This simple Instant Pot Goulash recipe will have you coming back for seconds. The flavorful blend of seasonings with ground beef, noodles, onions, and potatoes make up this American goulash recipe.
Using your Instant Pot to make this easy goulash recipe will have you serving dinner quickly.
What is American Goulash?
The main ingredients of American goulash are beef, pasta, paprika, and tomatoes. Goulash is a comfort food.
Comfort food is generally something that warms your bones and provides a little nostalgia.
Think about the old days when your grandmother or great-grandmother was in the kitchen whipping up a homemade recipe to keep her family warm.
American goulash is simply referred to as goulash in the south and the Midwestern United States but has been known to be called slumgullion by some.
What is the difference between goulash and spaghetti?
American goulash is not the same as goulash around the world. As an example, if you opt to eat a Hungarian style goulash you’ll find that this simple goulash is made with chunks of meat, paprika, and peppers blended with spices to create a chunky soup texture.
If you’re wondering what is the difference between goulash and spaghetti then you need to take a look at the photos.
Spaghetti is made with entirely different pasta and involves a tomato-based sauce that’s seasoned and placed on top of the straight pasta.
Goulash is made with noodles or elbow pasta and combined other ingredients like potatoes, onions, and ground beef with seasonings to be enjoyed much like a casserole.
Having high quality Paprika is a must to get the full affect of this recipe. It definitely takes the flavor up a notch. I love using this set of two Hungarian paprika spices because it comes with one that is hot and one that is sweeter.
Goulash is a staple for the winter season. This simple Instant Pot recipe is a quick go-to idea when I’m not sure what to cook or have little ingredients on hand.
This goulash recipe calls for ingredients that most of us have in the home.
This recipe is not only a fabulous comfort food for the winter season, but it’s a budget-friendly dinner idea to serve your family.
These simple ingredients blended together to create your favorite goulash recipe will make everyone happy and it will only take 15 minutes to complete from start to finish.
Pin Instant Pot Goulash Recipe for Later
What do you eat with goulash?
I don’t usually serve anything with goulash, but you can serve many things with goulash. Some people enjoy a delicious side of garlic bread while others like a garden salad. Rosemary bread is also a good choice.
I think that you can eat anything with goulash that you desire, perhaps a roasted asparagus recipe will suit your fancy to sere alongside a bowl of this simple goulash recipe.
While Your Goulash is Cooking, Meal Plan for the Rest of the Week
- Instant Pot Chili Recipe- Best Award Winning Chili Recipe
- How to Make Fried Oreos with an Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid
- Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe for Instant Pot
- New England Clam Chowder Recipe Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Meatloaf – A Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
- Semi Homemade Pop Tarts Instant Pot
- Copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Creamer – Instant Pot Recipe
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- How to Make Chicken Chili in the Instant Pot
- Caramel Pecan Cheesecake – Instant Pot Cheesecake Recipe
How do I freeze goulash?
Before I dive into the recipe for goulash, it’s important that you know how to store this recipe.
If you want to make a large batch of this Instant Pot goulash then you’ll be happy to know that you can freeze goulash for up to 3 months! Simply place your batch of Instant Pot goulash into airtight freezer bags or containers after it’s cooled.
Then you can label the goulash packages with a date to ensure you heat these up for dinner before the three month storage time has passed.
How do I make Instant Pot Goulash?
You’ll find the recipe card below where the list of ingredients and instructions are easily printed to make goulash at home.
Using your Instant Pot this recipe requires only 15 minutes of your time, amazing right?!
The easiest way to make this simple goulash recipe is to gather your ingredients: ground beef, potatoes, onion, uncooked egg noodles, diced tomatoes, beef broth, and the listed seasonings.
From here you’ll saute the first three ingredients on the list in your Instant Pot until the ground beef is fully cooked. Add in the egg noodles, diced tomatoes, beef broth, and seasonings being sure your noodles are completely covered in liquid.
Place the lid back on your Instant Pot and allow your simple goulash recipe to cook on manual high pressure for 4 minutes.
You then add your tomato paste and blend it so that you have your final product – American Goulash!
Other Instant Pot Recipes with Pasta
Have you tried this recipe? Don’t forget to Rate This Recipe below!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 large Russet potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 ounces tomato paste, optional
- Add first three ingrediens to the inner pot of your Instant Pot and cook on saute mode until the hamburger has completely browned, stirring every couple of minutes.
- Add egg noodles, diced tomatoes, beef broth and seasonings. Push noodles down to make sure they are under the liquid.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the pressure valve to sealing. Set for a manual high pressure of 4 minutes.
When the cooking time has finished, allow for a quick release.
- Add tomato paste to the pot and stir until well combined. There shouldn’t be a need to heat additionally, but you can turn the pot on saute for a minute or two in needed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 910mgCarbohydrates: 53gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 25g
More of Our Latest Instant Pot Pasta Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Seafood Pasta Recipe
- Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Pasta Recipe
- Easy Instant Pot Spaghetti Recipe
- Instant Pot Tomato Gnocchi Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Lasagna Recipe
- Instant Pot Goulash Recipe
- Instant Pot Baked Ziti Recipe
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Ground Beef – Homemade Hamburger Helper Recipe
- Instant Pot Thai-Inspired Peanut Noodles