Sharing is caring!
Our Korean Ground Beef recipe makes one incredible weeknight dinner. Whip up our Instant Pot Korean Beef served over a bed of rice. A delicious rice bowl with Korean Beef is even better topped with cucumbers, carrots, fresh ginger, and kimchi.
Looking for more ground beef recipes, see our complete list of Ground Beef Instant Pot recipes.
What we like about Instant Pot Korean Ground Beef:
- quick weeknight meal
- mostly pantry ingredients
- easy to make a rice bowl with extra toppings like carrots and cucumbers
- simple to make low-carb with a few substitutions
- Ground beef- This can be substituted if you need a lower-calorie ground meat alternative or an Alpha Gal-safe Korean Beef alternative. People who have Alpha Gal cannot eat mammal products or by-products. As someone diagnosed with this within the last year, I use ground Emu, ground chicken, ground turkey, or ground ostrich as alternatives to ground beef. Ground emu is the closest substitute in both flavor and consistency.
- Sesame oil
- Garlic- use either fresh garlic with a garlic press or jarred minced garlic
- Ginger- use fresh ginger or go to an Asian food store and ask for minced or slivered fresh ginger
- Soy sauce- I use low sodium soy sauce to reduce the salt in the recipe
- Brown sugar- for color and sweetness
- Sesame seeds- toasted or not toasted
- Seasonings- I use ground black pepper and red pepper
- Green onions-
What Is the Best Way to Cook Korean Ground Beef?
A pressure cooker is best if you want to save time using one pot and don't want to stir as you cook.
How to Cook
Start by sauteing your ground beef in your Instant Pot. Once it is browned, add the other ingredients to your pressure cooker.
You can cook your rice simultaneously as you cook your Korean ground beef if you would like. I share all the instructions in the printable recipe card below.
I love making my rice at the same time as the beef, so I have a meal in one, which makes dinner easy for me. Plus, you get a fluffy rice that is perfectly tender.
How Long Does Korean Ground Beef Typically Last in the Refrigerator?
If you're a fan of Korean cuisine like me, you know how delicious and versatile Korean ground beef can be. Whether you're making bulgogi bowls, kimchi fried rice, or even just a simple stir-fry, having some pre-made ground beef on hand can be a total game-changer.
Now, let's talk about how long Korean ground beef typically lasts in the refrigerator. Generally, cooked ground beef can be stored in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. However, it's essential to ensure that it is stored properly to maintain its quality and safety.
To maximize the shelf life of your Korean ground beef, here are a few tips:
1. Let it cool down: After cooking your Korean ground beef, allow it to cool down at room temperature for about 2 hours before transferring it to the refrigerator. This helps prevent condensation, which can lead to bacterial growth.
2. Use airtight containers: Transfer the cooled ground beef into airtight containers or resealable bags. Remove as much air as possible before sealing to maintain freshness.
3. Label and date: It's always a good practice to label your containers with the contents and date of preparation. This way, you can easily track how long it has been in the fridge.
4. Place it in the coldest part of the fridge: Store your Korean ground beef in the coldest part of your refrigerator, which is usually the back shelf.
More Ground Beef Recipes
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Ground Beef | This cheesy, tender pasta and ground beef loaded recipe. Give this a go for the ultimate weeknight dinner.
Loose Burgers | Here are ground beef loose burgers to pile in a bun and enjoy for a quick meal.
What is the difference between Korean ground beef and other types of ground beef?
If you're a fan of Korean cuisine or just curious about the differences between Korean ground beef and other types of ground beef, you've come to the right place! Korean ground beef, also known as bulgogi, stands out from other types of ground beef due to its unique flavor profile and preparation method.
One of the main differences lies in the marinade used for Korean ground beef. Traditional bulgogi marinade typically includes soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar, sesame oil, and sometimes pear or apple puree. These ingredients combine to create a savory, slightly sweet, and tangy, distinctively Korean flavor. The marinade adds depth and richness to the meat, making it incredibly flavorful and delicious.
