Craving a beef and potatoes recipe? Give this Instant Pot Pot Roast recipe a try for dinner tonight. Perfectly seasoned tender beef roast, potatoes, and carrots.
A Sunday pot roast takes a fraction of the time to make compared to a slow cooker roast or oven-baked roast. Give this meat & potatoes recipe tonight.
This recipe gives you pressure-cooked roast in under 90 minutes from start to finish without having to pull out the dutch oven. There are 8 grams of saturated fat per serving.
Table of contents
Why This Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker Roast Is A Must Make
- Sear the pot roast to help lock in tons of flavor and texture
- A meal in one, with potatoes and carrots
- Can cook a frozen roast in instant pot - just skip searing the roast
- Simple Ingredients
- Comfort food
Ingredients For Pressure Cooker Pot Roast
- Beef Roast
- Salt & Pepper
- Onion Soup Mix
- Red Wine Vinegar
Instant Pot potatoes and carrots shaves off a ton of cook time, but still leaves you with that fork tender roast.
How to Make This Roast Recipe
The full directions and measurements for this instant pot roast beef and gravy are in the printable recipe card below.
The first thing you want to do is season your roast well, and then pour the oil in the pressure cooker and turn the pressure cooker on to saute.
Sear your pot roast on all sides, giving it that golden brown color. Pour your water into the Instant Pot and use a wooden spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pan.
Next, you will add in all your other ingredients and then place the lid on and make sure the valve is set to sealing. Pressure cook for 50-75 minutes followed by a natural release of pressure.
The cooking time will vary depending on the size of your chuck roast. For a 3 pound roast, your cooking time will be 50 minutes. For the 5 pound roast, you'll want to pressure cook for 75 minutes.
Remove the roast and vegetables. If you want to make a roast gravy turn the saute mode on, and pour in a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce to a nice rich gravy.
Expert Tips & Variations To Recipe
- You can leave out the potatoes and carrots if you don't want the vegetables with the roast.
- If you want to cook from frozen, just skip searing and pressure cook the same amount of time.
- Feel free to change up the seasonings to create your favorite flavor of pot roast.
- Serve this meat and potatoes with any of your favorite side dishes.
- Make sure to natural release your roast or it will leave your roast feeling tough.
If you are unsure, the general rule is to cook your beef roast 20 minutes per pound. This will give you a nice tender potroast.
I added a cup and a half of water to my Instant Pot for a 3-5 pound roast. Now, if you want to add more you can, or swap water with broth to give your roast a richer flavor.
Personally, I find that roast is better in the Instant Pot. The high pressure helps lock in all the flavor to the roast that you added to the seasoning.
If you find your roast is tough that means you need to cook it longer. Add on another 10 minutes or so to allow more time for the roast to cook and soften up to become tender.
More Pressure Cooker Recipes
Love meat recipes for dinner? Instant Pot recipes, beef slow cooker dinners, and Ninja Foodi recipes are a great way to make an easy dinner recipe.
- Instant Pot Pork Roast - make a pressure cooker Ninja Foodi pot roast with this seasoned pork recipe. For an optional step, sear the meat for a few minutes per side. Then make sure to deglaze the bottom of the pot with beef broth or water.
- Best Instant Pot Roast Beef - As with all roast meat, you'll want to do a manual pressure release for the first 10 minutes or so instead of going straight to a quick release. This gives the meat more time to cook, and is factored into its cooking time.
- Ninja Foodi Roast
- Instapot Roast
Another recipe to add to your meal plan is this delicious crockpot lasagna.