The Instant Pot continues to gain popularity, and for good reason: it’s a multi-function wonder that turns what was once a lengthy and time-consuming cooking project into a fast and simple process.
And, there may be no better match for the Instant Pot than dried legumes. While traditionally cooking dried black-eyed peas on the stovetop can take up to 12-14 hours, with this Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Recipe, they’re ready to eat in less than one hour!
What are Black Eyed Peas?
Although called a pea, black eyed peas are actually a bean. Both peas and beans are legumes, and both have edible seeds and pods. As with all legumes, black eyed peas (and all legumes) are an especially good source of soluble fiber, which helps you to feel fuller longer, and also keeps blood sugar levels balanced.
In the Southern United States, it is a tradition to eat black eyed peas on New Year’s Day, as it is thought to bring prosperity in the new year.
Tips for Cooking Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Recipe
- The natural release will take between 15-20 minutes; so make sure to factor this in to your total preparation time.
- To control foaming, add 1 tablespoon of oil to the black eyed peas before cooking.
- Never fill the Instant Pot more than halfway. For the 6-quart Instant Pot, a 16-ounce bag of dried black eyed peas is the maximum you can cook at one time.
- To decrease the total cooking time, try soaking your dried black eyed peas for 4-8 hours prior to cooking.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
While our Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Recipe is a hearty and satisfying main course, they are equally great served as a side dish. For a complete traditional southern-style meal experience, serve them alongside delicious Ginger Fried Chicken, some braised collard greens, and one of these tasty cornbread muffins.
More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Like
If you love this Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Recipe, check out these other great choices that deliver distinctive, flavors with the ease and convenience of the Instant Pot!
- Instant Pot 2-Ingredient 7-Up Lemon Cake
- Instant Pot Goulash Recipe
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot Baked Ziti Recipe
- Popeye’s Cajun Dirty Rice Recipe – Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
Add all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot inner pot.
Close the lid, and make sure the pressure valve is turned to sealed (not venting).
Set a manual high pressure time for 30 minutes.
Allow for a natural (slow) pressure release at the end of the cooking time.
Stir, dish into bowls, and enjoy!
New to cooking with a pressure cooker? Try out the Be the Boss of Your Instant Pot Video Course! It’ll help take the pressure off and ease you into cooking with your Instant Pot.
Have you tried this recipe? Don’t forget to Rate This Recipe below!
- 16 ounce bag of dried black-eyed peas
- 1 ham hock
- 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with jalapeños (or hot Rotel)
- 5 ounce can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to the pressure cooker.
- Turn pressure valve to sealed.
- Set a manual high-pressure time for 30 minutes.
- Allow for a natural (slow) pressure release at the end of the cook time.
- Stir, serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 4mg Sodium: 289mg Carbohydrates: 19g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g