Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. I might receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Did you know you can make homemade salsa in your Instant Pot? This is an easy and refreshing homemade salsa recipe that is so easy to make. Pair with your Taco Tuesday or a big bowl of salty tortilla chips!
Fresh salsa is one of my favorites. You are going to reach for fresh ingredients to really bring out tons of flavor to your salsa. Reach for fresh and ripe veggies to help give your salsa optimal flavor.
Here are some of the homemade fresh salsa ingredients you will want to reach for
- Red Onions
- And More
Kitchen Supplies for Homemade Salsa Recipe
- Immersion blender | This kind of blender is ideal for blending up soups right in the pan where they are cooking.
- Ninja blender | A counter top blender that is highly rated, we use this blender for everything from salsa, to smoothies and more.
- Salsa serving bowls | You can't beat having restaurant-style salsa serving bowls when you serve chips and salsa with dinner. These individual bowls mean everyone gets their own.
How to Make
This homemade salsa can be spicy or mild. You can pick by how much heat you use for this.
But to start making you will want to place your tomatoes side-by-side in the Instant Pot. Don't stack the tomatoes on top of each other.
Use a tool or spoon to smash your tomatoes to crack the skins. Then add your next 7 ingredients. Close the lid and make sure the valve is set to sealing.
Do high pressure for 5 minutes, with a 10-minute natural release.
Once done, use an immersion blender to help smooth out the salsa. Add in remaining salsa ingredients.
How long does homemade salsa last?
Homemade salsa can last 4-6 days when stored in the refrigerator properly. You will need to use your best judgment in terms of quality.
Make sure you store your salsa in an airtight container or it can take on flavors from the odors in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze homemade salsa?
You absolutely can freeze leftover homemade salsa. Just place in a freezer container, and freeze for 2-3 months. When it thaws just know the color will be a little different and texture slightly different depending on the thickness.
It will still taste really good and a great way to mix in recipes and such as well.
Do I have to use an immersion blender?
If you prefer a chunky style salsa, skip the immersion blender. Just stir in the remaining ingredients and then if you need to smash up a bit with a spoon to reach the texture you prefer for your salsa.
What if I don't have fresh tomatoes?
If you do not have fresh tomatoes no worries. Go right ahead and just reach for canned whole tomatoes and dump them in along with the juice. No need to smash them as they are soft and tender already.
Then you can cook the same way.
Easy Homemade Salsa
- 8 Roma tomatoes
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 jalapeño (seeds in = hot, half seeds in = medium, seeds out = mild)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Place the tomatoes side-by-side in the inner pot of the Instant Pot. They should all the on the bottom of the pot, and not stacked on top of each other. Smash the tomatoes to crack the skins and release tomato juice.
- Add in the next 7 homemade salsa ingredients.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the pressure valve to sealing. Set for a high pressure cook time of 5 minutes.
- After the cooking time finishes, do a 10 minutes natural pressure release. Then, manually release any remaining pressure.
- If using an immersion blender, add the remaining homemade salsa ingredients to the pot and blend.
- If using a traditional blender or food processor, add the ingredients from the Instant Pot, along with the cilantro, lime juice and salt and pulverize until the desired consistency of your fresh homemade salsa is reached.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1728mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 4g