Low carb and keto friendly, this chicken taco soup is packed full of flavors and deliciousness- you just can’t go wrong with it.
Craving for something tangy and delicious while you’re on your Keto diet?
Got love for Mexican food? Keto chicken taco soup is where it's at!
This Instant Pot taco soup recipe is just perfect- it’s insanely easy to make, tastes lip-smacking delicious, and is actually healthy too- thanks to all the veggies it packs in.
Ready to give it a try? We’ve got you detailed step-by-step instructions to get started on, along with some tips and tricks to help you make creamy chicken taco soup the right way. Read on…
Table of contents
- Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Soup
- Supplies Used to Make Chicken Soup Recipe
- Can I Use Frozen Chicken Breast in Instant Pot?
- How to Make Chicken Taco Soup
- Serving Ideas & Suggestions
- More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- More Instant Pot Recipes You'll Love
Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Soup
- boneless skinless chicken breast (fresh or frozen)
- yellow onion
- green bell pepper
- celery stalks
- chicken broth or bone broth
- diced tomatoes with green chilis
- minced onion
- chili powder
- black pepper
- cream cheese
- Coarse salt
- Shredded cheese
- green onions
Supplies Used to Make Chicken Soup Recipe
Chicken breast recipes for dinner are a healthy meal choice. Next to our Sous Vide Chicken Breast recipe, this chicken taco soup is a family favorite.
- Instant Pot - This is our go-to pressure cooker. We use it nearly every day.
- Immersion blender - Use this to blend the cream cheese and broth.
- Wooden kitchen utensils - Make sure you deglaze the pan by adding liquid and scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or a spatula.
- Electric salt and pepper grinder - I like to use an electric salt and pepper grinder to grind fresh pepper for a recipe.
- Meat thermometer - You always want to check the internal meat temperature.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken Breast in Instant Pot?
You can! One of the amazing things about cooking Instant Pot chicken breast is that you don't have to defrost the chicken prior to cooking. It's a great pressure cooking shortcut.
This might just become one of your favorite chicken breast recipes.
How to Make Chicken Taco Soup
Instant Pot chicken taco soup is also sometimes referred to as a chicken tortilla soup recipe. This is seriously one of our favorite chicken recipes.
Check on the instructions in the photos below and the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
You'll want to make sure you check the cooked chicken temp to make sure it's done at 165 degrees.
Shred the chicken and then add it back into the soup, along with your softened cream cheese mixed with broth. Using an immersion blender for this step is a good idea.
When the chicken is finished cooking you can serve it with garnishes, including tortilla chips. This makes this chicken taco soup into a chicken tortilla soup recipe, just like that!
How Do I Thicken a Runny Soup?
Don’t like your soup to be runny and liquidy? You can actually thicken it by adding in a little bit of flour to it towards the end, and using the saute function on your instant pot, allowing it to cook for a minute or two.
New to cooking with a pressure cooker? Try out the Be the Boss of Your Instant Pot Video Course! It'll help take the pressure off and ease you into cooking with your Instant Pot.
Can I Dump All the Ingredients in and Let it Cook?
It's soup time!
The beauty of Instant Pot is that it can dramatically reduce your cooking time and effort in the kitchen. You might be experimenting with it and trying different foods and things.
With this soup (and most other soups) it might seem like a good idea to dump all the ingredients in together and allow it to all just cook together. However, you should follow the recipe instructions step-by-step for optimal flavor.
Always remember that when it comes to making soups in your Instant Pot, you must add dairy and thickening agents towards the end, as opposed to with the other ingredients.
Doing this can give you more control over how much thickener you want to add, and can also allow your other ingredients to cook properly.
Plus, dairy products tend to curdle under high pressure, which is not what you would want in your soup.
What Else Can I Add into the Chicken Taco Soup?
Chili beans, corn, pinto beans, black or green olives and jalapenos can be great additions to this taco soup.
You can, of course, experiment and try other ingredients that you might have in your kitchen, but if you’re planning to stick to Mexican flavors, these are your best bet.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Looking for ideas for accompaniments and slides to serve along with your taco soup? We’ve got you some great ones to try out.
- Corn chips
- Sliced avocados
- Mexican rice
- Mexican corn salad
- Tangy cabbage slaw
- Cheesy quesadillas
The best part about making soups like these in your instant pot is that you’ll need just a few minutes to prep everything, and you’re sorted.
You can get some work done, slip into your jammies and come back to a bowl of warm and nutritious soup just like that!
You'll also want to check out this Beef Enchilada recipe. It's delicious!
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- How to Make Instant Pot Ramen Noodles as Good as Your Favorite Ramen Restaurant
- Ham Potato Soup - Instant Pot Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Chili with Dry Beans
- How to Cook Lentils in Instant Pot Soup. Why You'll Absolutely Love Them!
- Instant Pot Taco Soup: The Best Chicken Taco Soup
More Instant Pot Recipes You'll Love
- Easy Chicken Piccata Recipe
- Sweet Chilli Sticky Chicken Legs
- Instant Pot Chicken Piccata
- Air Fryer Granola
- History of the Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot Functions
- Air Fryer Egg Salad
- Pressure King Pro 5L Electric Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot Air Fryer - Duo Crisp Pressure Cooker Plus Air Fryer
- What is the Best Instant Pot? An Overview of Instant Pot Models and Sizes
- Instant Pot Vortex Air Fryer Review and Accessories
- Instant Pot Duo Nova: Detailed Review
- How to Use Instant Pot Air Fryer
- How to Make Brown Basmati Rice in Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli Recipe