Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Easy to cook and incredibly delicious, these instant pot garlic mashed potatoes might just become your next favorite side!
With just 10 minutes of prep time, here’s a kickass creamy and ridiculously delicious side recipe you just can’t go wrong with.
Mashed potatoes are so versatile, and are the perfect side to stick to no matter what you make- whether at home or for that little dinner party you’re hosting.
This one has some subtle garlicky notes in there with a super flavorful and buttery aftertaste you just can’t go wrong with.
Ready to get started? Here’s everything you need to know beforehand.
New to cooking with a pressure cooker? Try out the Be the Boss of Your Instant Pot Video Course! It’ll help take the pressure off and ease you into cooking with your Instant Pot.
Do I Really Need to Peel & Cut the Potatoes Before Boiling Them?
It actually depends totally on you- there’s no difference between peeling the potatoes before boiling them or afterwards.
You also don’t necessarily need to cut them beforehand as well. Cutting them into small chunks just helps lessen its cooking time in the instant pot.
Which Potatoes are Best for Garlic Mashed Potatoes?
Yukon gold and russet potatoes are both the best ones to opt for when it comes to making mashed potatoes.
Both of these varieties have the most creamy and buttery texture and flavor, and while they might be just a teeny bit pricey, they are totally worth it.
You can also do a mix of both if you’re feeling ambitious.
More Instant Pot Side Dishes
Should I Wait For the Potatoes to Cool Down?
While most good recipes need one key ingredient- patience, this is not one of those. Infact, with mashed potatoes, you have to be quick.
Once your potatoes are going boiling, don’t wait for them to cool down before you throw in the other ingredients. Begin work immediately.
That way, all the delicious flavors can stay sealed in and you’ll get that perfect creamy texture to your dish as well.
Also remember that the potatoes won’t be able to absorb all the liquid at once, so don’t add it all together. Keep adding the stock little by little until you reach the consistency you prefer.
Another cool tip to make sure your mashed potatoes are creamy is to heat the cream and milk before you add them into the potato mixture. This way, it will be more easily absorbed into the potatoes.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
You might already be preparing these garlic mashed potatoes as a side to one or more of your dishes, but if you’re still on the hunt for some inspiration, or haven’t finalized anything yet, here are some ideas to get you started.
- Roast beef or literally any other kind of meat
- Grilled chicken or any other white meat
- Grilled or fried fish
- Corned beef
- Stews with any kind of meat
- Grilled or steamed veggies
Have you tried this recipe? Don’t forget to Rate This Recipe below!
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Peel and dice potatoes.
- Place diced potatoes into instant pot. Pour in chicken broth.
- Close instant pot by locking the lid in place. Make sure the steam valve is closed. Press the steam button and set it on this function for 7 minutes.
- Using a towel or hot pad, release the steam valve manually.
- Once the steam pressure has completely released, turn the lid to open the instant pot.
- Drain the chicken stock from the instant pot using a colander over a bowl to save stock for later.
- Pour in the remaining ingredients: butter, milk, sour cream, garlic, chopped parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Mash with potato masher until desired consistency is reached.
- If you desire to thin the mashed potatoes more, add chicken stock little by little as needed.
- Serve mashed potatoes with more butter and parsley as desired for your enjoyment.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 657mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g
More Tasty Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Meatloaf – A Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
- Semi Homemade Pop Tarts Instant Pot
- Copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Creamer – Instant Pot Recipe
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- How to Make Chicken Chili in the Instant Pot
- Caramel Pecan Cheesecake – Instant Pot Cheesecake Recipe
- Instant Pot Cream of Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Banana Bread without a Pan
- Peach Iced Tea – Instant Pot Iced Tea
- Instant Pot Cherry BBQ Sauce
- Instant Pot Carnitas Recipe – a Pressure Cooker Dinner
- Pumpkin Cake with Caramel – Instant Pot Cake Recipe
- Instant Pot Chinese BBQ Pork Recipe
- Instant Pot Meatloaf Bites- Egg Bites Meatloaf Recipe
- How to Make Instant Pot Vanilla Extract