Freshly squeezed lemon juice and cracked black pepper can turn any regular dish into a zesty, bold fare. Our Instant Pot Chicken Piccata embodies both with an unbeatable sweet cream butter dredge that'll have you wanting to lick the plate clean!
Nothing makes the mouth water more than well-seasoned meats.
In our case, well-seasoned chicken.
Looking for more Instant Pot Chicken recipes, see our complete list of Chicken recipes.
Flattened down into thin medallion-sized patties (which is where the Italian word, piccata, comes into play), the chicken is seasoned and later dredged in flour before finally being browned and layered under a creamy buttered broth.
Table of contents
This dish is Italian-inspired, meaning the traditional version of Italian piccata incorporates veal as the meat of choice with lots and lots of pasta.
Veal can be a far stretch for those on a tight budget, however, our chicken version is just as delicious as the traditional one!
And speaking of Italian tradition, ample amounts of capers are tossed in, giving this Instant Pot Chicken Piccata dish its authentic salty flavor.
- Chicken breast
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Cracked blacked pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- Spaghetti noodles
- Unsalted sweet cream Butter
- 1 ¼ cup Chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
Additional Italian inspired recipes
- Pasta Carbonara Instant Pot Spaghetti |a bacon pasta recipe easily paired with a crispy green salad, breadsticks or even garlic bread.
- Instant Pot Tomato Chicken Penne Pasta |one of our FAVORITE easy dinner recipes.
- Baked Ziti |Italian sausage, ziti pasta, ricotta cheese, spaghetti sauce and more come together for the ultimate baked ziti with ricotta.
- Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup | a homemade tomato soup with cheese filled tortellini in every bite.
- Instant Pot Tomato Gnocchi Soup | the Instant Pot infuses the flavors for this fantastic favorite soup but cuts the cooking way down.
- Orzo & Italian Sausage Easy Stuffed Peppers | with orange and yellow peppers filled with Italian sausage and orzo, this recipe is amazingly delicious and pretty to look at!
How To Make Chicken Piccata step-by-step
- Follow the back of the spaghetti box to cook the noodles, drain and set aside.
- Season the chicken breast with the salt and pepper.
- Using a medium bowl, combined the flour, oregano, basil and parmesan cheese.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture on both sides, set aside.
- Using your instant pot, add the 3 tbsp olive oil into your pot and turn on saute mode.
- Once your instant pot is hot, place one chicken into the pot at a time.
- Brown the chicken to a nice crispy texture, remove and set aside.
- Add the chicken broth to deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Add the butter, chicken breast, lemon juice and capers back into the pot.
- Place the lid on top, seal the valve and set manual high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Allow to natural release for 5 minutes then release the pressure.
- Remove the chicken and turn the pot onto saute mode.
- Whisk in the water and cornstarch.
- Allow to cook for 2 minutes to thicken.
- Scoop some pasta onto a plate, place a chicken on top of the pasta and spoon some sauce on top.
How to store Chicken Piccata
Store Chicken Piccata inside a freezer stable container for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Using Cornstarch in Instant Pot
In general, cornstarch is used as a thickener to many dishes and desserts. When it comes to Chicken Piccata, the cornstarch helps to thicken the flour, seasonings, and parmesan cheese mixture with the lemon juice and butter from the chicken breast. It makes the 'sauce' less soupy.
More delicious chicken recipes like this Chicken Piccata recipe
- Sous Vide Chicken Breast | The added flavors of heirloom tomatoes & fresh mozzarella makes this simple chicken recipe wickedly good.
- Cream Cheese Chicken Crescent Rolls | A simple and easy side recipe that can double up as a quick dinner on days when you don’t want to put in a lot of effort.
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings and Sticky Sauce | These wings are by far the best you’ll ever taste!
- Copycat Panda Express Black Pepper Chicken | An excellent option to try when you’re craving Chinese takeout.
You definitely can, just make sure you remove the basket from the base every 2-3 minutes to stir the cheese. This will prevent it from sticking to the aluminum foil or baking sheet and keeps it smooth.
The cornstarch helps to thicken the sauce. It is not necessarily needed but helps. Should you not want to use cornstarch, then add in a bit more flour as flour can also be used as a thickening agent as well.