Whip up this no-fuss Instant Pot Sesame White Rice in your pressure cooker today. This is one of the easiest rice recipes you can make. Sesame oil, white long grain rice, come together for a fluffy and tasty sesame rice recipe.
Serve up this sesame rice recipe as a side dish to your chicken, pork or even beef. No plain rice anymore when you have this simple recipe.
Instant Pot Sesame Rice
If you have never made rice in the Instant Pot. Learn how to make rice in Instant Pot the right way! Perfect rice each and every single time. We love this with our copycat Panda Express Black Pepper Chicken and Instant Pot orange chicken. I also like to serve it with Instant Pot Chicken and Green Beans.
Table of contents
- Instant Pot Sesame Rice
- Why Make Rice In The Instant Pot
- Ingredients For Sesame White Rice
- How to Make Instant Pot Sesame White Rice
- Variations To White Rice Instant Pot Recipe
- How Much Water For Rice In Instant Pot
- How to Fix Mushy Rice
- Is This an Instant Pot Sticky Rice?
- More Instant Pot Recipe Ideas
- Sesame Seeds Nutrition
- Recipe for Instant Pot White Rice
Why Make Rice In The Instant Pot
I hear some people say they would never make rice in the Instant Pot. If you are hesitant, don't be! Just go for it. You have that perfectly cooked rice and you literally turn the Instant Pot on and walk away!
Go paint your nails, finish cooking dinner, or kick up your feet and read a book. This pressure cooker sesame rice is effortless!
Ingredients For Sesame White Rice
- Sesame Oil
- White Long Grain Rice
- Salt and Pepper
- Sesame Seeds for topping
- Green Onions for topping
Supplies for White Rice Instant Pot Recipe
These are the supplies we use most often when making rice in the pressure cooker. They are helpful to have on hand for this recipe and many more.
- Rice paddle | A rice paddle is used to fluff up the rice. It is a handy tool to have on hand if you make rice often.
- Non-stick ceramic inner pot | Use a nonstick inner pot to prevent the chance of rice sticking to the pot.
- Rice cooker insert | A rice cooker insert makes it easy to lift rice out of the pot and prevents rice from sticking to the pot.
How to Make Instant Pot Sesame White Rice
Full measurements and steps are in the printable recipe card below.
Pour into Instant Pot | Add your water and rice into the Instant Pot. Toss in the salt, pepper, and sesame oil. Stir.
Pressure Cook | Set the valve to sealing and cook for 4 minutes on high manual pressure. Then allow it to naturally release for 30 minutes.
Serve | Use a fork to fluff the crispy sesame fluffy rice. Pair as a side dish or pile on your meat or veggies as a base to a dish.
Variations To White Rice Instant Pot Recipe
- Add in some grated ginger for a bit more flavoring to your Instant Pot rice recipe.
- Use chicken or vegetable stock in replace of water.
- You can add in some mixed vegetables for more of a fried pressure cooker rice style.
- Soy sauce drizzled on top adds a nice salty and tangy topping.
- Jasmine rice can be used in replace of white long grain rice.
- Make this a Basmati rice Instant Pot recipe.
How Much Water For Rice In Instant Pot
Cooking rice in Instant Pot is easy when you follow these steps. This makes the perfect white rice with (regular) or toasted sesame oil. You could also use a sesame oil substitute like walnut oil, avocado oil, canola oil, or even olive oil.
I use a 1:1 rice to water ratio when I make rice. It is important to allow for natural release Instant Pot pressure. Otherwise, you are going to find that your rice will not be fully cooked.
Therefore, 1 cup water and 1 cup of rice. That is what 1:1 means.
How to Fix Mushy Rice
Let me start off by saying if your rice is fully mush and completely breaks when you touch, it is best to toss and start over.
If it is a little mushy, you can dump the rice in a collender and run under cold water and gently use your fingers to help un-clump the rice. This can make it edible without being a clumpy mess of mushy rice.
Is This an Instant Pot Sticky Rice?
No, it's not actually sticky rice, although it might stick together some. Typically sticky rice (or Instant Pot sushi rice) is made with glutinous rice and sometimes with Jasmine rice.
Sticky rice is used for sushi rolls, sushi bowls, and more. Cooking a sushi rice Instant Pot recipe is an easy way to cook up a big batch of Asian rice at once.
More Instant Pot Recipe Ideas
Sesame Seeds Nutrition
- Calories in sesame seeds are as follows: 1 tablespoon has 52 calories.
- Calories in sesame oil: 120 calories in 1 tablespoon.
- According to WebMD, sesame oil is thought to provide heart-healthy fats, thus combating inflammation and protecting skin from sun damage.
Recipe for Instant Pot White Rice
You can make this a jasmine rice Instant Pot recipe using a 1:1 rice to liquid ratio.
Instant Pot Basmati rice also has a 1:1 rice to liquid ratio.
See the recipe card below for Instant Pot directions for cooking the rice and rinsing the rice.