Looking for a breakfast that’s easy to make, but will keep you going on those busy weekday mornings? This Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats with Blueberries, Almonds and Honey recipe packs a big nutritional punch, thanks to the addition of superfoods like blueberries and almonds. Finishing it off with a drizzle of honey gives you a sweet dose of flavonoids and antioxidants. And, choosing to use steel cut oats, instead of rolled or quick oats, provides even more health benefits.
What are Steel Cut Oats?
The main difference between steel cut oats and quick oats lies in the processing. Steel cut oats are oat groats (an oat kernel without the husk) that have been cut into two or three pieces by a steel blade. Since they are less processed than quick oats, they have a lower glycemic index (GI) number. This means they are digested more slowly and will provide sustained energy. Steel cut oats are also a good source of fiber, at 1/4-cup of uncooked steel cut oats contains 2 grams of soluble fiber and provides 15-percent of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s recommended daily allowance.
The Benefit of Making Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
Traditional preparation of steel cut oats requires 30-40 minutes of cooking time. But in the Instant Pot, it’s done in just 4 minutes (plus approximately 10 minutes for the pressure to build). And, all you need to do is put the ingredients in the pot, set it, and walk away!
One Tip for Cleaning Your Instant Pot
While cooking steel cut oats in the Instant Pot is quick and easy, it can leave behind stubborn stains and build-up. Here’s an easy solution for returning the Instant Pot inner liner (the stainless steel pot) to its original sparkling state.
How to Make Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats with Blueberries, Almonds and Honey Step-by-Step
Step #1: Add vanilla almond milk, steel cut oats and honey to the Instant Pot inner pot.
Step #2: Set manual pressure to 4 minutes. Make sure the release valve on lid is closed (not set to vent).
Step #3: After cooking time has elapsed, do a quick release, stir, and dish up into bowls.
Step #4: Top with blueberries, sliced almonds and honey (or the toppings of your choice). Enjoy!
Supplies Needed to Make Instant Pot Oatmeal
- Instant Pot Pot-in-Pot – This pan is essential when cooking recipes that might stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Tall Trivet Set– Use this handy too when cooking a recipe in the inner pot and second recipe (or part of a recipe, like rice) utilizing the pot-in-pot method
- Sling– You’ll want to have a sling when you use the pot-in-pot method, like when you make cheesecake.
- Instant Pot Inner Pot – I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in really handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners– This book comes in handy when you’re learning how to use your Instant Pot and experimenting with new recipes.
More Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats Recipes
Don’t forget to check out all our other Instant Pot Oatmeal Variations. Some of our favorites are: Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats with Strawberries and Brown Sugar, Quick Oats with various toppings, Blueberry Banana Pecan Oatmeal with Blueberry Compote and Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats Banana Split.
Have you tried this recipe? Don’t forget to Rate This Recipe below!
- 4 cups vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Add first 3 ingredients to Instant Pot inner pot. Make sure lid is set to sealing.
- Set manual pressure to 4 minutes.
- After pressure cooking time has elapsed, do a quick release, stir and dish up into bowls.
- Top with choice of toppings and enjoy!
If using the pot, add 1 1/2 cups of water to a 6 quart Instant Pot, or 2 cups of water to an 8 quart Instant Pot. Place a trivet on the bottom of the inner pot. Add all ingredients to a pressure-cooker-safe bowl or dish, and lower the dish onto the trivet. A sling comes in really handy for the pot-in-pot method.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 440Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 77gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 8gSugar: 46gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 10g