Instant Pot Chicken and Green Beans is a simple and quick diced chicken and fresh green beans recipe. Seasoned chicken tenderloins, fresh green beans, all pressure cooked in your Instant Pot in just 10 minutes of cook time.
You can also make this into a Ninja Foodi recipe. Just use the pressure cooker lid that is on your Ninja Foodi. A one pot chicken recipe that kids and adults can enjoy.
If you are trying to watch what you eat, this is a healthy chicken and vegetable recipe to use for dinner, meal prepping for lunches, and more. Of course, you could also serve this with Instant Pot Sesame White Rice or some Instant Pot Mashed Red Potatoes.
Table of contents
Ingredients For Chicken and Green Beans
- Chicken - I used tenderloins but you can use boneless chicken thighs, white meat, etc.
- Fresh String Beans - fresh beans are important, as canned will turn to mush.
- Chicken Stock - you could use this chicken bone stock
- Soy Sauce
- Chile Paste
- Lime Juice
- Garlic and Ginger
- Shaoxing wine
How to Make Chicken and Green Beans
Full directions for this chicken and beans recipe is in the printable recipe card below.
Start by mixing up your sauce with a silicone whisk. You will add your wine, soy sauce, agave, chicken stock, chili paste, and Sriracha in a bowl. Whisk till combined.
Toss oil in your Instant Pot (this is the Instant Pot I use) and turn to saute, add in your garlic and onions and cook until fragrant and softened. Toss in the ginger as well. Cook green beans in there for 4 minutes. I like to use a ceramic non-stick inner pot so I don't have to worry about food sticking.
Remove the green beans and mixture and place on a plate and set aside.
Season your chicken, dice, and cook 3-4 minutes searing. Add vegetables back in with the chicken.
Pour in the sauce, place the lid on, and pressure cook manual high pressure for 2 minutes.
Open the lid, stir, and toss in basil and stir. Let it cool a bit then serve up. If you're making another recipe in a second inner pot, remove the inner pot and cover it with a silicone lid for the Instant Pot to keep it warm.
Pro-tip: Don't forget to change out your silicone sealing ring every few months. A lot of people like to have 2 on hand and use one for sweet foods and one for savory.
Variations To Recipe
- If you don't have fresh green beans you can use frozen. I like to just toss them in at the end of cooking, mix and serve. You can sear the green beans with the onions and garlic for added flavor, and then leave them out as you pressure cook.
- Chicken thighs or other cuts of boneless chicken work.
- If you want to use a bone-in chicken you will need to adjust the cooking time to ensure the chicken fully cooks. You would then need to leave beans out till the end or they will turn to mush.
- I enjoy this lemon garlic chicken recipe, but if you want swap out ingredients to adjust what you want.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
How to Pick Fresh Green Beans
- Brightly green color without brown blemishes
- Look to ensure no soft spots or bruising on the beans.
- 4-7 inches is a great length on beans for prime flavor
- Firm texture
- If you snap an end off the bean you will hear the crisp snap of being a fresh bean
May-September is the prime time to buy fresh green beans at the market. But, you can buy green beans all year round, or almost year-round depending on where you live.
Do you cut the ends off green beans?
It is recommended to cut the ends off your fresh green beans. You can use a knife or snap them off. You will find the ends of fresh green beans tend to be woody in texture.
What to Serve With?
I like this recipe with rice or potatoes. A tasty baked potato is a great idea, and sweet potatoes taste great with this chicken and green beans recipe too. If you don't mind serving two meat dishes, this Country Fried Steak is also a delicious compliment.