Chicken is a mealtime favorite, with Americans eating close to 92 pounds per person (!) last year. When it comes to the reasons that we tend to choose chicken over other types of meat, healthiness, versatility, and convenience top the list.
And, this Instant Pot Jerk Chicken Recipe checks all three of the boxes!
What is Jerk Chicken?
Jerk is a style of cooking native to Jamaica, in which meat is dry-rubbed or wet marinated with a hot spice mixture called Jamaican jerk spice.
The main ingredients of Jerk spice seasoning are allspice (called “pimento” in Jamaica) and Scotch bonnet peppers. Other ingredients may include; cloves, cinnamon, scallions, nutmeg, thyme, garlic, brown sugar, ginger, and salt.
The Benefit of Making Instant Pot Jerk Chicken Recipe
The traditional Jerk cooking method involves slowly cooking the meat over a smoking wood fire. But thanks to the multi-function wonder that is the Instant Pot, in just 12 minutes, you can enjoy the deliciously smoky, spicy Jerk flavor that would otherwise take hours to achieve.
Plus, with the Instant Pot you can simply toss the ingredients in, set it, and walk away. It’s just that easy!
What to Serve with Instant Pot Jerk Chicken Recipe
Jerk chicken is commonly served alongside Caribbean-style rice and beans, which is made with coconut, allspice, and cinnamon.
Other dishes that complement the heat and spice of this Instant Pot Jerk Chicken Recipe are fried plantains, pineapple chow (a type of fruit salsa), and sweet potato cakes.
Instant Pot and Kitchen Supplies
- Kitchen Scale– A kitchen scale is a must to have for so many recipes in order to have accurate measurements. This is something that is often overlooked in recipes.
- Meat Thermometer– Having a meat thermometer is essential. I have gone through so many ‘inexpensive’ thermometers that I finally invested in a heavy duty digital thermometer from BBQ guys. It was so worth it!
- Instant Pot Inner Pot – I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- Silicone Lid for Instant Pot– I’m not sure how I lived without this one. Having a silicone lid for my Instant Pot has made life so much easier. It is perfect for adding ingredients a day or two ahead of time.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners– If you are new to pressure cooking, this is a great ebook to get you started with basic recipes you will use over and over again.
How To Make Instant Pot Jerk Chicken Recipe Step by Step
Step #1: Combine all ingredients except chicken in a food processor or blender and process until liquified.
Step #2: Add chicken to the Instant Pot and top with sauce. Stir and close Instant Pot. Turn pressure valve to sealed and set manual pressure on high for 12 minutes.
Step #3: Do a quick release when cooking time has elapsed.
Step #4: Remove chicken from Instant Pot and spread over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Drizzle sauce over the chicken.
Step #5: Serve as is, or for a golden-brown finish, set broiler to high and broil for 6-10 minutes, turning once, until chicken is nicely browned. Enjoy!
More Great Recipes Like Instant Pot Jerk Chicken
If you love this Instant Pot Jerk Chicken Recipe, then you’ll want to check out these other delicious Instant Pot meals:
- Instant Pot Pinto Beans Recipe
- Chocolate Strawberry Cake – Instant Pot Desserts Recipe
- How to Make Turkey Gravy in an Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Cherry Cobbler
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast Recipe
Have you tried this recipe? Don’t forget to Rate This Recipe below. While you’re at it, share a picture on Instagram with #apressurecookerrecipe so we can see how your recipe turned out!
- 4 pounds chicken, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 3 small hot chili peppers
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in a food processor or blender and process until liquified.
- Add chicken to the Instant Pot and top with sauce. Stir and close Instant Pot. Turn pressure valve to sealed and set manual pressure on high for 12 minutes.
- Do a quick release when cooking time has elapsed.
- Remove chicken from Instant Pot and spread over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Drizzle sauce over the chicken.
- Serve as is, or for a golden browned finish, set broiler to high and broil for 6-10 minutes, turning once, until chicken is nicely browned.
- Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 527 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 214mg Sodium: 441mg Carbohydrates: 5g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 56g