Another significant difference is the cooking method. While regular ground beef is often cooked on a stovetop or grilled, Korean ground beef is usually stir-fried or pan-fried. This cooking technique helps caramelize the marinade and enhance the flavors further. The result is tender, juicy, and flavorful ground beef that pairs perfectly with rice, lettuce wraps, or even as a filling for Korean street food favorites like tteokbokki or kimbap.
Additionally, Korean ground beef often includes other ingredients such as green onions, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes to add extra layers of flavor and texture. These ingredients complement the dish and give it a distinct Korean flair.
What Is the Best Rice With This Instant Pot Ground Beef Recipe?
Can I Double This Korean Gound Beef Recipe?
Depending on the size of your Instant Pot will depend. If you have an 8 quart, you should be able to double possibly.
The biggest thing is ensuring it fits in the pressure cooker without exceeding the max line.
How Long Can You Store Leftover Korean Beef?
You can store these leftovers in the fridge for up to three days. Anything after that, you will need to use your best judgment.
The rice can be stored in the fridge for up to five days if you store it in a separate container.
To reheat this, toss it in the microwave for a quick reheat or heat it in a skillet on the stove. I recommend heating the ground beef mixture low and slow on the stove.
How To Add More Spice to Korean Ground Beef?
If you want to spice up this recipe, add more red pepper flakes to your dish. That way, each person can add the perfect spice to each plate.
Or, if you like heat, add a few more to the mixture before you cook. If you are the opposite, you can use fewer pepper flakes to tame the spice.
Scroll below the recipe for even more Ground Beef Instant Pot Recipes!
Korean Ground Beef Ingredients
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1- inch ginger, grated or minced
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup water
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- 6 green onions, chopped, to garnish
Instant Pot White Rice Ingredients
- Add ground beef to a large skillet and brown the ground beef, garlic, and ginger together over medium high heat until no longer pink. Drain excess grease.
- Add sesame oil, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, and black and red pepper. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Cook rice according to package instructions. A rice cooker works well for preparing rice. Use a rice paddle to fluff up and then serve the rice.
- Add ground beef to Instant Pot and turn on saute mode. Brown ground beef on saute setting. Drain hamburger grease if necessary. If using 90% lean ground beef, draining might not be necessary.
- Add sesame oil, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, and black and red pepper.
- Insert a high trivet (the insert with the 8-quart instant pot can be made into a high trivet by inverting the handles). It works great to make pot-in-pot rice with this Korean Ground Beef recipe for the Instant Pot.
- Rinse long-grain white rice and then add the rice, water, and salt to a 6 or 7-inch pan, and then set the pan on top of the high trivet.
- Set the Instant Pot to sealing and select a high-pressure cooking time for 4 minutes.
- Do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the pan of Instant Pot rice and the trivet. You're ready to serve the Instant Pot Korean Ground Beef recipe for dinner.
- The green onions and sesame seeds are added as a garnish after cooking.
Instant Pot Instructions:
Ground Korean Beef Options
All ground beef recipes can easily be adjusted to ground turkey Instant Pot recipes by switching out the ground beef for ground turkey in equal quantities.
Make a Korean beef bulgogi bowl by adding Korean beef to a bowl of Instant Pot rice and topping it with pickled cucumbers, spicy kimchi, and a fried egg. Korean ground beef and rice bowls are a popular and healthy dinner idea. You could also have just the ground beef over rice, but those extra garnishes add to the flavor.
Instead of a beef bowl, use Korean ground beef to make Instant Pot Korean beef tacos. Serve with cucumber slaw and a side of kimchi.
Serve ground beef over rice with Asian vegetables.
Add a sweet and spicy Korean sauce to a beef bowl for extra flavoring.
Amount Per Serving Calories 453Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 101mgSodium 1061mgCarbohydrates 26gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 1gSugar 8gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 34g
Jessica McCoy is a seasoned food blogger with 14+ years of experience in the industry. As a self-taught home cook, she enjoys creating and finetuning easy recipes that are fool proof and simple for anyone to make. Her expertise is in all things kitchen: cooking tips, air fryer recipes, Instant Pot and other pressure cooking recipes, and slow cooker recipes. Jessica was the previous owner of AllSheCooks, where she focused on easy every day recipes including budget friendly dinner recipes and desserts.
Sharing is caring!