Ground beef, potato, shredded cheese oh my! This delicious Hamburger Helper copycat recipe will taste better than any store-bought version.
The delicious flavors of your seasons combined with ground beef, shredded cheese, and potato in the Instant Pot will blow your taste buds away.
Who would have thought you didn’t need pasta to make homemade Hamburger Helper? Well, I’m here to show you how you can make a copycat Hamburger Helper using potatoes instead of pasta.
Are potatoes better than pasta?
Potatoes are better than pasta as they deliver more complex carbohydrates than pasta. Regular pasta doesn’t provide that energy punch you want, which is why you’ll find that eating pasta makes you sleepy.
Potatoes are a favorite carbohydrate option for runners and other active people who want to get their carb fix in but maintain energy levels.
How long can you keep ground beef in the refrigerator?
If you already purchased your ground beef during your latest grocery shopping adventure, then remember this will only keep in your refrigerator for 1-2 days.
It’s best to make a meal plan and purchase your ground beef accordingly to be certain it won’t go bad before you’re able to make this homemade Hamburger Helper recipe.
Can you substitute chicken in Hamburger Helper?
If you want to transform my Instant Pot Hamburger Helper to a “chicken helper” then you can do that. I highly recommend you swap out the ground beef with chicken and the beef broth with chicken broth.
A homemade chicken Hamburger Helper is a unique way to add a twist to my delicious Instant Pot hamburger helper recipe featured below.
Can you freeze homemade hamburger helper?
As with most casserole type dishes, yes you can freeze homemade Hamburger Helper. The key is to place your cooled down recipe into freezer-safe containers so that you’re able to easily reheat your Hamburger Helper in the Instant Pot for later consumption.
Since this Instant Pot recipe only takes 12 minutes to make, I highly suggest you make just enough for dinner time so you won’t have to freeze any leftovers.
What are the Best Sides for Hamburger Helper?
This one-pot meal idea is fast, simple and flavorful. Everyone in the home will enjoy biting into their own bowl of Instant Pot hamburger helper.
This is perfectly paired with a green vegetable of your choice and perhaps a side of your favorite garlic or buttered bread. This Instant Pot Green Bean recipe is delicious.
Another delicious side dish is this Italian Salad.
You can enjoy this Instant Pot Hamburger Helper as a standalone meal for lunch or dinner. Whether you serve a side with your potato Hamburger Helper or not, is completely up to you and your family’s preferences.
List of Our Favorite Instant Pot Supplies
- Kitchen Scale– A kitchen scale is a must to have for so many recipes in order to have accurate measurements. This is something that is often overlooked in recipes.
- Meat Thermometer– Having a meat thermometer is essential. I have gone through so many ‘inexpensive’ thermometers that I finally invested in a heavy duty digital thermometer from BBQ guys. It was so worth it!
- Instant Pot Inner Pot – I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- Silicone Lid for Instant Pot– I’m not sure how I lived without this one. Having a silicone lid for my Instant Pot has made life so much easier. It is perfect for adding ingredients a day or two ahead of time.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners– If you are new to pressure cooking, this is a great ebook to get you started with basic recipes you will use over and over again.
How do you make Hamburger Helper?
Gather the list of ingredients below to make Hamburger Helper at home. This copycat recipe features a flavorful combination of the best seasonings and uses potatoes instead of pasta.
Add your ground beef to the inner pot and set on saute mode.
Add your sliced potatoes into your ground beef, along with the beef stock and seasonings.
Stir all of the ingredients together inside your Instant Pot.
Close the lid and set your Instant pot for a manual high pressure and cook for 2 minutes.
Turn the saute mode on your Instant Pot then add your milk and cheddar cheese in.
Once your cheese is melted, add your water and cornstarch mixture to thicken your homemade helper.
Now you’re ready to find out that homemade helper will be your next best mealtime recipe for the family!
Place your cooked homemade helper into single-serve bowls, and serve to your family.
Making Hamburger Helper in your house will never be the same again!
More Easy Instant Pot Dinner Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Curry Recipe
- Instant Pot Beefy Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Meatballs and Meatball Sliders
- and the rest of our Instant Pot Easy Dinner Recipes
Have you tried this recipe? Don’t forget to Rate This Recipe below. While you’re at it, share a picture on Instagram with #apressurecookerrecipe so we can see how your recipe turned out!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup beef stock
- 4 cups sliced potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups milk
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Add ground beef to the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Cook on saute mode until the ground beef has browned.
- Add in sliced potatoes, beef stock, and seasonings. Stir together.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the pressure valve to sealing. Set for a manual high pressure time of 2 minutes and do a quick pressure release when the cooking time has finished.
- Turn on the saute mode. Add in milk and cheddar cheese, stirring to mix in and melt the cheese. Mix together water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Pour in to pot and stir in to thicken homemade helper.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 725 Total Fat: 37g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 153mg Sodium: 1109mg Carbohydrates: 48g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 50g