Instead of messing with a complicated recipe for dinner, try this Instant Pot Roast Beef instead! Full of hearty potatoes and carrots, this dish will leave the family satisfied and happy. A quick toss and go recipe that’s a perfect weeknight dinner idea.
There’s nothing better than an easy and comforting dinner recipe. Especially one that involves only a couple minutes of prep time - just chop, toss, and go.
Table of contents
Recipes like this Instant Pot Pot Roast take a ton of the anxiety out of fitting dinner in and making it a success.
It definitely has made my list of dinners I make on a consistent basis, along with this Instant Pot Butter Chicken Recipe.
I can’t forget a classic like this Instant Pot Baked Ziti Recipe either.
Really, I could sit here and name off recipes until the list was a mile long, and they all reduce dinner stress. When it comes down to it, a pressure cooker or Instant Pot makes life so much nicer when you’re cooking.
In other words, invest in one and you’ll fall in love with cooking all over again. Plus, you’ll get to dive into amazing recipes like this one!
New to cooking with a pressure cooker? Try out the Be the Boss of Your Instant Pot Video Course! It'll help take the pressure off and ease you into cooking with your Instant Pot.
How to Make Instant Pot Roast Beef
Prep - Salt the roast beef and seer it for 3 minutes on each side. Slice the carrots and potatoes into large chunks. This can be done in a pan, or using the Instant Pot sauté mode.
If you seer the meat in your Instant Pot, make sure you remove the roast after steering and then add a small amount of liquid to the pan. Scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze it before pressure cooking.
Cook - Toss all the ingredients in the instant pot and cook on manual/high pressure for 45 minutes. Do a 10-minute natural release before releasing the rest of the pressure manually.
Garnish and serve - Cut the roast into equal portions. Garnish with some dried chives or other herbs, serve, and enjoy!
Instant Pot Products We Love
- Meat Tenderizer- Can't find pre-tenderized meat at the store? It is easy to tenderize meat at home if you have the right tool.
- Steamer Basket- This is an essential tool and is used with an Instant Pot for a lot of recipes.
- Instant Pot Inner Pot- I like to have an extra inner pot available because of how much cooking I do in my Instant Pot. It comes in really handy when I want to put a lid on the inner pot and refrigerate the leftovers, or mix up ingredients the night before to save time at the end of the day.
- Silicone Lid for Instant Pot- I'm not sure how I lived without this one. Having a silicone lid for my Instant Pot has made life so much easier. It is perfect for adding ingredients a day or two ahead of time.
- 101 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners- If you are new to pressure cooking, this is a great ebook to get you started with basic recipes you will use over and over again.
Tips and Variations
- Storage - Store this instant pot roast beef recipe in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to a week and in the freezer for up to 2 months. Do not leave out overnight.
- Reheating - To reheat from the fridge, place in the microwave, covered, and heat until warmed through. To warm out of the freezer, let the roast beef thaw before following the previous heating directions.
- Is this a gluten-free instant pot roast beef recipe? - Yes! There’s nothing in this recipe that isn’t naturally gluten-free. It’s also dairy-free and nut-free as long as the ingredients you use weren’t made in a factory that processes nuts.
- What to serve with roast beef? - Since veggies come along with the roast recipe, it comes with its own sides! However, if you want to add in even more sides, some great additions would be dinner rolls, mashed potatoes, a light salad, stuffing, etc.
- Make it spicy - Add in some crushed red peppers to the mix before cooking and you’ll have an added kick to your beef roast recipe.
- Garnish ideas - I like to chop some fresh herbs and add them to the top or use some dried herbs I have on hand. You can also use butter, roasted mushrooms, etc. Totally up to you and your taste preferences!
- Add onion - If you want even more flavor and veggies added to your meal, slice an onion and toss it in with the rest of the veggies.
Common Questions About Instant Pot Roast Beef
Does Meat Get More Tender the Longer You Pressure Cook it?
Although meat will come out extremely tender and “fall off the bone” amazing when pressure cooked properly, it can also dry out. If cooked for too long, it will dry up just like any other method of cooking.
Therefore, it’s important to cook the meat at the time suggested in the recipe to ensure you get the perfect outcome. For this instant pot beef roast recipe, as long as you follow the exact cooking time, you’ll be raving about the outcome of the meat.
Why is My Pot Roast Tough?
If you cooked it in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot and it came out tough, you may have overcooked it. You possibly should have used more water as well.
Always make sure you add at least a cup of water per 2.5 pounds of roast. This can differ depending on each brand of pressure cooker and instant pot, but it’s a good place to start. You’ll also want to reduce the time a bit when you cook it the next time around.
If you have any questions about this Instant Pot Roast Beef dish or you simply loved it, let me know in the comments below!
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes You Might Like:
- Instant Pot Beef Enchilada Hamburger Helper Casserole
- Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
- Korean Ground Beef
- Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
Favorite Instant Pot Recipes
- Is Greek Yogurt Keto? What You Need to Know.
- Cayenne & Rosemary Chicken - Instant Pot Chicken Legs Recipe
- How to Make Beef Stew in the Slow Cooker or Crockpot
- Instant Pot Turkey Roast - Turkey Breast Meat
- Instant Pot Carrots - Easy Side Dish Recipe
- Instant Pot Banana Cake — Easy Instant Pot Cake Recipe
- Air Fryer Corn Dogs - Learn How To Perfectly Cook Them
- Can You Put Foil In An Air Fryer
- What to Serve with Taco Casserole
- What to Do with Leftover Chicken - 50 Ways to Use Your Leftovers
- What to Serve with Broccoli Cheese Soup - 25 Best Soup Sides
- How to Cook FROZEN Ground Beef in the Instant Pot
- What To Do If Your Instant Pot Rice Is Too Sticky
- Hard Boiled Eggs Instant Pot Recipe | Quick and Easy Recipe 5 5 5 Eggs
- Instant Pot Soft Boiled Eggs