Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Making Florida’s traditional Key Lime Pie recipe just got easier by using an Instant Pot. Make key lime pie in an Instant Pot without much of a mess or hassle.
The Instant Pot has been used for cooking for quite some time now; however, the use of an Instant Pot is fairly less conventional for making desserts.
Whip up the ingredients together, plug in your Instant Pot, and tap a button.
This recipe uses only the six essential ingredients used in making traditional key lime pie. Check out this Instant Pot Key Lime Pie recipe and find answers to questions you may have related to this recipe.
Instant Pot Desserts
Are There Any Substitutes I Can Try?
The Key Lime Pie recipe uses ingredients that are readily available to you.
In the off chance that you may be unable to get your hands on any of the ingredients, here’s a list of ingredients that you may use as substitutes:
Graham Crackers: Oreo biscuits, digestive biscuits, Bastogne, Speculoos cookies, or any other crumbled cookies are alternatives to graham crackers.
Key Lime: Regular Persian limes in the same quantity as key lime work just as well in the recipe.
Condensed Milk: Cook eggs over simmering water to a point that it coagulates. You may also add corn-starch or dissolved gelatin, to the coagulated eggs instead of condensed milk.
Vegan Substitutes: Substitute the eggs in the recipe for sour cream, and a mixture of corn-starch and water.
It is also essential to use freshly squeezed lime as opposed to the bottled one and refrigerate the pie overnight to ensure that the pie has set properly before serving it.
Serving Ideas and Suggestions
Since this recipe is a basic Key Lime Pie recipe you can tweak it a little to fit your taste.
Some of my personal favorite additions: powdered cinnamon, coconut whipped cream, fluffy meringue made using egg whites, or the cream of tartar; to augment the flavor of the pie.
Word of caution, be careful while whipping the eggs, over-whipping as this may cause the pie to be runny.
Another trick that helped me reach the desired consistency is to refrigerate the batter overnight, in order to dissipate the air from the batter.
To check the pie doneness, touch the center of the pie with your finger; if it is slightly jiggly, you’re all set because as the pie cools it will solidify further.
Loved this Instant Pot Key Lime Pie recipe? Do give it a shot and let us know in the comments box below how it turned out!
Supplies for Key Lime Pie Recipe
- 7-inch springform pan | This pan commonly is for Instant Pot cakes, cheesecake, and pie recipes.
- Round parchment paper | Perfectly sized parchment paper is an ideal time saver and prevents cake from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Heart spoon | This spoon is an essential and decorative kitchen tool and is useful for mixing filling and forming pie crust.
- Medium-sized bowl | A set of glass mixing bowls is an essential for every kitchen. These are microwave safe and work for storing food in the refrigerator too.
- Trivet | Our favorite trivet works to cook food on and also to lift desserts and other food in and out of the Instant Pot.
Have you tried this recipe? Don’t forget to Rate This Recipe below!
- Melt the butter in the microwave at 30 second intervals. When the butter is melted, mix in the graham crackers.
- Line the bottom of the springform pan with a round parchment paper. Spray the paper and the sides of the pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Use a heart shaped mixing spoon or a spatula to push down the graham cracker crust along the bottom and sides of the pan. Place the crust in the pan while you mix up the key lime filling for this instant pot desserts recipe.
- Use a medium-size bowl and blend the egg yolks and sugar for the key lime pie. Blend on high for 3 minutes. The eggs will be light and fluffy.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: Key lime juice, key lime zest, and condensed milk. Mix until the ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Pour the key lime pie mixture into the prepared springform pan over the graham cracker crust. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Pour one cup of water into the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Place the springform pan on the trivet, and then lower the trivet into the inner pot.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and seal the pressure valve. Set for a high pressure cooking time of 20 minutes.
- At the end of the cooking time, do a 15 minute natural pressure release, and then let out the remaining pressure. Once all the steam releases and the pin drops, open the lid with a hot pad or towel.
- Using hot pads or towel again, lift the trivet out of the Instant Pot and place the pie on a cooling rack. Let the pie cool for 30 minutes, and then place it in the refrigerator for about four hours (or overnight) to set.
- When the pie is ready to serve, release the spring form pan and cut the Instant Pot key lime pie into 4 to 6 slices before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 482Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 174mgSodium: 216mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 1gSugar: 57gProtein: 12g