Ham potato soup is the ultimate cheesy ham and potato soup recipe to whip up on a cold chilly day. This is an easy and quick Instant Pot soup that you will want to make to serve a crowd or just for your family.
This easy potato soup is loaded with diced potatoes, broth, ham, seasoning, butter, and more to help give this dish tons of flavor.
Pair with some dinner rolls, side salad, or even a sandwich and ring that dinner bell. This is the best potato soup recipe ever.
- Chicken Broth
- Half and Half
- Red Potatoes
- Sour Cream
How to Make
Turn your saute feature on and add in your butter and let it melt. Then toss in your onions to saute and soften them.
you will add in the additional butter and then whisk cornstarch and milk in a bowl. Pour into the onion mix. Then add in chicken stock, potatoes, carrots, ham, garlic powder, and pepper.
Place your lid on and secure the valve. Then cook and when done quick release.
Stir in the sour cream and then shredded cheese.
Garnish and serve.
- Use a russet potato, Yukon, or another type of potato.
- Feel free to leave out the ham if you want a meatless option.
- Consider tossing in diced cooked chicken, or bacon.
- Top with all your favorites. Oyster crackers, crumbled bacon, green onions, etc.
- Wire whisk | This is an essential kitchen tool with multiple uses. Use for beating eggs, whisk milk to a frothy consistency, or in the case of soup, use it mix liquid smoothly with a roux.
- Nonstick inner pot | The Instant Pot nonstick inner pot is not a must-have, but it is a great Instant Pot gift idea. The nonstick inner pot makes cooking and cleanup easier, because there just won't be much stuck on.
- Wooden spoons | Wooden spoons are a go-to mixing tool. They are easy to use and they also look gorgeous in a container on the counter.
- Glass storage containers | Do your part for the environment and use re-usable glass containers to store leftovers. I was looking at where to find refrigerator glass storage containers and found this perfect set on Amazon.
- Soup lunch Crockpot for work | Yes, please! If you want to have lunch hot when you are ready for lunch, this to-go Crockpot is the perfect size for keeping your lunch ready for you at your desk. So, take a break and dig in.
Because of the dairy in the soup, you will find as it thaws from being frozen it will curdle and separate a bit. You would also find the vegetables are a lot softer in texture as well.
This soup will store for 3-4 days in the fridge. Just allow the soup to cool a bit then transfer into an airtight container.
To reheat you can warm in the microwave or pour the soup into a pan on the stove. Then heat low and slow to warm it up.
Yes! With the Instant Pot, all the ingredients cook together, so you don't have to cook the potatoes separately.
More Soup Recipes
- Chicken Florentine Soup | This savory soup is so flavorful, hearty and healthy. The broth is my favorite part. Seconds, please!
- Broccoli Cheese Soup | A cold weather go-to, this broccoli and cheese soup recipe is one that you'll make over and over. It's a favorite in our household.
- Chicken Tortilla Soup | Southwest chicken soup, chicken chili...whatever you want to call it. Top this soup with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream and some avocado and it's SO good!
- Chicken Noodle Soup | This classic chicken soup recipe is a homestyle chicken noodle soup that is comfort food at its finest.