Once you try this Instant Pot New York Cheesecake recipe, you will never go back to baking your cheesecake in the oven again! Not only is the taste truly amazing, but it cooks to perfection and the top stays crack-free! This really is a foolproof way to make classic cheesecake.
In the great "cake or pie" dessert debate, cheesecake is the true equalizer. The classic combination of rich, creamy cheesecake filling and that sweet, chewy graham cracker crumb crust is so delectable and satisfying, it's no wonder that cheesecake finds itself in the top 10 list of most popular desserts.
There are even people who insist on celebrating birthdays with cheesecake, rather than a traditional-style birthday cake.
And while there are all sorts of flavored cheesecakes (and many of them are quite delicious) there is something extra special about the unadorned, classic cheesecake that keeps people coming back for more.
Table of contents
Why is it Called Cheesecake?
It is thought that the ancient Greeks made the first “cheese cakes” by combining wheat, yeast, honey and cheese into a round cake shape and baking it. This simple recipe was then adapted in 18th century Europe when people began using beaten eggs instead of yeast to make breads and cakes.
Removing the yeast made the cheesecake taste more like a sweet dessert. European immigrants then brought their cheesecake recipes to America, where the recipe was adapted to include cream cheese, now considered to be a staple ingredient for making cheesecake in the United States.
Fun fact: the world's largest cheesecake was 90.25 inches in diameter, nearly 31 inches deep, and weighed 6,900-pounds! That's a lot of cheesecake!
Why You'll Love New York Instant Pot Cheesecake
Ever since it made its market debut, cooks have been raving about making cheesecake in the Instant Pot. And it remains at the top of the list of popular Instant Pot recipes, because of the steamy pressure cooking environment that creates such an amazingly smooth and creamy cheesecake.
Plus, it is so much faster! Traditional cheesecake recipes require over an hour of baking time, while Instant Pot cheesecake cooks in just 35 minutes (plus another 12 minutes of natural release time).
More Delicious Instant Pot Cheesecake Recipes
Love making this Instant Pot Cherry Swirl Cheesecake recipe and ready for more? Then check out this compilation of the Apple Crumble Cheesecake.
Instant Pot Peanut Butter Cheesecake is a perfect sweet treat for peanut butter fans.
For those on the keto program or following a grain-free eating plan, this Instant Pot Grain-free Keto Cheesecake recipe is a tasty dessert that won't derail your diet.
New to cooking with a pressure cooker? Try out the Be the Boss of Your Instant Pot Video Course! It'll help take the pressure off and ease you into cooking with your Instant Pot.
How To Make Instant Pot New York Cheesecake Step By Step
Step #1: Combine graham cracker crumbs with sugar and melted butter, then pat down in the bottom of a 7-inch springform pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
Step #2: Cream together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth and then mix in the eggs one at a time.
Step #3: Next, add in the vanilla or almond extract and sour cream and mix until smooth.
Step #4: Pour into springform pan on top of the graham cracker crust. Run a fork back and forth through the cheesecake several times to remove air bubbles. Cover with foil.
Step #5: Pour two cups of water into the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Make a sling out of aluminum foil to lower the pan into the Instant Pot, then close the lid of the Instant Pot and turn to sealing position.
Step #6: Set for a manual high pressure time of 35 minutes. When time has finished, allow for a natural release for 12 minutes before letting out the rest of the steam.
Step #7: Cool on the counter for an hour and then put in the refrigerator and cool for an additional 4 hours. If desired, add toppings before serving. Enjoy!
More Cheesecake Recipes
- Instant Pot Orange Creamsicle Cheesecake Recipe
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes Cheesecake Recipe
- Instant Pot Twix Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Apple Cheesecake with Apple Cinnamon Topping
- Instant Pot Pecan Cheesecake
Supplies Needed to Make Instant Pot Cheesecake
- 6-inch by 3-inch Push Pan or 7-inch by 3-inch Push Pan- I recently started using a high push pan instead of a spring-form pan. In my opinion, the cheesecake looks amazing this way.
- Silicone Sling- This is an essential unless you want to make a sling out of foil every time you make a cheesecake or use a pan in the Instant Pot that needs to be lifted out.
- Large Decorating Tips- I used a decorating tip and reusable icing bag to pipe frosting onto the top of the cake. It gives the cake a prettier, more professional style.
- Reusable Decorating Bag- Do yourself a favor and invest in a nice reusable bag for decorating cakes and cupcakes. It works so much better than the disposable bags and is better for the environment. Even better, they are pretty inexpensive.
- Parchment Rounds- Pre-cut parchment rounds (and squares) are available in a variety of sizes depending on your needs. This can be a huge time-saver so you don't have to measure and cut a circle out.