Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. I might receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Ham potato soup is the ultimate cheesy ham and potato soup recipe to whip up on a cold chilly day. This is an easy and quick Instant Pot soup that you will want to make to serve a crowd or just for your family.
Ham Potato Soup
This easy potato soup is loaded with diced potatoes, broth, ham, seasoning, butter, and more to help give this dish tons of flavor.
Pair with some dinner rolls, side salad, or even a sandwich and ring that dinner bell. This is the best potato soup recipe ever.
Ingredients for Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
- Chicken Broth
- Half and Half
- Red Potatoes
- Sour Cream
How to Make
Turn your saute feature on and add in your butter and let it melt. Then toss in your onions to saute and soften them.
you will add in the additional butter and then whisk cornstarch and milk in a bowl. Pour into the onion mix. Then add in chicken stock, potatoes, carrots, ham, garlic powder, and pepper.
Place your lid on and secure the valve. Then cook and when done quick release.
Stir in the sour cream and then shredded cheese.
Garnish and serve.
Variations to Potato Soup Recipe
- Use a russet potato, Yukon, or another type of potato.
- Feel free to leave out the ham if you want a meatless option.
- Consider tossing in diced cooked chicken, or bacon.
- Top with all your favorites. Oyster crackers, crumbled bacon, green onions, etc.
- Wire whisk | This is an essential kitchen tool with multiple uses. Use for beating eggs, whisk milk to a frothy consistency, or in the case of soup, use it mix liquid smoothly with a roux.
- Nonstick inner pot | The Instant Pot nonstick inner pot is not a must-have, but it is a great Instant Pot gift idea. The nonstick inner pot makes cooking and cleanup easier, because there just won't be much stuck on.
- Wooden spoons | Wooden spoons are a go-to mixing tool. They are easy to use and they also look gorgeous in a container on the counter.
- Glass storage containers | Do your part for the environment and use re-usable glass containers to store leftovers. I was looking at where to find refrigerator glass storage containers and found this perfect set on Amazon.
- Soup lunch Crockpot for work | Yes, please! If you want to have lunch hot when you are ready for lunch, this to-go Crockpot is the perfect size for keeping your lunch ready for you at your desk. So, take a break and dig in.
Does This Soup Freeze Well
Because of the dairy in the soup, you will find as it thaws from being frozen it will curdle and separate a bit. You would also find the vegetables are a lot softer in texture as well.
How Long Can You Store Ham Potato Soup
This soup will store for 3-4 days in the fridge. Just allow the soup to cool a bit then transfer into an airtight container.
To reheat you can warm in the microwave or pour the soup into a pan on the stove. Then heat low and slow to warm it up.
More Soups in The Instant Pot
- Chicken Florentine Soup | This savory soup is so flavorful, hearty and healthy. The broth is my favorite part. Seconds, please!
- Broccoli Cheese Soup | A cold weather go-to, this broccoli and cheese soup recipe is one that you'll make over and over. It's a favorite in our household.
- Chicken Tortilla Soup | Southwest chicken soup, chicken chili…whatever you want to call it. Top this soup with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream and some avocado and it's SO good!
- Chicken Noodle Soup | This classic chicken soup recipe is a homestyle chicken noodle soup that is comfort food at its finest.
Instant Pot Potato Soup with Ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 5 cups cubed red potatoes
- 3 cups cubed ham
- 2 cups sliced baby carrots
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- Cheese, sour cream, chives, fresh cilantro, hot sauce
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter on sauté setting in Instant Pot.
- Add onions and sauté until tender.
- Add additional 6 tablespoons butter and allow to melt.
- Whisk cornstarch into milk. Pour milk into onion mixture and stir. Add chicken broth and half and half into pot.
- Add carrots, potatoes, ham, garlic powder and pepper
- Put lid on Instant Pot and secure according to your instructions. Set at high pressure for 6 minutes.
- When time is up quick-release pressure and remove the lid.
- Slowly stir in sour cream until combined. Slowly stir in cheese until combined.
- Serve with extra garnishes on top if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 602Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 1538mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 28g