Nothing beats a homemade loaf of French bread. If you have an Instant Pot and want to try your hand at Instant Pot bread, I highly recommend whipping up this easy French bread recipe.
If you are thinking can you make bread in an Instant Pot, the answer is yes. The pressure cooker is great for proofing bread dough, and speeding up the rising process.
Table of contents
- Instant Pot French Bread
- Supplies Used to Make Instant Pot Bread
- Ingredients for homemade bread
- Bread making supplies
- How to Proof Bread in Instant Pot
- Why Make Pressure Cooker Bread
- Can I make bread in a pressure cooker?
- When To Serve Up Bread
- Interested in More Instant Pot Bread Recipes
- Can You Freeze French Bread
Instant Pot French Bread
You will proof your dough in the Instant Pot, and then bake the bread in the oven. It gives you that golden-brown crust you want but speeds up the process of waiting on the bread dough to rise.
This is also the best bread for French toast to use the next day for breakfast.
Supplies Used to Make Instant Pot Bread
- Dough hook | The easiest way to make dough is to use a dough hook attachment. This is the one we use with a KitchenAid Stand Mixer. It makes the process so much easier than kneading dough by hand.
- Instant Pot with yogurt setting | Not all Instant Pots have a yogurt setting, so you want to make sure to select one that does. That will allow you to make yogurt, almond milk yogurt, and proof dough in your Instant Pot.
Ingredients for homemade bread
- quick rise yeast
- warm water
- all-purpose flour (or bread flour)
- granulated sugar
- vegetable oil
- egg white
Instead of baking powder, French bread and other homemade white breads use yeast to leaven the dough. Sourdough bread uses wild yeast and lactic acid bacteria that are present in flour, whereas dinner rolls and other traditional white breads are more likely to use quick rise yeast.
Bread making supplies
- Dough hook | This is THE tool for kneading dough. While you could do it by hand, the entire purpose of this bread recipe is saving time. Just like you'll save time proofing dough in an Instant Pot, you can save time kneading dough with a dough hook.
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer | A stand mixer that is durable and reliable, KitchenAid mixers are top-rated for a reason. You can purchase refurbished KitchenAid mixers as well. We've had our refurbished mixer for going on 10 years and it works great!
- Instant Pot with yogurt setting | Not all Instant Pot models have a yogurt setting. You need to make sure that the model you purchase has a yogurt setting. It is used for making yogurt as well as proofing bread, so if you plan to do either of these, buy an Instant Pot with a yogurt button.
How to Proof Bread in Instant Pot
Activate Yeast | You will need to add your warm water and yeast together and allow it to activate. That means after 5 minutes the yeast will begin to bubble and foam.
Bread Dough | Once you know your bread yeast mixture is good, you will then begin mixing it with the rest of your bread dough ingredients. Mix until it reaches the proper texture.
All the instructions are in the printable card below.
Yogurt Setting | Grease your pot, toss in the dough, and press the yogurt button. Let the dough rise using the yogurt setting.
Spray the inside of the Instant Pot lid to make sure the dough doesn't rise up and stick to the top. Alternatively, you could cover with plastic wrap on the inside of the lid.
Typically, wait to form bread loaves until after the dough has doubled in size. The rising time will be faster than if you used traditional methods.
Loaf | After you have worked over your dough you will shape into a loaf pan as directed, and then bake in your oven. You could also lay parchment paper on the baking pan.
Bake at 425 Fahrenheit for 10 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 375 Fahrenheit and bake another 20 minutes.
Once done let it cool, then slice and serve. This bread is so much fresher than store bought!
Why Make Pressure Cooker Bread
French bread tends to take a long time to make. This Instant Pot bread recipe speeds up the process tremendously and allows you to have that incredible texture and sliceable bread in a fraction of the time.
While you're not actually baking in the pressure cooker, making this Instant Pot white bread recipe speeds up the process of kneading bread and waiting for the bread to rise.
Can I make bread in a pressure cooker?
While there are many bread recipes, Instant Pots are used to proof dough and decrease the lengthy dough rising process. Instant Pot pizza dough is a perfect example of this use.
So, while it's not a bread pot like a bread maker that mixes, kneads, proofs and bakes the bread all in one container, a pressure cooker is a handy tool when it comes to bread making.
When To Serve Up Bread
This instapot bread is mild in flavor and so versatile. Slice and create a garlic bread to pair with pasta recipes like a crockpot mac n cheese recipe or any Italian dish. Or you can slice and slather with butter and pair with your weeknight meals. It's also amazing with strawberry orange jam or apple pie jam.
No matter how you serve up this tasty bread recipe it is sure to be a treat. I also love to make French toast with it, as I mentioned above. It holds its shape nicely.
Interested in More Instant Pot Bread Recipes
- Instant Pot Monkey Bread | Great for breakfast or for a dessert any day of the week.
- Banana Bread | If you have some bananas that are getting a little brown whip up banana bread and enjoy!
- Toasted Pizza Bread | If you own an air fryer here is one recipe to check out. A sliced bread loaded with all the favorite pizza toppings and cooked to air fried perfection.
Can You Freeze French Bread
If you don't plan to eat this bread all right away you can freeze leftovers. Just ensure the bread fully cools once it has been baked. Then transfer into a freezer container or freezer bag.
Freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw on the counter or even wrap tightly in aluminum foil and then reheat in the oven for a fresh bread texture and warmth.