If you're a fan of mashed potatoes, you're going to love this Instant Pot Mashed Red Potatoes recipe. It's such a simple recipe to make and even better when your Instant Pot gets to take over and do all the hard work.
Table of contents
- Red Potatoes Mashed Potatoes Recipe Ideas
- Instant Pot Kitchen Supplies
- Ingredients needed to make Mashed Red Potatoes in the Instant Pot
- Do you have to peel potatoes before mashing them?
- How do you know when potatoes are soft enough to mash?
- More Side Dish Recipes
- Toppings Ideas for Instant Pot Red Mashed Potatoes
- Tips for Cleaning Your Instant Pot
- Ways to Use Leftover Mashed Potatoes
Red Potatoes Mashed Potatoes Recipe Ideas
Is there anything more comforting than a big pile of mashed red potatoes? It's one of my favorite comfort foods that I'll gladly chow down on any time of year.
And since you can add so many varied toppings to mashed potatoes, you can easily make this simple potato dish taste different time and time again.
Instant Pot Kitchen Supplies
- Instant Pot Inner Pot - I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in really handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- Silicone Lid for Instant Pot- I'm not sure how I lived without this one. Having a silicone lid for my Instant Pot has made life so much easier. It is perfect for adding ingredients a day or two ahead of time.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners- If you are new to pressure cooking, this is a great ebook to get you started with basic recipes you will use over and over again.
Ingredients needed to make Mashed Red Potatoes in the Instant Pot
- Red potatoes
- Garlic cloves
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Cream cheese
Do you have to peel potatoes before mashing them?
You don't have to, no. This recipe doesn't have you peeling the potatoes but you can if you want. I like the added texture and flavor that the potato skin adds to the recipe but it really does come down to preference.
How do you know when potatoes are soft enough to mash?
The Instant Pot really takes away that worry since it does such a great job of cooking the potatoes, making them totally mashable.
But for future reference, the easiest way to tell if potatoes are ready to be mashed is to use the fork test. Take your fork and press it into the potato. If it enters easily, the potato is cooked all the way through and should be ready to mash. If you feel resistance, it needs more time to cook.
More Side Dish Recipes
- Korean Spicy Noodles | These noodles make a great side dish to go along with roasted chicken or pork.
- Instant Pot Green Beans | Green beans are the best Instant Pot holiday side dish recipe. They also work nicely for an easy weeknight dinner.
- Ham Potato Soup | If you have leftover ham, why not use it in this easy potato soup recipe? It's an Instant Pot ham and potato soup recipe that is beyond delicious!
- Strainer | I use this strainer for nearly everything while cooking. For this recipe, I used it to wash the potatoes and keep my hands free.
- Butcher knife | This is my go-to knife. It's a great kitchen knife that can chop up garlic or cut meat.
- White Instant Pot Duo | There is something so elegant and classic about this crisp white Instant Pot. It looks gorgeous just sitting on the counter, and also cooks up a storm.
- KitchenAid immersion blender | You'll want to use either an immersion blender like this one, a potato masher or a mixer to mash the potatoes and get that nice creamy consistency.
Toppings Ideas for Instant Pot Red Mashed Potatoes
I've said it once and I'll say it again, toppings can change up the flavor of any dish easily. If you're a fan of toppings, welcome to my world. I'm all about adding as many toppings as possible to create new flavors and dishes.
Some of my favorite potato toppings are:
- Bacon bits
- French Onion Straws
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Cottage Cheese
- Cayenne Pepper
- Dash of Hot Sauce
- Chopped Jalapenos
See where I'm going with this? This is probably one of the biggest reasons that my family and I love mashed potatoes so much.
Having a side dish that offers so many versatile ways of changing up the flavor is an awesome recipe to have on hand!
Tips for Cleaning Your Instant Pot
Ways to Use Leftover Mashed Potatoes
Last, but not least, there are a few ways that you can use leftover mashed potatoes.
Frying up a mashed potato patty is one of my favorites and it's so good with a bit of ketchup as well.
And if you peeled your potatoes, you can use a few of your leftovers to make homemade potato bread, too!