Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. I might receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Craving a hearty meal with a ton of delicious flavor? It's time to make this Instant Pot Chicken Breast and Rice recipe. Tender chicken and just a few minutes of time make this one of the best Instant Pot recipes, ever.
When you're craving chicken and comfort food, add this one to your weekly meal planning menu. Each bite is crazy good and will have you coming back for more.
Don't just take my word for it. This chicken recipe is a hit with the kids, too. I'm never fearful of them not liking dinner when this is the option presented. In fact, most times they're coming back for seconds!
This simple Instant Pot chicken recipe is so easy to make, you're going to wonder what's taken you so long in the first place.
Instant Pot Chicken Breast and Rice
You know that we're a big fan of chicken recipes around here. Here are some of our other favorite Instant Pot chicken dishes.
- Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings with Sticky Sauce
- Instant Pot Hawaiian Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Casserole with Rice
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Leek Soup
- more Chicken recipes
Tips for Cooking Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
You'll see that you can use frozen vegetables and even frozen chicken in this recipe as well. The Instant Pot does a great job of cooking food quickly, even when it's frozen.
If you're not wanting to add in the rice, you can omit that as well. It's a great texture addition to this recipe but you can easily add in more veggies instead.
What toppings go well with this easy chicken and rice in the Instant Pot recipe?
The flavor is already great with this recipe but there are a few items that you can easily add.
Topping this dish with fresh cilantro or chives is always a good addition. You can also add some salsa, too.
And if you're anything like me, shredded cheese can be a fun choice as well.
Instant Pot Supplies
- Instant Pot Inner Pot – I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in really handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- Silicone Lid for Instant Pot– I'm not sure how I lived without this one. Having a silicone lid for my Instant Pot has made life so much easier. It is perfect for adding ingredients a day or two ahead of time.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners– If you are new to pressure cooking, this is a great ebook to get you started with basic recipes you will use over and over again.
- Wooden spoons– A kitchen essential that you can use every day. Wooden spoons are also very durable and will last a long time.
- Tongs– We use tongs for so many things: salads, meat, cooking out, and so much more.
- Reusable chopsticks– We love using these chopsticks for all our rice and noodle recipes.
What frozen veggies can you add to this Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe?
Honestly, anything that you want. Broccoli, corn, and onions are always a big hit but you can add more!
Mushrooms, cauliflower, green beans, and even some frozen spinach can add a lot of great flavor and texture, too.
This chicken recipe gives you the option to get more veggies into your child's daily diet with ease.
Can you freeze chicken and rice for later?
This is a bit tricky. While you can easily freeze the chicken portion without worry, freezing rice isn't always the best plan. This is because there's a high probability that it's going to dry out and not taste the best once you try to reheat for later.
This doesn't mean that you can't do it but it does mean that you have to be aware that there's the possibility that when it's reheated, the rice is going to be a bit harder in texture.
Can brown rice be used in this recipe instead of white rice?
Yes, you can swap out for brown rice. Instant Pot Chicken with Brown Rice is a great recipe, too! And since you just have to swap out the types of rice and let the Instant Pot do the work, it's a simple way to create another tasty dish as well.
Instant Pot chicken and rice Casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups white rice
- Start by seasoning the chicken breasts on both sides using salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Turn on the sauté mode and heat until “hot.” Once that is done, it's time to add in the butter, chicken, and onion. You're going to want to cook until the onion until it is soft and the chicken is browned on both sides. This will take about 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot with a wooden spoon. This will remove any food that is stuck to the bottom. Cancel the sauté mode. Stir in the rest of the salt, mixed vegetables, and rice.
- Put the lid back on the pressure cooker and set the valve to sealing. Put it on "manual" or "pressure cook" for a time of 10 minutes. Quick-release the pressure once the cycle is done cooking.
- Take two forks and shred the chicken. Once done, add in the chicken with rice and fluff the rice with a fork.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 1040mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 16g