Mardi Gras may have come and gone, but making this Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice Recipe will transport you right to the heart of Louisiana Creole country.
Traditionally, red beans and rice is made on Mondays, by using the pork bones left over from Sunday's dinner.
Table of contents
The classic method for cooking red beans and rice is to keep them simmering away on the stove all day, so that they cook while the Monday chores get done. Continuing that tradition, many restaurants still offer a red beans and rice special on Mondays.
This Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice Recipe is the perfect solution for the more modern, busy lifestyle.
Thanks to the wonder of the Instant Pot, you can achieve that cooked-all-day flavor by simply tossing the ingredients into the Instant Pot and letting the pressure cooker do all the work. So easy!
And, you will love the smoky, spicy, and complex flavors of this Instant Pot Red beans and Rice Recipe, thanks to ingredients like:
- red beans
- kielbasa sausage
- red onion
- bell pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Cajun seasoning
What are the Ingredients in Cajun Seasoning?
There are many top-secret recipes out there for Cajun seasoning, and some that have been passed from generation to generation. but it almost always includes the following: salt, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes.
More Recipes Like Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice Recipe
If you like this Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice Recipe , you'll want to check out these other quick, easy, and delicious Instant Pot meals:
Useful Cooking Supplies
- Kitchen Scale- A kitchen scale is a must to have for so many recipes in order to have accurate measurements. This is something that is often overlooked in recipes.
- Meat Thermometer- Having a meat thermometer is essential. I have gone through so many 'inexpensive' thermometers that I finally invested in a heavy duty digital thermometer from BBQ guys. It was so worth it!
- Instant Pot Inner Pot - I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- Silicone Lid for Instant Pot- I'm not sure how I lived without this one. Having a silicone lid for my Instant Pot has made life so much easier. It is perfect for adding ingredients a day or two ahead of time.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners- If you are new to pressure cooking, this is a great ebook to get you started with basic recipes you will use over and over again.
How To Make Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice Recipe, Step By Step
Step #1: Turn Instant Pot onto sauté setting and add oil, onion, pepper and celery. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, and then turn off the sauté mode.
Step #2: Add all of the remaining ingredients, with the exception of the kielbasa. Close the Instant Pot lid, turn pressure valve to sealed, and set manual pressure on high for 30 minutes.
Step #3: Do a quick release when the pressure cooking time has elapsed, add sausage, turn the valve back to sealed and then set for an additional 15 minutes manual pressure on high.
Step #4: When the final cooking time has finished, allow for a complete natural pressure release. This will take 20-25 minutes.
Step #5: Serve over white or brown rice, and enjoy!
Check Out Our Latest Instant Pot Posts
- Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipes (and Soup and Chili Recipes) You Have to Try
- Ninja Foodi Roast Recipe
- Sous Vide Pork Roast
- Instant Pot Chocolate Bundt Cake Recipe
- Apple Spice Cake in the Instant Pot