Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
This Instant Pot Rice Pudding recipe is the perfect way to serve up rice as the ultimate dessert or breakfast option. A creamy rice pudding that is speckled with cinnamon and plump raisins.
I am a huge fan of rice pudding in Instant Pot. It is so easy to make and the rice comes out fluffy each and every time.
Instant Pot Rice Pudding Pot In Pot Method
I opted for the pot in pot method, it is the tried and true way to get the rice to come out how I prefer.
When you do pot-in-pot you might find you don’t run the risk of the burn notice like you would if you cooked directly in your inner pot. That is an extra layer of protection for your recipe.
What Pans Are Safe In Instant Pot
You will find that pretty much any oven-safe glass or metal pan will work for use in your Instant Pot.
You can buy tons of items specifically meant for use in the pressure cooker, or raid your cupboards for what you have on hand.
Best Rice To Use for Rice Pudding Recipe
White rice is my preferred rice for making a classic rice pudding. I find that it cooks up perfectly and pairs nicely with the creamy base, raisins, and cinnamon.
Now if you use any other type of rice, you need to ensure if it is brown rice or heartier rice you adjust the water ratio and time cook.
Can You Store Leftover Rice Pudding
Of course. Once your mixture cools down a bit you can then transfer to airtight containers and store in the fridge. Now, it won’t be as creamy when you go to reheat it.
The liquid will soak up in the fridge. You will find that if you warm your mixture up on the stove you can add in a little bit more milk or even heavy cream as you warm it up. That way it makes it a bit creamier of texture.
Optional Ways To Serve Up Rice Pudding
- Pumpkin Pie Spice or Apple Pie Spice
- Dollop of Whipped Cream
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips
- Add Blueberries or other fruit on top of rice pudding
As you can see you have so many options for add-in items to toppings. I love the pumpkin pie spice mixture when it is fall to really amp up the warm spices of fall in every bite.
Pot-in-Pot Cooking Supplies
- Instant Pot Pot-in-Pot – This pan is essential when cooking recipes that might stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Tall Trivet Set– Use this handy too when cooking a recipe in the inner pot and second recipe (or part of a recipe, like rice) utilizing the pot-in-pot method
- Sling– You’ll want to have a sling when you use the pot-in-pot method, like when you make cheesecake.
- Instant Pot Inner Pot – I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in really handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners– This book comes in handy when you’re learning how to use your Instant Pot and experimenting with new recipes.
Does Rice Pudding Freeze Well
You will find this does not freeze the best. Due to the dairy in the rice mixture, it will separate a bit once it thaws from the freezer. Rice as well will change texture once it thaws as well.
Now if you want to give it a try, feel free to test it out and see what you think. I would put it in the container while it is still warm so condensation builds so as you reheat it doesn’t dry out the rice as much.
Here are More Instant Pot Dessert Recipes To Try
- Chocolate Strawberry Cake | This cake recipe is loaded with chocolate cake, rich glazed strawberries and cooked to perfection in the pressure cooker.
- Fudge Brownie Cheesecake | Here is a cheesecake and brownie recipe all in one. Brownie based crust topped with a velvety smooth cheesecake filling.
- Pound Cake | Try my pound cake recipe that pairs perfectly with fresh fruit, whipped cream and more.
- Banana Split Steel Cut Oats | Now, of course, this can be served for breakfast, but it offers a rich banana split flavor in every bite.
Grab your rice out of the pantry and give this easy but satisfying recipe a try. Serve it up for breakfast, a mid-day treat or even prep for a dessert to pack in your child’s lunchbox each day.
Have you ever tried Instant Pot rice pudding in pot method? If you have let me know in the comments what you think, and how it compares to stove top methods you are used to.
More of Our Latest Recipes
- Instant Pot 2-Ingredient 7-Up Lemon Cake
- Instant Pot Goulash Recipe
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot Baked Ziti Recipe
- Popeye’s Cajun Dirty Rice Recipe – Instant Pot
- 1 1/2 cups of water, for Inner Pot
- 1 cup of white rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of vanilla
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 raisins, optional add-in
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Add water to the inner pot.
- Rinse rice and place it in a cooking pan that fits in your Instant Pot.
- Then add in next 6 ingredients.
- Place the pan on a trivet and lower it into the inner pot.
- Seal the Instant Pot and set for a high pressure time of 25 minutes.
- Follow this with a natural pressure release for about 20 minutes.
- Add cinnamon and stir.
- Optional add ins after cooking: heavy cream (to make the rice pudding creamier), additional brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins and nuts.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 82 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 24mg Carbohydrates: 14g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g