Making a cheesecake pressure cooker recipe is something everyone who has an Instant Pot should do at some point. Our sweet potato cheesecake is an easy recipe to follow and it uses fresh sweet potatoes.
The recipe uses sweet potatoes that are also cooked in the pressure cooker. As a bonus, this recipe tells you how to make sweet potato puree.
Knowing how to make puree from fresh sweet potatoes is a great tool. When you have this knowledge it will help you out whenever you need sweet potato puree.
Table of contents
- Can I Use Canned Sweet Potatoes Instead of Fresh Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Instant Pot Recipes
- Helpful Supplies for Making Pressure Cooker Cheesecake
- How to Make Sweet Potato Cheesecake in the Instant Pot
- Why You Should Use Room Temperature Eggs and Cream Cheese in Baking
- See Our Latest Posts on A Pressure Cooker
- How to Cook Sweet Potatoes in Instant Pot
- Sweet Potatoes Pressure Cooker Time
- How Long to Cook Sweet Potatoes in Instant Pot
- Yam vs Sweet Potato
- Are Sweet Potatoes Healthy
- Are Sweet Potatoes Gluten Free
- Is Sweet Potato Cheesecake Gluten Free
Can I Use Canned Sweet Potatoes Instead of Fresh Sweet Potatoes
You can use canned sweet potatoes if that is what you have. Personally, I prefer the taste of fresh sweet potatoes. Not only are they an inexpensive ingredient, but you can't beat the nutritional quality that fresh produce gives you.
However, if you don't have fresh sweet potatoes available, canned sweet potatoes are the perfect alternative.
Sweet Potato Instant Pot Recipes
- One of my favorite sweet potatoes recipes is Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes. It's a classic and simple recipe that is super simple to make.
- Baked Sweet Potatoes in the Instant Pot is another tried and true favorite. Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes aren't technically baked. They are a tasty side that is good with a wide variety of meals. Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes are a versatile food. They can be topped with a huge range of ingredients, from the classic brown sugar to feta and nuts.
- Making Instant Pot Sweet Potato Cubes is a great way to cook a simple ingredient. It can be used in many recipes. Cubes of sweet potato added to Sweet Potato Chili Instant Pot recipe is so good. You can cook cubed sweet potatoes and mash them up for recipes. You can puree them to make soup or to bake with. There are so many other ways you can cook with sweet potatoes.
- Uses for leftover sweet potatoes: a tasty sweet potato casserole side dish. This can be made either in the pressure cooker or in the oven. Don't want to bake sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot? Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and get ready to cook. That is also the optimal temperature for baking sweet potatoes if you prefer to cook them that way.
Helpful Supplies for Making Pressure Cooker Cheesecake
- 6-inch by 3-inch Push Pan or 7-inch by 3-inch Push Pan- I recently started using a high push pan instead of a spring-form pan. In my opinion, the cheesecake looks amazing this way.
- Silicone Sling- This is an essential unless you want to make a sling out of foil every time you make a cheesecake or use a pan in the Instant Pot that needs to be lifted out.
- Large Decorating Tips- I used a decorating tip and reusable icing bag to pipe frosting onto the top of the cake. It gives the cake a prettier, more professional style.
- Reusable Decorating Bag- Do yourself a favor and invest in a nice reusable bag for decorating cakes and cupcakes. It works so much better than the disposable bags and is better for the environment. Even better, they are pretty inexpensive.
- Parchment Rounds- Pre-cut parchment rounds (and squares) are available in a variety of sizes depending on your needs. This can be a huge time-saver so you don't have to measure and cut a circle out.
New to cooking with a pressure cooker? Try out the Be the Boss of Your Instant Pot Video Course! It'll help take the pressure off and ease you into cooking with your Instant Pot.
How to Make Sweet Potato Cheesecake in the Instant Pot
It is easy to make cheesecake in an electric pressure cooker. A few essential tools are needed, namely a cheesecake pan. For this, you can use either a push-pan (my preference) or a springform pan. Both work nicely.
First, prepare the pressure cooker by adding 1 1/2 cups of water to the inner pot.
Prepare the cheesecake following the recipe instructions. We've got a helpful step by step in photos just below.
Set for a high pressure cooking time of 30 minutes, and then allow for a natural pressure release of 12 minutes. When the pressure has been released, open the pressure cooker carefully to prevent water from dripping onto the cheesecake.
