Sharing is caring!
Craving a homemade hot chocolate? Try out my Instant Pot hot chocolate recipe that uses real chocolate, milk, sugar, and a few warm spices for a delicious flavor pairing.
Learn how to make hot chocolate from scratch. Once you do you will never want to buy packet hot chocolate mix again!
Top your warm drink with some whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder or even cinnamon.
Table of contents
- Why I Recommend Making Hot Chocolate in Instant Pot
- Ingredients To Make Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- How to Make Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- Difference Between Hot Cocoa and Hot Chocolate
- Expert Tips for Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- Storing Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- Make A Hot Chocolate Bar
- Does This Recipe Double Well
- More Instant Pot Recipes To Try
Why I Recommend Making Hot Chocolate in Instant Pot
- Flavorful and creamy texture
- One-pot drink for an easy cleanup
- Can keep it warm for an extended time when serving guests
- Simple ingredients
- The spices add a nice twist of flavor
- Glass coffee mugs - Clear mugs are a fun way to serve hot chocolate. It makes it easy to see what you're serving, and then if you garnish or drizzle the inside of the cup with chocolate syrup it makes an even nicer presentation.
- Ceramic nonstick inner pot - We prefer to use a nonstick inner pot to prevent sticking.
- Silicone spatula - This set of spatulas are not only colorful but heat safe to very high temperatures, making them very versatile.
- Silicone whisk - You'll need a whisk to mix the chocolate and milk. A silicone whisk is ideal b/c it doesn't scratch surfaces.
Ingredients To Make Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- 72% Cocoa Bar - This offers the perfect amount of chocolaty flavor when mixed with the rest of the ingredients.
- Milk or Milk Substitute of dairy-free - We like to use almond milk.
- Cocoa Powder - Try to use the best cocoa powder you can. This really makes a difference in the flavor when you use high-quality chocolate powder. A dutch processed cocoa powder is nice to use.
- Sugar - Use granulated sugar.
- Cinnamon - This is an optional add-in flavor, but is an amazing addition.
- Nutmeg - Another optional spice add-in, but a dash of nutmeg is phenomenal in this drink recipe.
- Whipped Cream - You can top your cocoa any way you would like, but a homemade whipped cream is the best way. Of course, marshmallows work nicely as well.
You can change up some of the warm spices used or leave them out. Or if you want flavor your hot chocolate with other ingredients to adjust the flavor.
How to Make Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- Start by roughly chopping your chocolate bar, so it melts easily.
- Turn Instant Pot to slow cooker setting.
- Toss in your chocolate and once it begins to melt stir in your milk.
- Add in cocoa powder and a splash of water.
- Add in the sugar to taste. Toss in your spices if you would like.
- Place lid on the pressure cooker leaving the valve open. Stir every 30 minutes.
- Stir and serve a warm and decadent drink and top with whipped cream.
Full instructions and measurements of ingredients are in the recipe card below.
Difference Between Hot Cocoa and Hot Chocolate
Hot chocolate is made using chocolate and cocoa, where hot cocoa uses cocoa powder as the way to flavor your drink. You can also make your own homemade hot cocoa mix.
Both recipes are delicious, and you are welcome to adjust the recipe to hot cocoa if you prefer.
Expert Tips for Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- Quality chocolate is key, as that is going to be the stand out the flavor in your drink. I prefer to use 72% baking chocolate.
- Use more or less sugar to adjust to your preference.
- Add in sweetened condensed milk instead of milk to help make this an extra thick and creamy hot chocolate.
- You can use a milk alternative if you need a dairy-free alternative.
- Add in a splash of vanilla, peppermint extract, hazelnut coffee creamer, etc to add different flavors to make a flavored hot chocolate.
Storing Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
If you happen to have leftover you will need to store your leftovers in an airtight container and store in the fridge.
Reheat leftovers in the microwave, in a pan on the stove, or even a slow cooker.
Make A Hot Chocolate Bar
Serve up your chocolate chocolate in your Instant Pot. Then in bowls have toppings and such people can mix in. From mini marshmallows, crushed peppermint, etc.
This is a fun way to entertain guests, serve up for movie night, etc.
More ideas for a hot chocolate bar:
- offer options for boozy hot chocolate
- chocolate bombs (try Valentine's hot cocoa bombs or these red velvet hot chocolate bombs)
- dry milk powder
- almond milk
- crushed candy canes
Does This Recipe Double Well
If you have a larger Instant Pot double or even triple the recipe. Just watch the max fill line and don't go over that mark. Then just ensure when you stir you scrape the bottom to ensure nothing burns.
More Instant Pot Recipes To Try
Homemade Hot Chocolate Ingredients
How to Prepare Homemade Hot Chocolate Mixture
- Turn the Instant Pot on via the slow cook feature. Set time to 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Chop the chocolate bar and place it into the Instant Pot. Once it starts to melt, stir quickly while whisking in the milk. It will clump up, but don't worry as the Instant Pot heats up. This will melt and leave specks of chocolate throughout your hot cocoa.
- Mix 2/3 cups cocoa powder with a few tablespoons of water. Mix it till it becomes a liquid paste. If you need more water, then add a little more. You don't want it a soup. You want it to be thick, running paste-like chocolate syrup. Add this into the Instant Pot and stir well.
- Stir or whisk in the sugar. I suggest starting at 1 cup of sugar and tasting it. Just remember, as it warms up, the sugar will be sweeter. Add the sugar to your own taste buds.
- These are optional, and not all people like cinnamon or nutmeg. Add them in and stir well.
- Place the lid on the pot with the valve open. Stir every 30 minutes or so, allowing the chocolate to mix in well. At about 2 hours, the hot chocolate will be warm enough to serve. We add the extra 30 minutes depending on your Instant Pot and how long you want to keep it warm.
- Serve topped with whipped topping and cinnamon.
Variations for Homemade Hot Chocolate
- Make this a Ninja Foodi hot chocolate if that is the type of pressure cooker you have. You can make this with any pressure cooker that has a slow cooker feature.
- Make this a Crockpot hot chocolate in your slow cooker.
- Spike the hot chocolate with a flavored liquor.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
COOK WITH COLOR Silicone Whisks for Cooking, Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set of Two - 10” and 12”, Heat Resistant Kitchen Whisks, Balloon Whisk for Nonstick Cookware - Rose Gold and Mint Green
U-Taste Silicone Spatula Set with 600 Degrees Fahrenheit Heat Resistant (Teal/Aqua Sky)
Instant Pot Ceramic Non Stick Interior Coated Inner Cooking Pot 8 Quart
Glass Mugs,QAPPDA Clear Coffee Mugs With Handle 15 oz,Tea Mugs 450ml,Beer Glasses With Handle,Glass Cup Drinkware For Beverage,Juice,Latte Cups Cappuccino Mugs Beer Mug Water Cups Sets of 8 KTZB107…
Amount Per Serving Calories 217Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 20mgSodium 129mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 1gSugar 19gProtein 9g
Jessica McCoy is a seasoned food blogger with 14+ years of experience in the industry. As a self-taught home cook, she enjoys creating and finetuning easy recipes that are fool proof and simple for anyone to make. Her expertise is in all things kitchen: cooking tips, air fryer recipes, Instant Pot and other pressure cooking recipes, and slow cooker recipes. Jessica was the previous owner of AllSheCooks, where she focused on easy every day recipes including budget friendly dinner recipes and desserts.
Sharing is caring!