Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. I might receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Craving for some Thai food? Here’s a super easy instant pot chicken Thai soup recipe you can get started on right away.
Whether you’re craving for a comforting and light meal option or are just looking to experiment in the kitchen, this easy Thai soup recipe is perfect!
You’ll need just a handful of Thai food essentials, your instant pot and you’re pretty much done and sorted. Ready to go ahead and give it a shot? Here’s what you need to know beforehand!
I Don’t Have Thai Red Curry Paste. Can I Still Make This?
Guess what? You actually can! Even if you don’t have Thai red curry paste, or the time to go and get it from your local store, you can still enjoy this delicious soup for dinner tonight.
All you need is a few extra minutes of prep time.
Start by roasting some aromatics in the oven- chopped up galangal or ginger, loads of garlic and shallots, and once they’re done, pulse them together in a food processor with some curry powder, ground coriander, lemongrass paste, loads of cilantro leaves, salt and turmeric.
On the side, soak some chilli peppers in some water to rehydrate them, and then add them to the mixture and process again until the mixture is slightly grainy but uniform.
And that’s it- your simple homemade curry paste is ready. If you don’t want to go through this extra long step, simply using some basic curry powder can do the job too.
Can I Make the Thai Soup Recipe Healthier?
Yes, you definitely can! In fact, by simply adding in some more veggies, you can make the soup a great healthy meal choice, especially if you’re trying to watch your weight.
Mushrooms are already a part of this soup, and if you want, you could also add in some other veggies like baby corn, bok choy, red bell peppers, broccoli, kohlrabi, sweet potatoes and carrots.
They will not just add in a nice nutritional punch to your soup, but will also lend it an element of crunch that you will enjoy.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
So you loved making the soup, and are planning to whip it up again for some guests coming over, or are just looking to have a full, hearty meal.
Whatever it is, here are some excellent accompaniments to go along with it, and some delicious foods to serve the soup with.
- A salad with julienned veggies and a light dressing.
- Green papaya salad with spicy dressing
- Saucy stir fried green beans
- Sweet and spicy fried rice with pineapple
- Refreshing cucumber and onion salad
- Peanut slaw
- Spiralized papaya salad
- Coconut rice
- Thai green/red curry
- Watermelon salad with herbs
- Spicy thai noodles
Thai Chicken Soup Recipe Supplies and Special Ingredients
- Ladle | This ladle is perfect for soup or gravy and stands up, making it easy to handle.
- Nonstick inner pot | Use a nonstick inner pot to have an extra inner pot on hand and one that makes cleanup easier.
- Glass storage containers | These storage containers are perfect for saving soup for lunch.
- Lemongrass paste | This paste is a specialty ingredient that can be ordered through the link on Amazon.
- Ginger paste | Ginger is used in many Asian-inspired recipes.
- Fish sauce | Fish sauce is an ingredient used in many types of recipes for flavoring.
- Thai red curry paste | Curry paste is like a tomato paste infused with curry seasonings.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Broccoli Soup | A family favorite soup recipe that is a cream soup recipe.
- Chicken Tortilla Soup | Top this soup with tortilla chips, sour cream and avocado.
- Stuffed Pepper Soup | Think of this as an unstuffed pepper soup and so much easier to make than stuffed pepper recipes.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 2 red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 8 ounces sliced Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 2 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- Fresh cilantro or Thai basil, to garnish
- Press the sauté button on your Instant Pot.
- Add in the oil and let that heat for a minute. Then add in the chicken, red peppers, and onions. Sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Toss in the mushrooms, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Then, add add in the next six ingredients and allow to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the broth a little at a time, making sure to scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot to fully deglaze the bottom of the pot and prevent any burning.
- Close the lid, seal the pressure valve, and set on manual high pressure time of 4 minutes.
- When the cooking time finishes, allow for a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, and then release any remaining pressure with a quick pressure release.
- Carefully remove the Instant Pot lid. Add in the coconut milk and lime juice, and then stir to combine. Dish up the soup and garnish with either Thai basil or cilantro.
This delicious chicken thighs recipes uses a variety of special ingredients to make a fragrant and flavorful Thai Chicken Soup that is just as good as any restaurant Thai soup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 531Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 854mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 8gSugar: 28gProtein: 32g