Sharing is caring!
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon Recipe is a tender fall-apart beef bourguignon similar to the Julia Child beef Bourguignon recipe.
Tender beef, loads of savory broth, veggies, and then cooked in a fraction of the time for that slow simmered flavor you know and love.
Table of contents
The classic Bourguignon is one that is filled with tons of steps, time spent in making this recipe, and maybe a glass or two of wine while you wait.
But using the Instant Pot this really speeds up the time while ensuring no flavor is lacked.
Why You Will Love This Beef Bourguignon...
- Classic flavor from a traditional bourguignon
- Quicker cook time
- Slow simmered flavor
- Loaded with braised meat, rich red wine sauce
- Reheats well
Ingredients Needed For Recipe
- Red Wine
- Tomato Sauce
- Beef Broth
- Bay Leaves
- Salt & Pepper
How Do You Make
First, you want to start by cooking up your bacon on the saute setting. Once the bacon is cooked remove from the pot. Then add in your beef and brown on all the sides.
Searing your beef is going to add texture but also tons of flavor to your meat. Now add in your wine and deglaze the pan, simmer for 6 minutes to reduce the wine.
Whisk in your flour and tomato post, then add in broth, veggies, butter, and seasonings. Seal and cook as directed below, then natural release for 10 minutes.
Now turn to saute once again on low and allow the mixture to thicken. Then serve one insanely tasty dinner.
Helpful Kitchen Supplies
- Kitchen Scale- A kitchen scale is a must to have for so many recipes in order to have accurate measurements. This is something that is often overlooked in recipes.
- Meat Thermometer- Having a meat thermometer is essential. I have gone through so many 'inexpensive' thermometers that I finally invested in a heavy duty digital thermometer from BBQ guys. It was so worth it!
- Instant Pot Inner Pot - I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- Silicone Lid for Instant Pot- I'm not sure how I lived without this one. Having a silicone lid for my Instant Pot has made life so much easier. It is perfect for adding ingredients a day or two ahead of time.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners- If you are new to pressure cooking, this is a great ebook to get you started with basic recipes you will use over and over again.
If you happen to have leftovers, simply store in the proper container in your fridge for up to three days. Then when you want to reheat just warm in the microwave, on the stove, or even in the Instant Pot.
You are welcome to freeze leftovers as well. The texture of the vegetables will be a bit softer once frozen, but delicious as can be. Just thaw in the fridge overnight before serving.
Expert Tips and Variations
Here are some helpful tips and tricks when making this beef pressure cooker recipe.
- Aim to cut the meat in similar size, so it cooks evenly and works at eating. Sometimes larger pieces of meat make it hard, that you have to stop and cut the meat.
- You can use chicken or beef broth to replace of the wine if you don't have wine on hand. It will change the flavor a bit, but overall it will taste similar.
- Feel free to serve with mashed potatoes or even noodles if you would like.
- If you want to thicken up the sauce, add cornstarch and water to the mixture once it is done cooking, to help the sauce thicken.
- You can use stew meat for this recipe.
- The quality of the beef will affect the flavor and texture of this dish. Quality meat will provide a softer texture and richer flavor.
Interested In More Instant Pot Beef Recipes
- Beef Carnitas | Whip up this insanely flavorful and hearty carnitas recipe with beef.
- Instant Pot Goulash | This isn't a boring goulash, this recipe is loaded with tender pasta, savory sauce, and loads of meat.
- Baked Spaghetti | Give this baked spaghetti a try, it is so easy to make, tender pasta, rich meat sauce and baked to perfection.
- Meatball Sliders | Whip up these meatball sliders for you to serve up as a dinner or appetizer for a crowd.
- Garlic Steak Bites| Delicious steak made in your Instant Pot. Talk about a fantastic garlic butter steak.
This beef bourguignon is a classic dish that is associated to the word burgundy, from the red wine used in this dish.
You have a braised beef, bacon, cooked in a red wine tomato sauce with tons of veggies. This is one dish you will enjoy. Julia Child is famous for this classic dish, and it is crowd worthy if you want to wow your guests.
Reach for some buttered bread, side salad, or even vegetables. The options are endless and this can be a tasty meal in one, that doesn't need extra sides.
You will find there are different ways to plate up your bourguignon. Whether you do a bowl or a plate, both are welcome. Then pour over the top of mashed potatoes or even pasta.
Supplies used to make the best Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
- Instant Pot DUO
- Tempered Glass Lid
- Inner Cooking Pot
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- Spoon Rest
Ingredients for a delicious Beef Bourguignon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices thick bacon, chopped
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 small yellow onions, quartered
- 5 carrots, chopped into ½ inch chunks
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 ounces shitake sliced mushrooms
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add oil and bacon to the Instant Pot and saute until the bacon cooks all the way. Remove bacon from the pot.
- Add beef to the pot and brown on all sides.
- Add the wine to the pot, scraping the bottoms of the pan to deglaze the pot. Simmer for 6 minutes, allowing the wine to reduce.
- Whisk in the flour and tomato paste.
- Add in onions, carrots, garlic, beef broth, mushrooms, seasonings and butter.
- Set to sealing and select a high-pressure cooking time for 45 minutes.
- Allow for a natural pressure release for 10 minutes before releasing any remaining pressure.
- Saute on low for an additional 5-10 minutes to thicken to desired consistency.
- Can my dog eat Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon? It is not recommended to give this recipe to your dog. Although your dog's diet is based on meat, ingredients like wine, tomato, onions, and garlic, that the recipe contains aren't the best for his organism. Flavors like garlic and onion are highly toxic to the dog's stomach.
- Can my cat eat Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon? Given that cats are carnivores, this recipe sounds harmless, but it is not. Ingredients like garlic and onion are highly dangerous for your cat. As well as the rest of the spicy ingredients. Therefore, it would be better to avoid sharing this dish with your cat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Duo Crisp 11 in 1, Electric Pressure Cooker with Air Fryer, Roast, Bake, Dehydrate, Slow Cook, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
Instant Pot Tempered Glass Lid, 10" Stainless Steel (8 Qt/ 8L model)
Instant Pot IP-Stainless Steel Inner Pot 8Qt Genuine Stainless Steel Inner Cooking Pot - 8 Quart
Simply Gourmet Measuring Cups and Spoons Set - Stainless Steel Measuring Cups Set for Cooking & Baking, Set of 15.
Wooden Spoons for Cooking,Nonstick Kitchen Utensil Set,Wooden Spoons Cooking Utensil Set Non Scratch Natural Teak Wooden Utensils for Cooking(Teak 8 Pack)
Modern Silicone Spoon Rests (Set of 3) | Kitchen Utensil Holders | Quality Material | BPA Free | Counter Spatula Holder | Stovetop Spoon Rest
Amount Per Serving Calories 591Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 151mgSodium 622mgCarbohydrates 11gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 2gSugar 4gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 46g
More of Our Latest Recipes
- Gouda Cheese Omelet
- Stop the Scorch: How to Stop Pressure Cooker Burning on Bottom
- Top 5 Canning Pressure Cooker Models of 2024: An Expert's Review
- Crockpot Casseroles with Ground Beef
- How Many Ounces Are in a Barrel of Beer?
Jessica McCoy is a seasoned food blogger with 14+ years of experience in the industry. As a self-taught home cook, she enjoys creating and finetuning easy recipes that are fool proof and simple for anyone to make. Her expertise is in all things kitchen: cooking tips, air fryer recipes, Instant Pot and other pressure cooking recipes, and slow cooker recipes. Jessica was the previous owner of AllSheCooks, where she focused on easy every day recipes including budget friendly dinner recipes and desserts.
Sharing is caring!