom Barley Soup
This is a great Instant Pot mushroom soup. I use white mushrooms and bella mushrooms. I find the duo of the two mushrooms really helps bring out tons of flavor.
What Is Pearl Barley
Pearl barley is what you will find most in the stores. It is the most common barley that is sold and used. Pearl barley has lost its outer husk, and bran layer and then is polished.
Hulled barley is the other type you can find that is a bit heartier and more nutritious.
How to Make
Step 1: Turn the Instant Pot to saute and add in your diced celery and your onions.
Step 2: Then you will turn your pressure cooker off. Pour in the chicken broth and deglaze the bottom of the pan.
Now add in your barley, dill, carrots, mushrooms, and potatoes.
Step 3: Place your lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is set to sealing. Cook for 15 minutes high pressure followed by a natural release for 5 minutes.
Does This Recipe Double
Depending on the size of your Instant Pot it will depend if you can double this recipe. The biggest thing is to make sure you do not go over the max fill line.
If you go over the line, you will find your Instant Pot will not come to pressure.
Can I Add Meat Into This Mushroom Barley Soup
You could easily dice up and add in some ham or turkey into the soup. Or even some ground beef or stew meat could be a great add-in.
As the recipe is, it is a meatless barley mushroom soup. But feel free to add meat if you want. This would be great to use leftover holiday ham or turkey in.
What If I Can’t Find Petite Purple Potatoes
Petite purple potatoes can be hard to find at times. If your supermarket doesn’t have any in stock, go right ahead and reach for a yellow gold. Or any petite potato.
Or if you only have russets or Yukon gold potatoes, peel, and dice into bite-size pieces for the soup.
Does This Soup Freeze Well
Absolutely! If you are a fan of meal prepping, go right ahead and whip up a batch and freeze leftovers.
I like to pour into single-serve containers and use that to meal prep for easy lunches in the week or busy weeknight dinners I can just reheat a soup at the end of a long hard day.
Just remember soups expand as they freeze, so make sure to leave room in the freezer-friendly container, or it will pop the lid off. You can also freeze in a sealable bag and lay flat to help limit the space used.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Chicken and Dumplings in the Instant Pot
- Chicken Florentine Soup in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Chili Recipe- Best Award Winning Chili Recipe
- Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe for Instant Pot
- New England Clam Chowder Recipe Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- How to Make Chicken Chili in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Cream of Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Easy Lasagna Soup Recipe in Instant Pot
Have you tried this recipe? Don’t forget to Rate This Recipe below!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 cup white mushrooms
- 1 cup baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 cup carrots
- 2 cups petite purple potatoes (yellow gold is a good substitution if not available at your local grocer)
- Set instant pot to sauté. Add oil, onions, and celery and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Turn Instant Pot off.
- Deglaze the Instant Pot, add broth and scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Add barley, dill, mushrooms, carrots, mushrooms, and potatoes. Seal the Instant Pot and set to manual high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Natural release for 5 minutes, then quick release remaining steam.
Other broth flavors can be substituted if you don't need to make the recipe vegetarian.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 1266mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 6g