Craving a homemade hot chocolate? Try out my Instant Pot hot chocolate recipe that uses real chocolate, milk, sugar, and a few warm spices for a delicious flavor pairing.
Learn how to make hot chocolate from scratch. Once you do you will never want to buy packet hot chocolate mix again!
Top your warm drink with some whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder or even cinnamon.
Table of contents
- Why I Recommend Making Hot Chocolate in Instant Pot
- Ingredients To Make Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- How to Make Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- Difference Between Hot Cocoa and Hot Chocolate
- Expert Tips for Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- Storing Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- Make A Hot Chocolate Bar
- Does This Recipe Double Well
- More Instant Pot Recipes To Try
Why I Recommend Making Hot Chocolate in Instant Pot
- Flavorful and creamy texture
- One-pot drink for an easy cleanup
- Can keep it warm for an extended time when serving guests
- Simple ingredients
- The spices add a nice twist of flavor
- Glass coffee mugs - Clear mugs are a fun way to serve hot chocolate. It makes it easy to see what you're serving, and then if you garnish or drizzle the inside of the cup with chocolate syrup it makes an even nicer presentation.
- Ceramic nonstick inner pot - We prefer to use a nonstick inner pot to prevent sticking.
- Silicone spatula - This set of spatulas are not only colorful but heat safe to very high temperatures, making them very versatile.
- Silicone whisk - You'll need a whisk to mix the chocolate and milk. A silicone whisk is ideal b/c it doesn't scratch surfaces.
Ingredients To Make Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- 72% Cocoa Bar - This offers the perfect amount of chocolaty flavor when mixed with the rest of the ingredients.
- Milk or Milk Substitute of dairy-free - We like to use almond milk.
- Cocoa Powder - Try to use the best cocoa powder you can. This really makes a difference in the flavor when you use high-quality chocolate powder. A dutch processed cocoa powder is nice to use.
- Sugar - Use granulated sugar.
- Cinnamon - This is an optional add-in flavor, but is an amazing addition.
- Nutmeg - Another optional spice add-in, but a dash of nutmeg is phenomenal in this drink recipe.
- Whipped Cream - You can top your cocoa any way you would like, but a homemade whipped cream is the best way. Of course, marshmallows work nicely as well.
You can change up some of the warm spices used or leave them out. Or if you want flavor your hot chocolate with other ingredients to adjust the flavor.
How to Make Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- Start by roughly chopping your chocolate bar, so it melts easily.
- Turn Instant Pot to slow cooker setting.
- Toss in your chocolate and once it begins to melt stir in your milk.
- Add in cocoa powder and a splash of water.
- Add in the sugar to taste. Toss in your spices if you would like.
- Place lid on the pressure cooker leaving the valve open. Stir every 30 minutes.
- Stir and serve a warm and decadent drink and top with whipped cream.
Full instructions and measurements of ingredients are in the recipe card below.
Difference Between Hot Cocoa and Hot Chocolate
Hot chocolate is made using chocolate and cocoa, where hot cocoa uses cocoa powder as the way to flavor your drink. You can also make your own homemade hot cocoa mix.
Both recipes are delicious, and you are welcome to adjust the recipe to hot cocoa if you prefer.
Expert Tips for Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- Quality chocolate is key, as that is going to be the stand out the flavor in your drink. I prefer to use 72% baking chocolate.
- Use more or less sugar to adjust to your preference.
- Add in sweetened condensed milk instead of milk to help make this an extra thick and creamy hot chocolate.
- You can use a milk alternative if you need a dairy-free alternative.
- Add in a splash of vanilla, peppermint extract, hazelnut coffee creamer, etc to add different flavors to make a flavored hot chocolate.
Storing Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
If you happen to have leftover you will need to store your leftovers in an airtight container and store in the fridge.
Reheat leftovers in the microwave, in a pan on the stove, or even a slow cooker.
Make A Hot Chocolate Bar
Serve up your chocolate chocolate in your Instant Pot. Then in bowls have toppings and such people can mix in. From mini marshmallows, crushed peppermint, etc.
This is a fun way to entertain guests, serve up for movie night, etc.
More ideas for a hot chocolate bar:
- offer options for boozy hot chocolate
- chocolate bombs (try Valentine's hot cocoa bombs or these red velvet hot chocolate bombs)
- dry milk powder
- almond milk
- crushed candy canes
Does This Recipe Double Well
If you have a larger Instant Pot double or even triple the recipe. Just watch the max fill line and don't go over that mark. Then just ensure when you stir you scrape the bottom to ensure nothing burns.