Green beans are a dinnertime mainstay: they pair well with just about any entrée, and are a core ingredient in countless casseroles recipes. Available year-round and so quick and simple to prepare, they are at the top of the list of all-time favorite side dishes. And if you’re looking for a truly easy, yet totally delicious way to prepare them, then this Instant Pot Green Beans Recipe is for you!
One of the things that makes the Instant Pot so great is how it infuses foods with a ton of flavor in such a short amount of time. We also love it so much because we can put all our ingredients in the pot, step away, and let it do the cooking for us.
For those really busy days, try making a complete dinner entirely with the Instant Pot! Serve this Instant Pot Green Beans Recipe with our delicious Instant Pot Swiss Steak. Talk about a one-pot wonder!
Are Green Beans Really Beans?
In a word, yes. Green beans are simply the unripe, young pods of various varieties of the common bean. Green beans are also known as French beans and string beans.
There are two main types of green beans: “bush” (or “dwarf”) beans and “pole” (or “climbing”) beans. Bush beans are short plants, growing to not more than 2 feet in height, often without requiring supports. They generally reach maturity and produce all of their fruit in a relatively short period of time, making bush beans the type that are most often grown on commercial farms. Pole beans have a climbing habit and produce a twisting vine, which must be supported by poles .
Health Benefits of Green Beans
Green beans have a very high fiber content, and they also provide some of your daily protein requirements. They are a great source of essential vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin A, C, K, B6, folic acid, calcium, silicon, iron, manganese, potassium, and copper.
Instant Pot Green Beans Recipe Modifications
Don’t have any fresh green beans on-hand? Not to worry; you can easily use frozen green beans in this recipe! All that’s required is adding another 1-2 minutes to your total cooking time.
Want to make a vegetarian version of Instant Pot Green Beans? Just eliminate the ham hock, and replace the chicken bouillon and water with 3 cups of vegetable stock. Go even further and make this a vegan recipe by swapping the butter for a vegan-friendly version, such as Earth Balance, or using coconut oil instead.
More Great Instant Pot Recipes
If you love this Instant Pot Green Beans recipe, then you’ll want to try these other tasty and easy Instant Pot side dish delights:
Interested in using your Instant Pot for making quick and delicious breakfasts? Then you’ve got to check out our list of The 8 Best Instant Pot Oatmeal Recipes!
Great Supplies to Have for Your Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Inner Pot – I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in really handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- Silicone Lid for Instant Pot– I’m not sure how I lived without this one. Having a silicone lid for my Instant Pot has made life so much easier. It is perfect for adding ingredients a day or two ahead of time.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners– If you are new to pressure cooking, this is a great ebook to get you started with basic recipes you will use over and over again.
How To Make Instant Pot Green Beans
Add all ingredients to inner pot, or to an oven-safe casserole dish that fits in the Instant Pot on top of the trivet.
Turn pressure valve to sealed, and set manual pressure on high for 4 minutes.
Perform a quick release when pressure time has finished.
Serve and enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe? Don’t forget to Rate This Recipe below!
- 4 cups fresh green beans, washed and ends snapped off
- 1 ham hock
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Add all ingredients to inner pot, or to an oven-safe casserole dish that fits in the
- Instant Pot on top of the trivet.
- Turn pressure valve to sealing and set manual pressure on high for 4 minutes.
- Do a quick release when pressure time has finished.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 715mgCarbohydrates: 8gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 6g