Sharing is caring!
Instant Pot Hamburger Soup is a depression soup that has been around forever. A hamburger vegetable soup loaded with veggies, ground beef in a rich and savory broth.
If you are looking for the poor man's soup, aka pantry soup, look no further!
Table of contents
If you are a fan of ground beef this is a great ground beef recipe that is easy for you to try out.
Why Make This Ground Beef and Vegetable Soup...
- Easy Ingredients
- Quick Cook Time
- Great for the whole family
Basic ingredients that are affordable and filling, don’t let the name fool you, this soup is actually super tasty.
Whip it up and serve your family and enjoy leftovers the next day. I love to pair with rolls or even bread and butter.
- Ground Beef
- Red Onion
- Russet Potatoes
- Mixed Vegetables
- Beef Broth
How to Make
Brown your ground beef on the saute feature in the Instant Pot. Add in onions at the end of cooking to get them transclucent.
Once the meat is cooked, you can drain off excess oil. Toss in the remaining ingredients and then close the lid on the pressure cooker.
Pressure cook for 6 minutes, followed by a quick release.
Remove lid carefully, and stir and serve up this poor man's soup!
Storage Of Soup
With any leftovers you have, place in a proper container and store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Then warm up in the microwave, stove, or even in the Instant Pot.
Can You Freeze Hamburger Soup
I have not personally frozen this soup. I will say potatoes tend to alter in texture once they have thawed from being frozen.
So if you do try to freeze soup know the potatoes might break down a bit more than once they were frozen.
Best Instant Pot Supplies
Here are helpful Instant Pot supplies I have used to help set myself up for success when it comes to using my electric pressure cooker.
- Kitchen Scale- A kitchen scale is a must to have for so many recipes in order to have accurate measurements. This is something that is often overlooked in recipes.
- Meat Thermometer- Having a meat thermometer is essential. I have gone through so many 'inexpensive' thermometers that I finally invested in a heavy duty digital thermometer from BBQ guys. It was so worth it!
- Instant Pot Inner Pot - I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- Silicone Lid for Instant Pot- I'm not sure how I lived without this one. Having a silicone lid for my Instant Pot has made life so much easier. It is perfect for adding ingredients a day or two ahead of time.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners- If you are new to pressure cooking, this is a great ebook to get you started with basic recipes you will use over and over again.
Variations to Recipe
Now the beauty of this instant pot soup is the vegetables can be adjusted to what you have on hand.
So say you don’t have potatoes, you can leave them out, I have even tossed the pasta in a few times to replace the pasta so there is still a filling starch.
Mix and match and raid your fridge and freezer for what you have on hand to toss in.
Want more easy pressure cooker recipe
- Beef Enchilada Hamburger Helper Casserole | Cheesy, Tex-Mex flavored beef enchilada casserole that is loaded with flavor!
- Hawaiian Chicken | Sweet and savory collides in this chicken recipe. Serve over a bed of rice and ring that dinner bell.
- Korean Ground Beef | Better than takeout and full of flavors that tickle your taste buds!
Meal Prep With Soup
Another thing to consider is meal prepping a few days with leftover soup. This makes an awesome lunch that you can heat up and enjoy, on a cold day.
I have even heated up soup and poured in a thermos for packing lunches while on the go.
Give this soup a whirl and let me know what you think. It is loaded with flavor, feeds a crowd and is affordable!
It is called poor man’s soup because it is a simple recipe with affordable ingredients. You can use freezer ingredients or fresh produce. Add in some ground beef for added protein and dive in.
Yes, you are welcome to use ground turkey, pork, or even chicken! I prefer ground beef as it adds a bit more flavor than the leaner meats.
But you are welcome to use what you have on hand. Even a breakfast sausage could be great to add.
Quick releasing the Instant Pot is when you push off the pressure cooker. Natural release is where you allow your pressure cooker to depressurize on its own. Quick release means you make the steam push out of the valve.
Coming to pressure can take anywhere from 5 minutes up to 20 minutes. It all depends on how full your pressure cooker is, and what ingredients are used. If you cook say a frozen roast it will take a lot longer to come to pressure, compared to a soup.
Russets and Yukon Golds are two varieties of potatoes I recommend the most. Russets hold up really well as they cook. Giving you a tender and delicious potato that flavors the dish and holds its shape.
More of Our Latest Recipes
- How Many Ounces Are in a Barrel of Beer?
- Is Oatmeal Good for Upset Stomach? Uncovering Soothing Foods for Digestive Woes
- Crockpot Guinness Beer Pot Roast
- 15 Bean Soup Crockpot Recipe
- Can You Put Frozen Ground Turkey in Crock Pot: Safe Cooking Tips Revealed
Supplies for the Best Hamburger Soup Recipe
Ingredients Used to Make Instant Pot Ground Beef and Vegetable Soup
- Turn Instant Pot onto saute mode and brown the ground beef. Drain grease from beef and then return the beef to the Instant Pot.
- Add in onions and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in remaining ingredients.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and turn pressure valve to sealing.
- Set for a high pressure time of 6 minutes.
- Allow for a quick pressure release.
- Can my dog have Hamburger Soup? Due to the ingredients included in this recipe, it is not recommended that you share it with your dog. Garlic and onion are toxic ingredients for dogs. Also, spicy and hot flavors can affect your four-legged friend's stomach.
- Can my cat have Ham and Potato Soup? This soup is not ideal for your cat, especially because of onion, garlic, and hot sauce, and spicy ingredients. This is because your cat's system is too delicate, and any of these ingredients could harm your beloved pet.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Duo Crisp 11 in 1, Electric Pressure Cooker with Air Fryer, Roast, Bake, Dehydrate, Slow Cook, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
Wooden Spoons for Cooking,Nonstick Kitchen Utensil Set,Wooden Spoons Cooking Utensil Set Non Scratch Natural Teak Wooden Utensils for Cooking(Teak 8 Pack)
Modern Silicone Spoon Rests (Set of 3) | Kitchen Utensil Holders | Quality Material | BPA Free | Counter Spatula Holder | Stovetop Spoon Rest
ZYLISS Susi 3 Garlic Press "No Need To Peel" - Built in Cleaner - Crusher, Mincer and Peeler, Cast Aluminum
Latent Epicure Battery Operated Salt and Pepper Grinder Set (Pack of 2 Mills) - Complimentary Mill Rest | Bright Light | Adjustable Coarseness |
Amount Per Serving Calories 316Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 50mgSodium 676mgCarbohydrates 33gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 5gSugar 4gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 22g
Jessica McCoy is a seasoned food blogger with 14+ years of experience in the industry. As a self-taught home cook, she enjoys creating and finetuning easy recipes that are fool proof and simple for anyone to make. Her expertise is in all things kitchen: cooking tips, air fryer recipes, Instant Pot and other pressure cooking recipes, and slow cooker recipes. Jessica was the previous owner of AllSheCooks, where she focused on easy every day recipes including budget friendly dinner recipes and desserts.
Sharing is caring!