Instant Pot Hamburger Soup is a depression soup that has been around forever. A hamburger vegetable soup loaded with veggies, ground beef in a rich and savory broth.
Table of contents
If you are looking for the poor man's soup, aka pantry soup, look no further!
Hamburger Soup Recipe
Basic ingredients that are affordable and filling, don’t let the name fool you, this soup is actually super tasty.
Whip it up and serve your family and enjoy leftovers the next day. I love to pair with rolls or even bread and butter.
Why Is It Called Poor Man’s Soup
It is called poor man’s soup because it is a simple recipe with affordable ingredients. You can use freezer ingredients or fresh produce. Add in some ground beef for added protein and dive in.
Can I Swap Ground Beef
Yes, you are welcome to use ground turkey, pork, or even chicken! I prefer ground beef as it adds a bit more flavor than the leaner meats.
But you are welcome to use what you have on hand. Even a breakfast sausage could be great to add.
Best Instant Pot Supplies
- Kitchen Scale- A kitchen scale is a must to have for so many recipes in order to have accurate measurements. This is something that is often overlooked in recipes.
- Meat Thermometer- Having a meat thermometer is essential. I have gone through so many 'inexpensive' thermometers that I finally invested in a heavy duty digital thermometer from BBQ guys. It was so worth it!
- Instant Pot Inner Pot - I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- Silicone Lid for Instant Pot- I'm not sure how I lived without this one. Having a silicone lid for my Instant Pot has made life so much easier. It is perfect for adding ingredients a day or two ahead of time.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners- If you are new to pressure cooking, this is a great ebook to get you started with basic recipes you will use over and over again.
Vegetables in Hamburger Soup
Now the beauty of this instant pot soup is the vegetables can be adjusted to what you have on hand.
So say you don’t have potatoes, you can leave them out, I have even tossed the pasta in a few times to replace the pasta so there is still a filling starch.
Mix and match and raid your fridge and freezer for what you have on hand to toss in.
Can You Freeze Hamburger Soup
I have not personally frozen this soup. I will say potatoes tend to alter in texture once they have thawed from being frozen.
So if you do try to freeze soup know the potatoes might break down a bit more than once they were frozen.
Want more easy pressure cooker recipe
- Beef Enchilada Hamburger Helper Casserole | Cheesy, Tex-Mex flavored beef enchilada casserole that is loaded with flavor!
- Hawaiian Chicken | Sweet and savory collides in this chicken recipe. Serve over a bed of rice and ring that dinner bell.
- Korean Ground Beef | Better than takeout and full of flavors that tickle your taste buds!
Meal Prep With Soup
Another thing to consider is meal prepping a few days with leftover soup. This makes an awesome lunch that you can heat up and enjoy, on a cold day.
I have even heated up soup and poured in a thermos for packing lunches while on the go.
Give this soup a whirl and let me know what you think. It is loaded with flavor, feeds a crowd and is affordable!
More of Our Latest Recipes
- Want to Easily Make Korean Ground Beef Recipe for the Instant Pot? Newly Obsessed!
- How to Convert from the US Measurements to the Metric System
- Why You Absolutely Need to Try This Delicious Chicken Parmesan Air Fryer Recipe
- Learn How to Easily Make This Amazing Instant Pot Steak
- Garlic Naan Recipe - How to Make Naan Bread