If you are new to the world of instant pot rice making or want to ditch the takeout and learn how to make sticky rice on your own, then this Authentic Sticky Rice recipe is perfect for you!
It is rumored that over 450 million metric tons of rice were consumed worldwide between 2020-2021. That's a lot of rice!
Looking for more rice recipes, see our complete list of Instant Pot Rice recipes.
Enjoyed alongside meat, fish, and vegetables- or as a standalone meal- sticky rice is a savory dish that has gained global popularity.
Table of contents
What makes rice so sticky?
Great question! Each grain of rice is coated in starch that, when mixed with hot boiling water, begins to stick once cooked. The amount of starch left on the rice after rinsing determines how sticky the end result will be.
How to make Sticky Rice
- Start by adding the sushi rice, water, and salt into the Instant Pot, and pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Once done, allow for a 10 minute natural pressure release before venting the remaining steam off.
- Drizzle vinegar over the rice, then gently stir.
Can I use regular vinegar?
Unless you are wanting a more bitter taste to your rice than a sweet, airy one, then we suggest sticking to rice vinegar. Rice vinegar is made from fermented rice, and is sweeter by design, helping to give the sticky rice that authentic mild flavor you find in restaurant-style sushi rice.
What are the most popular brands of Sushi rice?
There are hundreds of different brands of sushi rice, most being either long grain or short grain. For US customers, here's a list of sushi rice brands you may be able to find in stores:
- Botan Calrose rice
- Koshihikari- Shirakiku Rice
- Nanatsuboshi Premium Short Grain White Rice
- Nishiki sushi rice
- Tamaki Gold California Koshihikari Short Grain Rice
- Yamaguchi Short-Grain White Rice
Is sticky rice gluten-free?
This is a two-fold answer. The rice used for sticky rice can be a gluten-free brand; however, because many kinds of vinegar are made with glutinous grains, once mixed with sugar will add gluten to your dish. Research your vinegar prior to use to avoid gluten-based rice vinegar.
More rice recipes
- Brown Basmati Rice in Instant Pot | Obviously different from your regular white Basmati rice but with a significantly lower glycemic index.
- Instant Pot Jasmine Rice | A fluffy, tender and fragrant rice that's the perfect addition to tonight's meal!
- Panda Express Fried Rice | The ultimate Instant Pot fried rice recipe, filled with tender white rice, vegetables, and chicken in each bite.
- Chicken and Rice Burrito Bowl Instant Pot Recipe | Skip ordering takeout and make a homemade burrito bowl that is loaded with Tex-Mex flavor.