Instant Pot Carnitas is going to transform your dinner menu. Shredded, tender, and juicy pork carnitas that can be made in no time, in your Instant Pot! Such a flavorful and easy recipe to try next time you have a pork roast on hand.
Table of contents
- Instant Pot Carnitas
- What Cut of Pork Roast Is Used in Carnitas
- How Do You Get The Crispy Texture To Carnitas
- What Should I Serve With Pork Carnitas
- How Are Authentic Carnitas Made
- Can I Make Carnitas In Advance
- Best Way To Store Leftover Instant Pot Carnitas
- Best Way to Reheat Carnitas
- Can You Freeze Carnita Meat
- Essential Tools for Cooking Instant Pot Carnitas
- More Instant Pot Dinner Recipes
Instant Pot Carnitas is always a good thing in our home. Serve on corn shells, use for filling for enchiladas, and the list goes on. Versatile, flavorful, and a breeze to get that restaurant quality carnitas flavor at home.
Instant Pot Carnitas
The whole world seems to be on an Instant Pot kick, and at first, I was a bit reluctant. This recipe is proof the Instant Pot is fantastic! Let me walk you through tips and tricks to getting quality carnitas every time.
Craving More Mexican Dishes
Mexican Pizza | This is a layered pizza that uses tortillas as the base. Then slice and serve and top with all your favorite Tex-Mex toppings.
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken | I never turn down a good slow cooker recipe. I serve this with a side of rice for a hearty and filling dinner that everyone can enjoy.
Mexican Stuffed Peppers | Stuffed peppers with a Mexican rice filling. Tender, flavorful, and bursting with all that Southwest flavor.
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas | One of my favorite recipes to make. The creamy sauce paired with the chicken is incredible. I highly recommend giving this recipe a try.
What Cut of Pork Roast Is Used in Carnitas
You want to buy a heavily marbled pork roast when making carnitas. The reason being is it offers that juicy and tender variance you want in carnitas. I reached for a pork shoulder, but you can reach for a Boston Butt or even picnic cut.
How Do You Get The Crispy Texture To Carnitas
Since you are using the pressure cooker, it will offer you that tender and juicy aspect, but it can't give you that crispy golden texture. Once you shred your pork and it is fully cooked you will transfer to a baking sheet and use the broiler setting on your oven. This is what gives you that restaurant quality texture and taste.
Don't skip the broiling step; it adds so much depth and flavor.
What Should I Serve With Pork Carnitas
- Serve with flour or corn shells
- Use to stuff into enchiladas or quesadillas
- Pair with refried beans, Mango Salsa, Pico de Gallo or salsa
- Mexican rice, Guacamole or avocado sliced up
How Are Authentic Carnitas Made
Authentic Carnitas are made with lard. It offers a unique flavor to the carnitas, that stands out. My recipe is not authentic or traditional since I am using an Instant Pot. But, you will find similar flavors with the spices used, orange juice, that all come together for that incredible fork-tender carnitas you know and love.
Can I Make Carnitas In Advance
If you want to make carnitas in advance, you can cook them up in the Instant Pot and then store the pork in the fridge.
Then right before you are ready to serve, then broil the meat for that crispy texture and effect. You can store them for 1-2 days in advance.
Just don't broil and then store in the fridge until ready to serve. It is best when our Instant Pot Carnitas is served warm after being broiled in the oven.
Best Way To Store Leftover Instant Pot Carnitas
Transfer any leftover carnitas into an airtight container. Then store in the fridge for up to three days. After that, you will need to use your best judgment on if the carnitas has gone bad.
Best Way to Reheat Carnitas
You can lay the meat on a baking sheet and pop in the oven at 350 degrees and heat the meat up that way until warmed through. Or if you want a quicker method then reach for the microwave. Just make sure not to overcook the meat, or it will dry it out.
You can add a splash of chicken stock to the meat to help add moisture before warming up if you are worried about it drying out.
Can You Freeze Carnita Meat
I place it in a freezer bag and remove all the air. Then store in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw in the fridge the night before you plan to reheat it. Or if you have freezer-friendly containers, you can go that route as well!
Essential Tools for Cooking Instant Pot Carnitas
- Instant Pot Inner Pot - I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in really handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- Silicone Lid for Instant Pot- I'm not sure how I lived without this one. Having a silicone lid for my Instant Pot has made life so much easier. It is perfect for adding ingredients a day or two ahead of time.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners- If you are new to pressure cooking, this is a great ebook to get you started with basic recipes you will use over and over again.