Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. I might receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
This Instant Pot Chicken Thighs and Potatoes just screams comfort food. One bite of this and you're going to be ready to gobble the rest down and snuggle up by the fire.
The taste and flavor of this simple chicken recipe are certain to be a hit.
Instant Pot Chicken Thighs and Potatoes
People always talk about steak and potatoes going together perfectly…but they've obviously never heard about chicken thighs and potatoes as well.
This recipe is so simple because the Instant Pot does all the work and it's a really simple way to make a hearty meal for the family, too.
I love making this dish when I know we have a super busy night and I need something delicious and fast.
Tips for Cooking Chicken Thighs in the Instant Pot
When cooking this simple recipe, there is actually no need to cook the chicken entirely all the way through. Due to the rest of the recipe, it'll get cooked entirely throughout the rest of the process.
Be certain to get low sodium chicken broth if you're trying to cut down on your salt intake. The recipe can use either one and it's an easy substitution that won't affect the flavor.
Do you have to peel the potatoes for this recipe?
You don't. You can if you want, but I never do. Just make certain that you clean them well and give them a good scrub if you're not going to clean them.
That way you don't have to worry about any of the dirt and grime.
Instant Pot Supplies
- Instant Pot Inner Pot – I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in really handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- Silicone Lid for Instant Pot– I'm not sure how I lived without this one. Having a silicone lid for my Instant Pot has made life so much easier. It is perfect for adding ingredients a day or two ahead of time.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners– If you are new to pressure cooking, this is a great ebook to get you started with basic recipes you will use over and over again.
Instant Pot Chicken Recipes You'll Love
- Chicken Thighs Thai Soup | Easy and delicious Asian-inspired chicken soup using chicken thighs.
- Salsa Chicken Tacos | Make this salsa chicken with either chicken thighs or chicken breast meat. Either way, this is a delicious recipe that is easy to make.
- Cajun Chicken Pasta | Whip up this chicken pasta recipe that is flavored with Cajun seasonings.
More Kitchen Supplies Used with This Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Wooden spoons | An absolute kitchen essential and something that is used daily in our house.
- Cheese grater | Grate fresh Parmesan cheese for this recipe instead of buying pre-grated cheese. Freshly grated cheese is always better!
- Citrus zester | This citrus zester is such a great tool to have on hand when working with recipes that have orange, lemon, or lime zest.
- Garlic press with cleaning tool | Freshly pressed minced garlic is easy to do with this garlic press. This garlic press includes a cleaning tool, which you absolutely need to use to clean the garlic press completely. This set is a must-have.
What type of potatoes should you use for this recipe?
You can really use whatever type of potatoes that you want. Small red potatoes are always a good choice because they're bite-sized and flavorful.
You should even consider trying this recipe with sweet potatoes at some point in time, too.
Because anytime you can do a potato recipe in the Instant Pot, it's always a good idea.
How do you reheat potatoes?
Reheating potatoes isn't hard but there is a bit of science to it. You're going to want to reheat low and slow to retain the texture and flavor.
You might be tempted to pop them in the microwave to reheat and while you can do that, it might overcook them and cause them to turn mushy on the inside.
Can you use other meat besides chicken thighs in this recipe?
You can. This is what makes this recipe so great. You have the flexibility to use whatever type of chicken you want.
I like chicken thighs because of the flavor but I'm also understanding that sometimes you have to use up whatever chicken you have in your freezer.
The main thing to keep in mind is that no matter what type of chicken you use, just be certain to follow the steps on the recipe card listed below.
This will ensure that the chicken is the most flavorful and moist as possible and cooked perfectly, too. You'll be happy with any type of meat that you use.
Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
- 2 - 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 to 3 pounds potatoes cut into large, equal pieces (I used red and russet.)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on all sides of the chicken thighs.
- Put the pressure cooker on sauté until hot. Add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Put the chicken in and brown on both sides. Remove and keep warm.
- Deglaze the bottom using chicken stock and a wooden spoon. Scrape to remove pieces.
- Put the chicken back in, placing around the edges.
- Grab a medium bowl and toss the potatoes with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Once done, put them in the pressure cooker and put over the chicken.
- Seal the lid and set the valve to sealing.
- Put the pressure cooker on manual or pressure cook for 15 minutes and then switch the valve to venting for quick pressure release once the time is done.
- Serve and top with Parmesan cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 609Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 281mgSodium: 770mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 62g