These Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes. They're not only creamy and delicious, but they're so simple to make as well.
There's just something satisfying as seeing a giant bowl of hearty mashed potatoes waiting for you to enjoy! Try these potatoes paired with our pork shoulder roast, or Instant Pot Chicken and Green Beans.
Table of contents
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Kitchen Supplies
- What type of potatoes works best for mashed potatoes?
- How do you make mashed potatoes creamy?
- How to Clean Your Instant Pot
- Topping Ideas for Mashed Potatoes
- Ingredients needed to make Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- What happens if the mashed potatoes are too dry?
- Instant Pot Mashed Potato Cooking Supplies
- How to Store Leftover Mashed Potatoes
If you like this simple mashed potato recipe, make certain to check out our Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes as well.
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Does anyone else just think of comfort food when it comes to this simple side dish? A giant mound of mashed potatoes on my plate sounds just about perfect.
This is why I never hesitate to make up these Instant Pot mashed garlic potatoes. The flavor and taste of these potatoes literally make these the best Instant Pot garlic mashed potatoes, ever.
Instant Pot Kitchen Supplies
- Instant Pot Inner Pot - I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in really handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- Silicone Lid for Instant Pot- I'm not sure how I lived without this one. Having a silicone lid for my Instant Pot has made life so much easier. It is perfect for adding ingredients a day or two ahead of time.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners- If you are new to pressure cooking, this is a great ebook to get you started with basic recipes you will use over and over again.
What type of potatoes works best for mashed potatoes?
You can really use any type of potatoes that you want. Some people prefer red potatoes while others prefer russets. I'm fine with either, just make certain that you clean and peel them before using them.
How do you make mashed potatoes creamy?
To get that creamy texture that we all love and adore, it all comes down to the cream and liquid that you're added. As long as you don't add too much, you'll create a nice texture that will be just what you're looking for.
How to Clean Your Instant Pot
Topping Ideas for Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes are amazing even without toppings, but let's be real, toppings can always make everything taste even better! Here are some great topping ideas for your mashed potatoes:
- Sour Cream
- Cottage Cheese
- Nacho Cheese
- Shredded Cheese
And my list could literally go on forever. This is because potatoes literally go perfectly with just about anything at all!
Ingredients needed to make Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh rosemary leaves
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and black pepper
- Heavy cream
- Unsalted butter
What happens if the mashed potatoes are too dry?
If your mashed potatoes are too dry, you can easily fix that. Just add in a bit more heavy cream or broth and it should add in all the liquid that you need.
Just be certain that you're adding it in small spurts though as you don't want to over pour. You can always add in more as you need to but once you add too much, that's when you're going to be in trouble.
Instant Pot Mashed Potato Cooking Supplies
- Strainer | Use this strainer to rinse vegetables, drain noodles and so much more. We also use it to rinse rice, because it has fine holes that rice grains won't slip through.
- White Instant Pot Duo | This Instant Pot is classy and beautiful. It is an incredible functional pressure cooker and looks great on the countertop.
- KitchenAid immersion blender | Blend mashed potatoes, soups, and more right in the pressure cooker with an immersion blender. We've used a KitchenAid immersion blender for years.
How to Store Leftover Mashed Potatoes
Just as this recipe is super simple to cook, it's even easier to store for later. Just put the leftover garlic mashed potatoes into a glass meal prep freezer containers resealable container and store it in the fridge.
Then when you're ready to eat, all you have to do is reheat and enjoy. Add in a little more cream or broth to make it creamy again and top it with some fresh butter.