These are the best cheesy potatoes you’ll ever try! My instant pot cheesy potatoes are a yummy blend of onion, potatoes, shredded cheese, breadcrumbs, sour cream, and seasonings.
Within just 15 minutes you’ll be biting into the best bowl of homemade potatoes you’ve ever had.
Also known as funeral potatoes, you can whip these instant pot cheesy potatoes up to bring to your next family gathering. The delicious blend of seasoned potatoes smothered in sour cream and cheddar cheese will have everyone begging for more.
Why do they call them funeral potatoes?
As the name suggests, funeral potatoes are usually a potato casserole type of dish that’s often brought to a funeral. These instant pot cheesy potatoes are the ultimate comfort food to help anyone suffering from grief.
Generally speaking, funeral potatoes will usually be served warm during a funeral or pot luck gathering. These cheesy potatoes will bring you comfort whether you’re bringing them to a funeral, another family event, or serving them at home.
How do you shred potatoes?
You’ll need 8 cups of shredded potatoes to make these instant pot cheesy potatoes. You’ll want to rinse your potatoes and then peel the skin off of your potatoes.
From there, you’ll grab a cheese grater and grate your potatoes over a plate or bowl so that the shredded potato pieces fall onto a clean surface.
Once you’ve shredded all 8 potatoes, you’ll put them into the steamer basket in your instant pot to start making instant pot cheesy potatoes.
More Easy Dinner Recipes for Your Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Chicken Curry Recipe
- Instant Pot Beefy Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Meatballs and Meatball Sliders
- and the rest of our Instant Pot Easy Dinner Recipes
Can you freeze a dish with sour cream in it?
Yes, you can freeze funeral potatoes. You don’t have to cook your funeral potatoes beforehand. Simply gather the ingredients, mix them together as instructed and store in an airtight container in your freezer.
Thaw, and then cook in the Instant Pot following the Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes recipe.
Since this recipe is made using the instant pot and is complete in half an hour, the need to store the funeral potatoes ahead of time is truly an unnecessary step.
You can make the prep even faster by using frozen hash brown potatoes instead of grating your own potatoes.
How do you reheat funeral potatoes?
If you’re only reheating a small bowl of funeral potatoes you can reheat your instant pot cheesy potatoes in a microwave-safe contain for 30 seconds at a time until completely warm.
You may place a casserole dish of funeral potatoes in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes for reheating larger portions of funeral potatoes.
You will need to broil the recipe for the final stage of preparing these instant pot cheesy potatoes for your next gathering. Make sure you have the necessary supplies and kitchen gadgets to complete this recipe.
I used an oven for the final broil, an instant pot, an instant pot steamer basket, a small baking dish, and a spoon for serving. Make sure you read through the full set of instructions so that you have everything you need to make these instant pot cheesy potatoes.
How do I Make Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes?
You’ll need unsalted butter, chopped red onion, minced garlic cloves, broth, potatoes, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper.
Gather the ingredients and print my recipe card so you can learn how to make instant pot cheesy potatoes today.
Have you tried this recipe? Don’t forget to Rate This Recipe below. While you’re at it, share a picture on Instagram with #apressurecookerrecipe so we can see how your recipe turned out!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups shredded potatoes (to keep the potatoes fresh while shredding, let sit in water with a couple of teaspoons of citric acid while waiting to shred, and then again after shredding)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- Turn Instant Pot on to saute mode and saute the onions and garlic together with butter for 1-2 minutes while stirring.
Add in the broth and seasonings.
- Add shredded potatoes to an Instant Pot steamer basket and set this on top of the onions and broth. The will prevent sticking to the pot.
- Close the instant pot lid and turn pressure valve to seal. Cook on manual high pressure for 1 minute.
- Allow for a quick pressure release and then add in the sour cream and cheese and dump the potatoes into the mixture. Stir it all together.
- Transfer to a small baking dish (8 inch square or similar) and top with bread crumbs.
- Turn on oven broiler on low. Broil on a low oven rack for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 1167mg Carbohydrates: 52g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 14g