Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. I might receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Whether you’re craving for some simple comfort food or are just looking to put that chicken to use, this Instant Pot chicken stroganoff ticks all the right boxes!
Super easy to make, packed full of flavor and ready in minutes in your instant pot- that’s what this Instant Pot chicken stroganoff is all about.
But before you get started and give it a try yourself, here are a few tips and tricks for you to make sure you nail it!
What’s a Stroganoff Sauce Made Of?
A stroganoff sauce is basically a very simple sauce made using a butter or flour roux.
It is a flavorful sauce that also packs in mushrooms, garlic and onions, and is finished up with a broth and some sour cream for that touch of creaminess and tanginess.
How Do I Add More Flavor to My Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff ?
There are a ton of ways to add more flavor to your chicken stroganoff. For instance, you can add in some mushroom soup powder or any other soup mix of your choice.
When adding spices and flavoring agents like garlic, onions and mushrooms, don’t be shy. Sea salt also makes for an excellent addition to stroganoff, so if you have that, make sure you add that too.
And of course, when everything else fails, a stock cube can do the job too!
I Don’t Have Egg Noodles. What Should I Do?
While egg noodles are usually the best, if you’ve run out or just don’t fancy a trip to the supermarket, you can still make do with some rice!
Just imagine all that dreamy sauce coating some fluffy steamed rice- heavenly right?
Supplies for Chicken Stroganoff
- Nonstick inner pot | Using a nonstick inner pot makes cleanup a breeze.
- Wooden spoons | Wooden spoons are the best kitchen tool around.
- Glass storage containers with lids | These storage containers are so handy for saving leftovers for lunch and even taking them to the office to reheat for a quick meal while you work.
How Do I Keep the Sour Cream From Curdling?
When cooking in an Instant Pot, this is a common issue a lot of people tend to face, but there’s actually a pretty easy way to make sure your sour cream doesn’t end up curdling and ruin all your efforts.
Remember that sour cream curdles when you add it directly into hot liquid.
Tempering or heating the sour cream a little by mixing it together with hot liquid, and then combining might be a little extra step, but it’ll ensure that your sauce is perfectly creamy and rich and has the right texture.
Easy Side Ideas for the Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff
If you’re preparing chicken stroganoff for some guests coming over, you might be hunting for some good sides to go along with it. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Garlic bread
- Sautéed potatoes
- A simple veggie salad
- Steamed beans
- Roasted potatoes
- Braised red cabbage
- Stir fried green beans
- Potato gnocchi
- A simple rocket salad
- Steamed or roasted asparagus
- Garlic roasted cauliflower
- Steamed or stir fried broccoli
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 28-ounces chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 16-ounce package egg noodles
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black cracked pepper
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode. Place diced onion, garlic, carrots, and celery into the pot. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add in chicken. Turn off sauté mode.
- Fill broth to just over the chicken mixture in the pot. Do not fill all the way. You just want to cover the vegetables and chicken. Add in rosemary, salt, and pepper. Place lid on the pot. Set valve to sealed position.
- Set high pressure or manual to 10 minutes. Once the pot stops counting release pressure.
- Cook pasta on stove as directed. It's best to cook it separately.
- Mix cornstarch and heavy cream together. Whisk well. Add to pot while stirring.
- Set sauté mode back on and let come to a roaring boil for 5 minutes then turn off and let cool some. The cooling process will help the heavy cream and cornstarch thicken.
- Drain pasta and lightly stir it into the Instant Pot chicken and vegetables mixture.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of sour cream. If you would like it thicker then add a little more sour cream.
- Serve topped with fresh rosemary and cracked black pepper.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 483Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 179mgSodium: 1404mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 53g