Lift the cheesecake out of the pan with the sling. Set it on a wire rack to cool for one hour. You will want to remove the foil from the cheesecake and gently soak up any condensation with a paper towel.
Why You Should Use Room Temperature Eggs and Cream Cheese in Baking
A couple important tips you need to know before you start to make cheesecake.
First, ALWAYS use room temperature eggs and cream cheese. Take your eggs and cream cheese out of the refrigerator about 35 minutes to an hour before you need them.
Harvest your own eggs? Buy eggs directly from a farmer? Chances are you won't need to refrigerate your eggs. You also don't have to refrigerate eggs in much of Europe.
Eggs in the United States go through a harsh egg-washing process that removes the cuticle from the egg. This is also a standard procedure in Australia and Scandinavian countries. The egg sterilization process is used to remove Salmonella from eggs. However, it doesn't remove Salmonella from the inside of eggs, which is where most of it is found.
Second, mix in the eggs one at a time when adding ingredients to the mixing bowl. Room temperature eggs (and cream cheese) ensure a smooth cheesecake batter, and that is exactly what you want.
Like this recipe? Check out all off our Cheesecake Recipes. We're adding more extraordinary flavors all the time! A couple of our favorites, besides this one, are Orange Creamsicle Cheesecake and Oreo Cheesecake. Then, there's our Peanut Butter Cheesecake and Peppermint Cheesecake. And our Creme Brulee Cheesecake...WOW!
See Our Latest Posts on A Pressure Cooker
- Hawaiian Beef Stew Instant Pot Recipe
- Chicken with Garlic Sauce Chinese Takeout Recipe
- Sous Vide Chicken Breast Recipe with Cabbage Stir Fry
- Ninja Foodi Grill Review: Is it Worth it?
- How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs Without a Hot Chocolate Bomb Mold
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes in Instant Pot
Learning how to steam sweet potatoes in an Instant Pot is quite easy. With a few essential tools, you can cook sweet potatoes in just a little bit of time.
Sweet Potatoes Pressure Cooker Time
To cook fresh sweet potatoes, get your pressure cooker steamer basket ready. There aren't any other supplies that you have to have, but, if you'd like to mash the sweet potatoes, an immersion blender is great to have. I use my Kitchen Aid immersion blender all the time for mashing potatoes, blending soups, and more.
How Long to Cook Sweet Potatoes in Instant Pot
Large sweet potatoes can be cooked whole on high pressure for 17 minutes, followed by a natural pressure release of 10 minutes.
Cubed sweet potatoes need a 5 minute high pressure cooking time, with a quick release. Do you do meal prep ahead of time? Peel and chop potatoes during your weekly meal prep.
Yam vs Sweet Potato
Sweet potatoes are what are normally sold in stores. Some people use the words yam and sweet potatoes without knowing the thinking they are the same. They are actually pretty different.
Yams have a tough bark-like skin and resemble more of a yucca root than a sweet potato. The skin is brown and rough. The inside of a yam more closely resembles a russet potato than a sweet potato. The taste is also more similar to a russet potato.
Sweet potatoes have a reddish-brown exterior, and an orange inside. However, just like there are many varieties of classic potatoes, there are also several varieties of sweet potatoes.
Sweet potatoes are often used as a substitute for pumpkin because of the similar taste and texture.
Are Sweet Potatoes Healthy
Yes. Sweet Potatoes are a very healthy food. While they do have a bit of natural sugar in them, they also contain good amounts of potassium and fiber. Both of which are beneficial for a balanced diet.
Sweet potatoes also help maintain a good blood pressure and studies show they might help protect against some forms of cancer.
Are Sweet Potatoes Gluten Free
Yes. Sweet potatoes are naturally gluten free. If you are have celiac disease or another gluten intolerance, this is good to know. However, be careful to look at labels to ensure all of the ingredients you are cooking with are gluten free.
Is Sweet Potato Cheesecake Gluten Free
This Instant Pot sweet potatoes cheesecake recipe is not gluten-free as it is written. However, it is easy to adapt this recipe to make it gluten free. Simply use gluten-free graham cracker crumbs and gluten free flour where the recipe calls for those. And check the labels to make sure you have gluten free baking products for the remaining ingredients.