Learn how to cook lentils in the Instant Pot with this Instant Pot lentil soup recipe. Loads of spices and seasonings, tender lentils, veggies all in one incredible lentil soup.
If you are new to cooking lentils, the pressure cooker is the perfect way to cook lentils. Dump in dry lentils, and let the pressure cooker handle the rest.
This is a vegetarian lentil soup that is full of flavor, stores well and great for meal prepping.
If you want to whip up a batch of this healthy soup, give it a try. You will love this simple pressure cooker soup.
Why You Will Enjoy This Lentil Soup Recipe...
- Simple Ingredients
- Stores well
- Vegetarian Soup
- Great for meal prepping
- Versatile in ingredients used
- Cook dry lentils in Instant Pot
- Gluten Free Soup
- Purple Onion
- Salt & Pepper
- Red Lentils
- Green Lentils
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Vegetable Broth
How to Make
Full directions for this Instant Pot lentil soup are in the printable recipe card below. This is a quick overview on how to cook dry lentils in pressure cooker.
Start by sauteing the veggies to tenderize and make onions slightly golden brown in color.
Toss in the spices and lentils to flavor the lentils. Add in remaining ingredients, and pressure cook as directed.
Allow for a natural release for a bit, then open and stir up the lentil soup.
If you have leftover French green lentil soup, go ahead and store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Now, this lentil soup is great for using to meal prep for grab and go lunches or dinners. Just warm up the leftover soup in the microwave or in a pan on the stove.
Best Way To Reheat Lentil Soup | If you want to reheat your soup, go right ahead and warm it up on the stovetop. Or for a quicker option warm it up in the microwave.
Not sure what to do or to change up this recipe? Here are a handful of ways to change up this lentil recipe.
- I used French Green Lentils, but feel free to change up the lentils you use.
- Add in some diced ham or even bacon if you want a meaty soup.
- Change up the vegetables you use in this soup. Clean out your fridge with produce.
- I used vegetable broth, but you can easily swap with bone broth, or beef or chicken stock.
- You can double this recipe if you have a larger pressure cooker. Just watch the max fill line.
- Fresh or frozen produce can be used. You will find that canned vegetables do not cook well under pressure.
- You can make this soup on the stovetop if you don't own a pressure cooker.
- Dried green lentils instant pot are wonderful, but feel free to swap with a different variety of lentils.
Have you wondered are lentils legumes? If so, the answer is yes. Lentils are from the legume family. Nutrient rich, full of fiber, and so delicious.
You will pressure cook lentils for 15 minutes, and then do a natural release of pressure. Cooking lentils in the Instant Pot allow for a quicker cook time of the lentils compared to other cooking methods.
Lentils are in the bean and pea family, so they are considered group together. You will find that they are a great source of nutrients, fiber, and potassium.
Lentils are a great item to add into your meal plan. Loaded with vitamins, minerals, and more.
Do lentils cause gas?
Lentils will cause some excessive gas. You can sprout your lentils first, or add some anti-gas medicine into your meal plan right before you plan to eat. This can help relieve any excess gas that builds up.
Can dogs eat lentils? Yes, in moderation. They offer a great source of nutrients to help fuel your dog.
Lentils are naturally gluten free. Whatever the variety you use, they are a gluten free option to add into your rotation of dinners and lunches.
Lentils do have a good amount of carbs, but are high in fiber so it can be used in a low carb diet. You just need to eat in moderation is the key.