Sharing is caring!
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas is so tender, so satisfying, and so easy to make, it is destined to quickly rise to the top of your favorite foods list.
Table of contents
You will fall in love with the melt-in-your-mouth quality and zesty flavors of this Instant Pot Pork Carnitas recipe, thanks to ingredients like:
- Pork roast
- Chipotle sauce
- Adobo all-purpose seasoning
- Bell peppers
- Bay leaves
- Garlic powder
What is Pork Carnitas?
Carnitas literally means "little meats", and is a staple of Mexican cuisine that originates from the state of Michoacán. Carnitas is traditionally made by slowly braising or simmering pork, and the result is very tender, juicy, shreddable meat.
The cooking process typically takes four hours, but thanks to the wonder that is the Instant Pot, this flavorful dish is ready to serve in just half the time of the traditional method!
One Tip for Cleaning Your Instant Pot
While cooking in the Instant Pot is quick and easy, it can sometimes leave behind stubborn stains and build-up.
Here's an easy solution for returning the Instant Pot inner liner (the stainless steel pot) to its original sparkling state. Sprinkle some Bar Keepers Friend in the bottom of the pot, add a touch of water, and give it a scrub with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. This simple combination really does work wonders!
Our Latest Instant Pot Recipes
- How Many Ounces Are in a Barrel of Beer?
- Is Oatmeal Good for Upset Stomach? Uncovering Soothing Foods for Digestive Woes
- Crockpot Guinness Beer Pot Roast
- 15 Bean Soup Crockpot Recipe
- Can You Put Frozen Ground Turkey in Crock Pot: Safe Cooking Tips Revealed
What to Serve With Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
Traditional pork carnitas is served with salsa, guacamole, corn tortillas, refried beans, and topped with chopped cilantro and diced onion.
If you're feeling adventurous, try serving your Instant Pot Pork Carnitas with delicious Mexican Rice with Stuffed Peppers or pairing it with these delectable Black Bean Goat Cheese Quesadillas. Our Instant Pot Refried Beans are also amazing.
How To Make Instant Pot Pork Carnitas Step By Step
Step #1: On sauté mode, sear meat on both sides and then turn sauté off.
Step #2: Combine remaining ingredients in the Instant Pot.
Step #3: Close the lid and turn the valve to sealing (not venting) position.
Step #4: Set to a manual high time for 80 minutes. When the cooking time has finished, allow for a manual pressure release before removing meat from the pot to shred.
Step #5: Once meat has been shredded, place in a serving dish, and add the juices and seasonings from the Instant Pot. Enjoy!
More Delicious Instant Pot Recipes
If you love Instant Pot Pork Carnitas, you'll want to check out these other Instant Pot favorites:
Supplies used to make the best Pork Carnitas Recipe
- Instant Pot DUO
- Inner Cooking Pot
- Silicone Lid
- Wooden Spoon
- Spoon Rest
- Kitchen Tongs with Silicone Tip
- Meat Shredder
Ingredients for a delicious Instant Pot Pork Carnitas Recipe
- 2 1/2 -3 pound pork roast
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper (any color, or half of two colors - we used red and orange)
- 7 ounce can Chipotle sauce (found in Mexican or International food aisle)
- 1 teaspoon Adobo all-purpose seasoning (also found in Mexican or International food aisle)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- On sauté mode, sear meat on both sides and then turn sauté off.
- Combine remaining ingredients in the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and turn the valve to sealing (not venting) position.
- Set to a manual high time for 80 minutes. When the cooking time has finished, allow for a manual pressure release before removing meat from the pot to shred.
- Once meat has been shredded, place in a serving dish, and add the juices and seasonings from the Instant Pot.
Serve pork carnitas on corn or flour tortillas or a tostada shell.
- Can my dog eat Pork Carnitas? It is not recommended to give this recipe to your dog. Although your dog's diet is based on meat, the spicy and strong ingredients that the recipe contains aren't the best for his organism. Flavors like garlic and onion are highly toxic to the dog's stomach. If you want to give Pork Carnitas to your dog, you must eliminate the toxic ingredients from the recipe: onion, garlic, and all the hot peppers and sauces.
- Can my cat eat Pork Carnitas? Given that cats are carnivores, this recipe sounds harmless, but it is not. Ingredients like garlic and onion are highly dangerous for your cat. As well as the rest of the spicy ingredients. Therefore, it would be better to avoid sharing this dish with your cat.So if you want to share this recipe with your cat, you need to remove the ingredients said above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer, Includes Free App with over 1900 Recipes, Stainless Steel, 6 Quart
Instant Pot IP-Stainless Steel Inner Pot 8Qt Genuine Stainless Steel Inner Cooking Pot - 8 Quart
Instant Pot Silicone Lid, 8 quart, White
Wooden Spoons for Cooking,Nonstick Kitchen Utensil Set,Wooden Spoons Cooking Utensil Set Non Scratch Natural Teak Wooden Utensils for Cooking(Teak 8 Pack)
Modern Silicone Spoon Rests (Set of 3) | Kitchen Utensil Holders | Quality Material | BPA Free | Counter Spatula Holder | Stovetop Spoon Rest
Kaluns Kitchen Tongs for Cooking, Non Stick Silicone Tip Stainless Steel Tongs, Set of Four 7,9, and 12 Inch Tong Plus Silicone Spatula Non-stick, Heat Resistant Serving Utensils
LOPE & NG Meat Handler Shredder Claws Set of 2 - Wood Stainless Steel BBQ Pulled Pork Paws for Shredding Handing Carving Food
Amount Per Serving Calories 524Total Fat 37gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 154mgSodium 813mgCarbohydrates 5gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 1gSugar 2gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 41g
Jessica McCoy is a seasoned food blogger with 14+ years of experience in the industry. As a self-taught home cook, she enjoys creating and finetuning easy recipes that are fool proof and simple for anyone to make. Her expertise is in all things kitchen: cooking tips, air fryer recipes, Instant Pot and other pressure cooking recipes, and slow cooker recipes. Jessica was the previous owner of AllSheCooks, where she focused on easy every day recipes including budget friendly dinner recipes and desserts.
Sharing is caring!