6 simple ingredients are all you need to make this Instant Pot Bone Broth recipe. It is so easy making bone broth in your pressure cooker.
Reap the bone broth benefits without the high price tag of buying storebought quality chicken bone broth. Make your own and control the flavor and ingredients used.
Whether you are on the bone broth diet or looking to make bone broth for dogs, this pressure cooker recipe is great.
Table of contents
Supplies Used to Make Bone Broth
- Cheesecloth - Use the cheesecloth to strain the bone broth.
- Fine strainer - If you don't have a cheesecloth, you could also use a fine strainer to strain the broth.
- Quart sized mason jars - We used mason jars to store our broth in to refrigerate it. This makes it very easy to take out of the refrigerator, pour a serving, and then put it back in the fridge.
Bone Broth Ingredients
- Left-over meat carcass - Chicken feet are best for chicken bone broth.
- Carrots - Carrots offer so many nutritional benefits, and these as well as the natural color from the carrots are infused in this broth recipe.
- Onion - Add onion to the broth simply for the enhanced flavor. You could also choose to add garlic.
- Whole black peppercorns - This is used to add flavor to the broth.
- Kosher salt - Also added for flavor.
- Bay leaves - Add a few bay leaves to create an aromatic broth.
Toss ingredients in, let them pressure cook, and strain and store. Use your broth for recipes, sipping on, etc. An Instant Pot chicken stock that is chalked full of flavor.
What Is Bone Broth?
It is very similar to beef or chicken stock. It is made by using bones and connective tissue that is slow-simmered and cooked for an extended period.
Chicken bones, beef, veal, and other meats can be used when making this nutrient-rich broth. You can also cook with vegetable scraps to add more flavor to your homemade beef or other meat broth.
What Part of the Chicken is Best for Making Bone Broth?
The best part of the chicken to use is the chicken feet. These are high in natural gelatin, which also means it's high in collagen. This is ideal.
You could also use any leftover chicken carcass you have. However, if you are going to the store specifically for a chicken to make broth, go for the chicken feet. They are also inexpensive.
Why Make Your Own Bone Broth
- Making homemade is much more affordable.
- Save back carcass after you cook a rotisserie chicken, to not waste food.
- Hands off cooking process.
- Loaded with nutrients and vitamins.
- Adds flavor to recipes that you can’t get from a classic broth.
How to Make Instant Pot Bone Broth
Toss in your bones, carrot, onion, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Add water to the max fill line.
Then cook as directed followed by a natural release in pressure. Strain and store your Instant pot chicken stock or beef in a mason jar or airtight container, in the fridge.
See how easy it is making broth! No monitoring the stove, use up scraps and have broth to make broth soups, stews, and more.
Health Benefits of Bone Broth
- Good for gut health and digestion
- Full of amino acids
- Joint health support
- Great for skin and hair due to collagen
- Can be an aid in weight loss
- Can boost immune function
Those are just a few simple benefits but there are so many more.
How Often Should You Drink Bone Broth?
Many recommend drinking around 1 cup of this chicken broth daily to maximize the benefits. You can add into recipes like soups, casseroles, and other foods, or drink from a cup.
How To Freeze
If you have extra broth you do not plan to use before it goes bad you can easily freeze it.
- Allow it to cool.
- Strain the broth.
- Pour into ice cube trays, sealable bags, or containers.
- Freeze for up to a year depending on how you freeze.
Freezing it into ice cubes is a great way to toss a few in while cooking or thaw and give your dog to eat.
I also recommend if you freeze in bags or containers measure and freeze so you know there’s 1 cup of liquid per container, or however much you store.
Can I Substitute Bone Broth for Stock in Recipes?
Use it instead of regular chicken and beef bouillon. Just measure out the same amount of liquid to use!