Sharing is caring!
Popeyes Cajun Dirty Rice is one recipe we love in our home. Stay at home and get all your favorite Popeyes flavor in every bite.
If you are looking for an Instant Pot Dirty Rice recipe, this is one to try. Ground beef, chicken, and more come together for a tasty Popeyes inspired recipe. I like to serve it with Instant Pot Chicken and Green Beans.
I wanted to make a dish that we could feed the family with. The rice cooks up light and fluffy in the Instant Pot.
Why Make Popeye's Cajun Dirty Rice...
- Similar flavors to Popeye's
- Easy to make
- Instant Pot speeds up the cooking process
- Reheats nicely
- Full of Cajun flavor
- Ground Beef
- Chicken Pieces
- Green Onion
- Cajun Seasoning
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Black Pepper
- Chicken Stock
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make Dirty Rice
Saute your chicken and beef in the Instant Pot on the saute mode. Add in the veggies to help them cook down and release flavor.
Add in your stock and use that to deglaze the bottom of your pot with a wooden spoon. This is important to prevent the burn notice.
Add in the remaining ingredients, and pressure cook as directed.
Once done, stir well, and dish up this easy Cajun rice. This recipe here is a great rice side dish, or serve it up as a main dish.
Check out all our rice recipes.
What to Pair With
You could pair almost anything with this dish. Instant Pot collard greens, buttered dinner rolls, salad, and more.
It is very versatile in flavor so the side dishes are endless. We tend to do a type of bread and that is it. Such a hearty dish on its own, or pair with a side of cornbread, salad, or even greens.
Tips and Tricks For Recipe
- Feel free to leave out the chicken or even swap with gizzards for a more authentic feel.
- I used ground beef as well but you can omit that, or use sausage instead.
- Use a fork to fluff the rice, to help give it that light and fluffy texture.
- Creole seasoning or even Cajun seasoning works. They are slightly different in flavor so use what you prefer or have on hand.
- If you want to make this a side dish without meat you can leave it out. The meat adds a lot of flavor to the dish.
- When you use the saute feature, you have to deglaze the pot. Adding liquid and then use a wooden spoon to help lift off any stuck on pieces of food. Otherwise, you run the risk of a burn notice happening to your dish.
More of Our Latest Recipes You Might Enjoy
- How Many Ounces Are in a Barrel of Beer?
- Is Oatmeal Good for Upset Stomach? Uncovering Soothing Foods for Digestive Woes
- Crockpot Guinness Beer Pot Roast
- 15 Bean Soup Crockpot Recipe
- Can You Put Frozen Ground Turkey in Crock Pot: Safe Cooking Tips Revealed
Ground beef and chicken collide in this dish. You will find a nice rich cajun seasoning, peppers, green onions, yellow onions, long grain rice and more.
Full of rich and satisfying flavor in every single bite. You will get very similar flavor to your favorite Popeye's rice.
Some people use organ parts to make dirty rice. While I didn't do that, you are more than welcome to do that if you would prefer.
You will have to saute your meat and veggies and then get all the other ingredients dumped into your pressure cooker. Then a 10 minute cook time with a quick release.
Now, always take into factor you have to allow your Instant Pot to come to pressure before the clock begins on cooking. Sometimes people forget that part, so factor it in.
It can take around 10-15 minutes for your Instant Pot to come to pressure.
Short or long-grain white rice is best to use when making this rice. If you use a different variety, you will find that it can alter the liquid ratio and cook time. So if you swap out the rice adjust the cooking time.
Reach for cornbread, cucumbers and onions, bread and butter, or any other of your favorites. Fried chicken, greens, and other items like that pair really well with this recipe.
Rice can be frozen, the only thing to watch is it will be softer in texture. Store your rice in the freezer for 2-3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight or warm it up from frozen in the microwave.
To spice up the dish add some more Cajun seasoning, or even hot sauce to add a kick of heat.
Helpful Kitchen Supplies
- Kitchen Scale- A kitchen scale is a must to have for so many recipes in order to have accurate measurements. This is something that is often overlooked in recipes.
- Meat Thermometer- Having a meat thermometer is essential. I have gone through so many 'inexpensive' thermometers that I finally invested in a heavy duty digital thermometer from BBQ guys. It was so worth it!
- Instant Pot Inner Pot - I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- Silicone Lid for Instant Pot- I'm not sure how I lived without this one. Having a silicone lid for my Instant Pot has made life so much easier. It is perfect for adding ingredients a day or two ahead of time.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners- If you are new to pressure cooking, this is a great ebook to get you started with basic recipes you will use over and over again.
More Easy Recipes Featuring Rice
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Casserole | Get the flavor of an enchilada in every single bite of this rice dish. One of my favorites and so easy to make up.
- Pineapple Fried Rice | If you enjoy sweet and savory give this fried rice with pineapple a try today.
- Cajun Sausage and Rice | Another cajun inspired dish that will give you a nice punch of flavor in every single bite.
- Red Beans and Rice | Here is a great red beans and rice dish that is filling and comforting. Whip this up in no time.
Popeye's Cajun Dirty Rice
- 1 pound ground beef (I used 93% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped chicken pieces (whatever you have on hand)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper (I used red)
- 1/3 cup diced green onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning or Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute meat and veggies until meat has browned.
- Add in liquid and deglaze bottom of pan.
- Add in seasonings.
- Add rice and gently submerge without stirring.
- Close lid and set pressure valve to sealing position.
- Set for a manual LOW pressure time of 10 minutes.
- Do a quick pressure release.
This dish can be served as a main dish or a side dish.
You can eat this delicious dirty rice on its own, or you can use it as a side to a pork chop, ribs, meat, or even with fried eggs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer, Includes Free App with over 1900 Recipes, Stainless Steel, 6 Quart
Instant Pot Ceramic Non Stick Interior Coated Inner Cooking Pot 8 Quart
Instant Pot Tempered Glass Lid, 10" Stainless Steel (8 Qt/ 8L model)
AKOAK 3 Piece Creative Household Kitchen Tools,Lovely Squirrel Shape Standing Spoon Non-stick Rice Spoon Fashion Rice Cooker Dishes Filled Scoop Shovel
Japanese Design 2.1Qt (2L) Design Rice Washer Strainer Colanders for Cleaning Vegetable, Fruit, Pasta (Small, Green)
Amount Per Serving Calories 266Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 69mgSodium 1003mgCarbohydrates 16gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 1gSugar 2gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 22g
Jessica McCoy is a seasoned food blogger with 14+ years of experience in the industry. As a self-taught home cook, she enjoys creating and finetuning easy recipes that are fool proof and simple for anyone to make. Her expertise is in all things kitchen: cooking tips, air fryer recipes, Instant Pot and other pressure cooking recipes, and slow cooker recipes. Jessica was the previous owner of AllSheCooks, where she focused on easy every day recipes including budget friendly dinner recipes and desserts.
Sharing is caring!